184-868 Ald Seaxe [OOC]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

Re: 184-868 Ald Seaxe [OOC]

Post Number:#16  Postby mark » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:45 am

Dolfr could travel close to Dísa's settlement, but wait just outside of it. Far enough away not to cause a problem, but close enough to satisfy the GM. :P
mark

Site Admin

Topic Posts: 18
Vikingr: Game Master

Post Number:#17  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:12 pm

We dont have a loot of food. so my hopes where that Dolfer cold do some hunting or fishing whit part of the crew while we waite.
Jon Reinhardt

Donator

Topic Posts: 10
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Post Number:#18  Postby mark » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:31 pm

Dísa could be highly influential to the campaign outcome, but if Dolfr won't go and nobody wants to talk Doflr out of staying behind then I guess that will be okay.

Hunting nearby Jever won't be permissible, hunting farther away from town might, but is risky without knowing who owns the land and the local laws. Also, there is a chance of being ambushed/attacked while alone in a foreign land. Dolfr has very limited hunting skill, no traps, tracking or bow skill, just survival. So it would be small game snares and foraging eggs, berries etc. Enough for him to survive, but not really enough to supply the rest of the crew. One roll per day.

Survival: Hunting/Foraging Outcome
Crit, 2 food
Success, 1 food
Fail, 0 food
Fumble, dangerous encounter

Fishing is a possibility, but the reduced crew would have to put to sea to catch any fish. I believe Sulki has the only fishing gear (which could be loaned), so it would mean 1 man fishing for his own survival - rolling Survival once a day to provide a fish for himself each day, or Customs at Formidable difficulty to catch more fish. One roll per day.

Survival: Fishing Outcome
Crit, 2 food
Success, 1 food
Fail, 0 food
Fumble, lose fishing gear

OR

Formidable Customs: Fishing Outcome
Crit, 2d4 food,
Success, 1d4 food
Fail, 0 food
Fumble, lose the fishing gear

Before you roll Jon, I want to know who is going with Sulki and exactly who else is doing what? Thanks.

PS. Don't forget docking fees of 1d per day. ;)
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#19  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:29 am

Suggestion: Tryggr goes with Sulki (if that obsternate dork ashore will even let us ashore), then the rest stays with the ship to guard it, as neither I or Tryggr trusts theese hostile locals to not try to take our ship if we all go. I don't really care if we all stay together or not; if Dolfr insists on staying behind, I'm quite confident that Jon as an experienced rpg'er understands that he will be out of the loop for some posts to come. If Dolfr wants to come with us for safety, then we're all together. I get the feeling that the GM thinks meeting this NPC is important for our plot, and we need all the help we can get in this gritty setting.
Bjorn Are Stolen

Topic Posts: 5
Vikingr: Tryggr

Post Number:#20  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:03 am

While Sulki goes to do plott suff im thinking that Dolfer could take the rest of the crew and ship and sail to the Breach close to the monastery. There was a wood there where we can hunt and or we could try to fish on the way. Also then we dont have to pay the docking fees. I guess we could come back and get them in two days. Yes i might be illegal to hunt in the forest and fish in the waters. But thats a risk im willing to take.
Jon Reinhardt

Donator

Post Number:#21  Postby mark » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:27 am

Bjorn is right, besides just generally being not good for the plot, this increases the amount of work I have to do and creates other 'behind-the-scenes' problems for me... ;)

...but I'm laughing because getting the PCs to follow GM recommendations is like herding cats! I said "no you cannot do this", then later offered a compromise, but the players have essentially ignored me. :lol:
herding cats.png

So the plan is to sail to the beach where there was a battle (in the area of active Frisian pirates), without Sulki. Of course you guys know that sailing is dependant on semi-favourable weather & tides, but without a skilled Navigator and with lower average of Seamanship there may be additional risks. It is not really clear how long it will take (or how far it is) - the PCs have never sailed there from Jever (they were on foot) so Sulki cannot give much navigation advice except to follow the coast east. Walking by road is about 63km, so really over two days if walking, but as Jon points out that would incur docking fees of 1d per day.

Wodenstowe (Dísa's home) is about 18km from Jever, easily achievable in about 2-3 daymarks of casual walking for Sulki & Tryggr, subject to any encounters. In fact, if both men were not burdened and chose to hurry, they could be there and back in a single day, with luck.

It should be clear that Dolfr would find it exceedingly difficult to sail to the beach (if he can find it), walk to the wood, spend a day hunting/fishing/foraging and return on the tides in time to meet Sulki in a day or a day & a half. Just saying... :P

Anyway, I am resigned to take as much time as I need to sort this out, since this is what you guys want! Please be prepared for this to take quite a bit longer than normal for me to post an update(s) and for potentially bad outcomes. You have been warned - this is the players choice. :twisted: :shifty:

I will start work on the next update.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#22  Postby NMorgan » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:52 pm

My apologies for not posting. I've been sick this past week and still getting back on my feet. Catching up now. Seems the plan is more or less for Sulki to find Disa while some ill-advised shenanigans go on?
NMorgan

Donator

Topic Posts: 11
Vikingr: Sulki

Post Number:#23  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:28 pm

If its that far away it properly not a good idea to sail there. I Guess we will have to hang around in the town then. What i want is for Sulki to do his thing and what the rest of us do can be resolved by a skill roll or two.
Jon Reinhardt

Donator

Post Number:#24  Postby mark » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:24 am

Sorry to hear you've been ill, Nathan!

It makes more roleplay sense for Dolf to hang around town and is quite a bit easier for me to handle (no travel calculations etc). Hunting/fishing rolls aren't possible while in town, but there is not enough time for it anyway. Also, there will be docking fees of 1d per day, but here is 6 34d left in the ship's funds, so this is not a problem.

I assume that Biarni, Bjǫrn, Lofi & Finni are staying with the ship as well? Unless I hear different, they will stay with Dolfr & the ship.

I'll start working on the update. Thanks.
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#25  Postby NMorgan » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:36 pm

Anything else the players want to ask, or want Sulki to ask?
NMorgan

Donator

Post Number:#26  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:51 am

No, I'm fine :) I think you've covered all bases
Bjorn Are Stolen

Post Number:#27  Postby mark » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:49 am

Does that mean you guys are done with the current scene? If so, what/where next?

EDIT: My mother passed away last night. Please understand there may be limited story updates for a little while. Suggest you post as much detail about your current & future plans as possible to make best use of the time. Thanks.
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#28  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:35 pm

My condolances.
Don't feel any preassure for posting regularly for my sake, I'll try and check in roughly once pr.day.

Tryggr cannot really think of anything more he wants to discuss with the Seer, and is happy to return to the ship and the relative safety of the crew.
Bjorn Are Stolen

Post Number:#29  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:43 pm

My condolances.
Im off on hollydays for a while now so i guess there will be abouth two weeks before i can post much. But i guess it will take a while before im in the game again.
Jon Reinhardt

Donator

Post Number:#30  Postby NMorgan » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:02 am

My condolences Mark. Sorry to hear that. Take all the time you need.
NMorgan

Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Sǫgur