78-868 Gjald [IC]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#256  Postby NMorgan » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:19 pm

"Perhaps, perhaps... but I have an idea, Father. I think the six of us might just escort you back to a spot just before your encampment where you can there instruct us even as you were instructed to do, only in plain view, yes? This way, all the Englar can see firsthand the truth - that we all here act in good faith and are indeed more than willing to learn of your God and that we also seek to fulfill our end of the bargain already struck. Our lords here will be satisfied, we will be satisfied, your lords also will be satisfied, the peace so desired and already agreed to by all shall be firmly established, you will be saved from having to make a lonely trek back later, and most of all, God will know you did your very best effort in teaching us of Him and saving our souls, yes? This seems the best way all around."

Sulki turns to Dolfr and outlines what he said in Danish, ending with a questioning note to see if Dolfr had any objections.
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#257  Postby mark » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:19 pm

Fæder Eadward frowns at Sulki and replies in Anglian, "When the faithless repent they do not choose where is appropriate for their instruction and baptism, but I shall report your words very carefully to Burghred cyning, and it is not for me to say what will happen next."

With a look of mild pleasure, he adds, "Perhaps this means I will be proved right all along."

Fæder Eadward starts walking away (west), back towards the Mercian encampment.
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#258  Postby jezreel » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:30 am

Gunnar goes over to Sulki and quietly encourages him

" I think that was a very diplomatic and clever answer- well done"

Then he adds, louder to all

" He seemed a bit of an arrogant twat, didn't he?"
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#259  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:47 pm

Erafar laughs nervously *Boy, am I ready to get the Helheim away from this godforsaken town!*-he thinks...
User avatar
Bjorn Are Stolen

Member
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:45 pm
Location: Mandal, Agder, Norway
Vikingr: Tryggr

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#260  Postby NMorgan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:41 pm

jezreel wrote:Gunnar goes over to Sulki and quietly encourages him

" I think that was a very diplomatic and clever answer- well done"



Sulki shrugs rather noncommittally, but smiles. "Thanks. Though we'll have to wait to see if it were actually well done or not until we see what new trouble it brings us."

Sulki glances back into the city to see if there were any sign of Biarni and Arnis yet, still half debating with himself the idea of running after the priest, and taking him back with a blindfold if they had enough noisemakers present to make the city seem less dead. Not that the old man was likely to take kindly to a blindfold either. He'd probably take it as an impudent 'heathen' insult.

***I don't know that I trust the priest speaking with his king. He made it all too clear he would prefer and did argue for the siege and our deaths. I doubt he's going to argue very convincingly for meeting halfway on this.***

Every open course of action seemed like a terrible risk, and Sulki was starting to long for the sea again. Things seemed so much simpler and free out riding the waves.
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#261  Postby Scipio » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:30 am

Biarni, having run around half the city to gather up a crowd, eventually catches on that the Christ-wizard won't be entering the city and returns to the gate, a bit short of breath and thoroughly annoyed at the world in general.

"We can't wait until he decides to return. We'll need to send a messenger and try to get the Englar to agree on our... instruction... somewhere outside the city."
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#262  Postby jezreel » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:57 pm

GUnnar is troubled by the priest's visit

"It seems weird that he came on his own - I would have thought a couple of minders at least, considering there's a war on'n'all"
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#263  Postby mark » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:35 pm

Fæder Eadward, the old monk & priest, has walked back to the Mercian encampment alone, just as he came. He seemed like a determined and brave, or perhaps arrogant & foolhardy, sort of a man. But like him or not, the implication for securing the gjald was clear, turning him away might have jeopardised everything...

The minutes passed as the Menn af Vágrvík scratched their heads and wondered what this all meant and what they should now do. Having been running all over the city, Biarni has returned to the west gate with several of Arnis' and his men in tow, the rest of the other men arriving in a steady trickle. None of them seemed pleased at having been woken or interrupted from whatever they were doing with their free-time, not that they seemed to have any great love of the Menn af Vágrvík after they did nothing for Ostarablót had encouraged them to be hostages for a year. Good deal or no, they were still bound to feel disenfranchised by their 'comrades'. Coupled with the still recent memory of their heavy losses suffered at the battle of Hreopandune under Dolfr's leadership and it wasn't hard to imagine that these men are going to be very reluctant to cooperate with anything further.

Sulki made a point of asking Arnis about buildings nearby, but Arnis had hardly been outside the walls any more than the Menn af Vágrvík. He explained that he knew there were supposedly outlying farms and steadings, which clearly wasn't news, but he imagined they'd mostly been looted and/or burned to the ground either before Snotingaham was captured or otherwise by the departing Danes to deprive the reconquering Mercians. It seemed pretty obvious to Sulki that wandering around the countryside in the hope to find a still-standing-but-looted barn or hall was not going to be agreeable to Fæder Eadward while there was a stórr steinn hóf inside Snotingaham.

Bjǫrn, apparently confused by the last enocunter, asks curiously, "If you want to get washed so badly, why didn't you let him in?" Which of course makes Arnis and his men laugh.

stórr steinn hóf = large stone temple (ie: a cathedral/church)
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#264  Postby Scipio » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:50 pm

"We can't have him going back and tell his king how many men are holding the city, can we now?" Biarni is more than a little exasperated at his carefully built deal coming apart at the seams.
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#265  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:17 pm

Frowning Dolfer says " Nobody want to get washed. Thats not what this is about. Anyhow everyone needs to wash and get clean every now and then." Then whit a evil smile he goes on "What about getting the priest back and not letting him out.Or we could cut his throat and dump in the well or hide him somewhere as we leave." Dolfer clearly irritated by the situation.
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#266  Postby mark » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:45 pm

Bjǫrn still seems puzzled, "Oh, you think he's a spy? Isn't there some way to make sure he doesn't see anything. Poke his eyes out or something?"
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#267  Postby Scipio » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:43 pm

"Any Englar we let in will be spies. And I fear they may want to have him back before they pay..."
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#268  Postby jezreel » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:59 pm

Gunnar has been thinking, sometimes a hazardous occupation for him, but he has an idea and wants to share it with the others

" Hey guys, I have been thinking, and a sort of plan has occurred to me - tell me what you think"


" If this priest comes back, we could let him in, but we will need a handy explanation for why the place seems so deserted"
" Well, how about we pretend there is a meeting of some sort on the other side of town- maybe tell him it's a religious event of some sort"
" We could have a bonfire ready- bang on some empty barrels for drums, and the general silence could be explained by the hushed tones that accompany a mystical ceremony or somesuch"


GUnnar pauses for a second to let the idea sink in a bit

"We could even express pleasure that he has arrived because it's a great opportunity for him to move without harm or threat through the town"

And then warming to the task, and getting a little more excitable

" AND, we could even say we were uncomfortable taking part, and what a great time to be learning our new faith - the one and true faith! "


Gunnar starts laughing at this point at his own joke, then stops and looks expectantly at the others

"Well, whadya all think?"


He looks a bit like a little boy
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#269  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:05 pm

"It sure sounds better than beeing dragged through the streets in chains to be crucified" -Erafar replies...
User avatar
Bjorn Are Stolen

Member
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:45 pm
Location: Mandal, Agder, Norway
Vikingr: Tryggr

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#270  Postby Scipio » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:23 am

"We might have to go get him, and I'd prefer to keep him outside the walls... but yes, it might work. It would require all of us to do what we can to convince him." Biarni looks over at their allies, trying to smile confidently and not feeling it.
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

PreviousNext

Return to Sǫgur

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron