98-868 Sleppa [IC#2]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC#2]

Post Number:#121  Postby Scipio » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:12 pm

Gauging the mood of the men on the wall, Biarni tries not to look disheartened.

"I think it's best if I go to talk with them while the rest stay outside bowshot. I'll leave my spear behind. Gunnar, they may not understand your words but you can sound friendly enough. Let's go, and hope they have food and need silver."
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC#2]

Post Number:#122  Postby jezreel » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:45 pm

Gunnar puts his trusty axe into the wagon, ruefully looking back towards it as he walks to join BIarni

Putting his arm around Biarbi's shoulder, Gunnar grins at him

" Come on, BIarni, let's go and see what the charm-team can accomplish"
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC#2]

Post Number:#123  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:12 pm

As the two men leaves Dolfer says " Yes i hope you can get some supplies this time" Then he sits down to take care of the wounded. And to talk a bit whit Finni.
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC#2]

Post Number:#124  Postby Scipio » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:15 pm

Biarni smiles half-heartedly, obviously uncomfortable with the situation but trying to hide it. As they near the walls he keeps his shield on his back and his hands visibly empty, holding them up disarmingly as they enter shouting distance.

"Let's hope these are friendlier than the last lot..." he mutters.

"Ahem... HELLO THERE ON THE WALL!" he shouts in his friendliest Anglian.
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC#2]

Post Number:#125  Postby mark » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:58 pm

There is initially just silence from the wooden palisade, but eventually a single word reply in Anglian is yelled. The word is very similar to the Danish word and needs no translation, "Hwæt?"

hwæt [Anglian] = what
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC#2]

Post Number:#126  Postby Scipio » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:58 pm

Biarni keeps walking until he's at talking distance or until the Englar do something to convince him that's a bad idea. He keeps his hands visible and tries to look relaxed and friendly.

Once he's close enough that no one has to shout, he greets whoever looks like the spokesman.

"Good day. We are travelling from Snotingaham with a message of peace from king Burghred to the Dane lords at Jorvik. We wish to buy food for ourselves and our oxen, and the services of a healer for two of our men who were injured by bandits on the way."
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC#2]

Post Number:#127  Postby mark » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:07 pm

There is another long silence before the voice calls again to Biarni in Anglian, "What men are you and what message of peace do you carry?"

The voice pauses for a moment and then adds, "And how much sylfur do you have?"

There are some muffled laughs from behind the palisade where the warriors are looking down at Biarni, who is on the far side of a large water-filled ditch and probably looking rather insignificant to the defenders. Biarni notes that little town is particularly well fortified by land, although probably vulnerable to assault from the river. Nearby, just outside the town, are the charred and burnt remains of a couple of homes, evidence Danes had passed this way fairly recently.
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC#2]

Post Number:#128  Postby Scipio » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:37 pm

Biarni, deciding not to let the Englar rattle him, replies.

"My name is Biarni Grimirsson. My companion here is Gunnar Gunnarsson. We are Danes but Christians like you. We are tasked by King Burghred to bring word to the Ragnarssons in Jorvik that he accepts their offer of peace."

He pauses for a moment, to let his words sink in.

"We are not rich men, but we carry silver enough to pay for food. And a healer."
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC#2]

Post Number:#129  Postby mark » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:43 pm

The Mercians behind the wooden wall fall silent for a time, then they chatter amongst themselves (although too quietly to be understood). Eventually a man calls out what sounds a bit like, "What ....show.... Burghred cyning ...send."

Biarni wishes he spoke the Anglian tongue better, but he thinks they're asking for some sort of proof.
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC#2]

Post Number:#130  Postby Scipio » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:01 pm

Turning to Gunnar, Biarni translates to the best of his ability.

"It seems they want some kind of proof that we were sent by king Burghred. The medallions we were given by Master Wolf, perhaps?"
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC#2]

Post Number:#131  Postby jezreel » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:26 pm

Gunnar is doing his best to look amiable and as unthreatening as he can
He smiles quite a bit in the direction of the pallisade

Listening as Biarni asks him the question

" I guess so- what other proof do we have?"
" Shall we wander over a little closer and show them our shiny medallions?
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC#2]

Post Number:#132  Postby Scipio » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:25 pm

"That seems like the only thing to do."

Biarni fishes out his medallion from beneath his tunic and walks closer, holding it up alongside Gunnar's.

"The king's man, Master Wolf, gave us these to show we travel on his business."
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC#2]

Post Number:#133  Postby mark » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:14 am

There is more silence, perhaps a minute or more, before a man calls something like, "Walk on and take your message of peace to Eoferwic. You are not welcome here."
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC#2]

Post Number:#134  Postby Scipio » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:49 am

Biarni translates briefly and softly: "They want us to move on. They say we are not welcome. Sons of goats."

To the men on the wall: "We do the King's work. Without us, there is more war. The Danes will return. If you wish for peace instead, let us buy food and hire a healer. Then we leave"

To himself: ***What is wrong with these people? Do they want the Ragnarssons to return and burn their hovels to the ground? Why are all Englar so stupid?***

He keeps his friendliest smile on.
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC#2]

Post Number:#135  Postby mark » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:42 pm

The Englar reply, "We have no food to sell, Danes come before the harvest. Bring sick man to the gate, and we ask healer to look. And bring your silver."
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

PreviousNext

Return to Sǫgur

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron