98-868 Sleppa [IC]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC]

Post Number:#16  Postby NMorgan » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:12 pm

Sulki copies Erafar in doing what he can to make sure his weapons are in as good working order as they can be given the circumstances. He nods at Dolfr. "That's a good idea. The more we can disguise the contents of the wagon the better. When we go, we'll send Hrollf and Lofi out ahead. Hopefully, they can warn us of any likely trouble. Once we're on the road it might not be bad to have someone a bit behind as well, but we can decide that once we're clear of the Englar."
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC]

Post Number:#17  Postby Scipio » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:32 am

"No need to send anyone ahead just yet... That will be more important if we want Hrolleifr to hunt, I think? Right now, we'll need to conceal who we are. A shave, a haircut, and borrowing each other's tunics for the night is as much as we can do, I think.

I'm thinking the tokens we got from Master Wolf might work here too. If Sulki does the talking and the rest of us keep quiet we might get through... as long as we have a decent explanation. We don't even have to lie, we could say that we're on the Wolf's business. That's true enough."
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC]

Post Number:#18  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:58 pm

" Yes i agree, whit Bjarni. Lets try the medalions first and see how that works out. And i think its smart to have everyone close to the wagons. IT nothing else the wagons can give us some protection if it comes to a fight."
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC]

Post Number:#19  Postby NMorgan » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:37 pm

Sulki mulls it over and nods. "Fair enough. That will also make the wagon easier to defend, should it come to it, and it very well might. So, we tell the guards that we're on a mission for the Wulf into enemy territory, which is possibly a violation of the treaty. What if they delay us to get confirmation from Wulf or his agents? Try to fight our way across the bridge? We'll be chased most likely, and with a heavy wagon we won't be outrunning anyone. I hate not having food, but simply waiting until tomorrow night seems a lot less risky, now that we come to it."
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC]

Post Number:#20  Postby jezreel » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:01 pm

Gunnar sighs and puts his hand on his belt- he pulls out the top of his trousers to show the weight he has lost

" An army can't fight on an empty stomach"
" We have to make this work through guile and cunning-"
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC]

Post Number:#21  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:20 am

Dolfer slaps Gunnar on the back trying to cheer him up " We will find something on the way. We always do. We do have some hunters and there might be some villages on the way that we can trade whit. i guess Ubbi rather wants us to use a few coin on food than starving leaving the silver on the road." Thinking on the silver Dolfer goes to inspect the barrels to make sure its all silver.
Dolfer ask Bjarni. " have we checked that its all silver. That the barrels are not full of rocks or brass coins or something like that?"
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC]

Post Number:#22  Postby jezreel » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:13 pm

Gunnar ambles over

" How do we check a whole barrelfull of pennies?"
" It will take us hours to re-fill the barrel if we empty it? "


Then Gunnar stops and looks thoughtful - then a glint appears in his eyes

"Come to think of it guys, what's to stop us from helping ourself to some of the loot?"
"Would anyone notice if we siphoned off , say, a tenth, as our "commission"? "
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC]

Post Number:#23  Postby mark » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:55 pm

Finni says light-heartedly with a smile to Gunnar, "You would steal from Ubbi and then look him in the eye? You're a much braver man than me, Ǫxbrjótr."

Lofi comments in a slightly uncomfortable way, "What if Storri can see into our hearts? Our reputation will be damaged even if our lives are not forfeit. I'd vote against the idea, but that's just me. We've been promised a reward, and it looked to be a very fair one."

Finni laughs at Lofi, "I didn't do it for a reward, I did it for Vágrvík and my friends. How are they served by deceiving Ubbi?"

Lofi shrugs but says no more.
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC]

Post Number:#24  Postby Scipio » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:10 pm

"Nothing we can do about it now if it is mostly rocks. And I agree with Finni and Lofi. I would not mind a share of this but it's worth less than my word and my head... and there's the witch-man to consider."
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC]

Post Number:#25  Postby NMorgan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:12 pm

"After having convinced Arnis it was a bad idea, and having quite possibly used up any potential good will among the Englar, we're not now going to turn around and try to steal from Ubbi. We only managed to get about half of what he told us to aim for as it is. It would be foolish for a host of reasons." Sulki responds in a we're-not-even-going-to-entertain-the-notion sort of tone.
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC]

Post Number:#26  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:43 pm

Blushing a bit Dolfer say "No, no. I dont mean that we take some of the silver. Im saying if its possibility its better to use a few bits to by some food on the way so we are strong enough to get the silver there nothing else." looking at the skeptical men Dolfer says " I have the same motivations as you. But after all its better that a we trinkets are missing than 3 barrels of silver is stranded on the road whit a group of staved corpse looking after it.
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC]

Post Number:#27  Postby mark » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:59 pm

Time: Náttmál , 98-868 [ ~13hr day]
Weather: Cool & overcast
Wind: Moderate Breeze* from the south west
Rations: 18 rations
Feed: Estimated to be enough for 6 days for 2 oxen (on the wagon)
, ranged @formidable
Times of Day
miðnætti = midnight, 11pm-1am
ótta = last of night, 2-4am
miðr morgun = midmorning, 5-7am
dagmál= day time, 8-10am
hádegi= noon, 11am-1pm
undorn= afternoon, 2-4pm
miðaftann= mid-evening, 5-7pm
náttmál = nigh time, 8-10pm

The Menn af Vágrvík are alone in the dark of the big, walled city they’ve just sold, but they’ve made a plan. With very limited food supplies, just two days of food each, and having been hungry for two days already, there is no time to waste waiting for the Mercians to pull back their encampment to the east, they would have to chance their luck crossing their picket lines tonight. With luck, the Mercian sentries and scouts may have been told of the peace and will let the Danes through, but the problem was a wagon with a small group of men leaving at night, earlier than expected, would draw attention. When you have 150,000d on your wagon, the last thing you need is unwanted attention…

But who was to say the Mercians would be peaceful? Maybe word had not yet spread and they would treat all Danes as hostile? That might entail a fight, and the odds were definitely not in the Danes favour, although the darkness might be. However, the plan was to lead with hostilities, but a mix of guile and subterfuge, and the cunning use of the silfr medallions that seven of the nine men wore around their necks.

The men split up to complete various tasks as quickly as possible. Gunnar used one of the ruined old shirts to fashion a banner-like object which he hangs over the west gate when it is complete. Erafar and Dolfr hitched the oxen to the wagon. Lofi, Hrolleifr, Bjorn, Finni load the barrels with pennies onto the wagons after checking it was all there (which it was) and not rocks, of course they had no time or light to actually count it. Biarni and Sulki fill the wagon with half the remaining feed, enough for each beast for about six and a half days. Erafar & Doflr conceal the barrels as best they can with bedrolls and the loose animal feed. All the men hydrate from the city well and fill their water-skins for the journey ahead before they walk with the wagon to the north gate as Erafar leads the oxen.

They open the north gate and head out cautiously into the darkness. They see nobody, but they can’t see very far under the waning moon with an overcast sky [~50m]. Yet they know there are scouts and sentries around, somewhere. They quietly follow the road leading north, hoping to cross the bridge to the north east, their only dry way to get across the river and back to Jórvík.
The group walked slowly north alongside their laden wagon for about two and a half minutes until the road bent towards the north east. So far there was still no sign of any pickets. They walked slowly on for about another about another four minutes when on the periphery of their night-vision they can just see the silhouettes of a shadowy group of men standing on the road ahead. While at this distance no specifics or terrain can be determined, judging by the distance they've come from the city it seems as if these men might be guarding the river crossing. Counting their numbers is hard from this distance [~50m], but there are at least twelve men and probably less than twenty. With the enemy ahead, it was time for the Menn af Vágrvík to put their cunning plan into action.

MAP
ESTIMATED POSITIONS
X = Menn af Vágrvík
X = Mercian Pickets

X_Snotingaham.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC]

Post Number:#28  Postby Scipio » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:28 pm

"Alright, no one speak if you don't have to. If we're really lucky they might think us Englar from somewhere far away. Sulki, you will have to do the talking."

Biarni puts a hand on Skuggi's neck, hoping to keep the dog from barking.
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC]

Post Number:#29  Postby jezreel » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:15 pm

Gunnar feels his stomach tightening, and he grips his axe a little harder
This is going to be a little precarious and he suddenly misses the safety of the Town's walls and ramparts
He looks anxiously ahead
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 98-868 Sleppa [IC]

Post Number:#30  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:08 am

Dolfer nods to Bjarni to confirm that he will me quiet. As the get closer to the men. Dolfer tries to understand what is being said be out of the way but ready is something happens.
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

PreviousNext

Return to Sǫgur

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron