78-868 Gjald [IC]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#226  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:32 pm

Erafar joins in on the laugh, albeit somewhat hesistant, then forgets about his idea.
User avatar
Bjorn Are Stolen

Member
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:45 pm
Location: Mandal, Agder, Norway
Vikingr: Tryggr

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#227  Postby Scipio » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:58 am

As soon as he can find an opportunity for a private conversation, Biarni takes Erafar aside.

"I don't think we need to fear theft... Or rather, I think the insult is too great a risk. It would be prudent to have something for the journey... And if people are hungry, it might be hard to convince them to leave some. If you get the chance it might not be a bad idea to hide enough for a day or two."
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#228  Postby jezreel » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:30 pm

Gunnar looks over at the emabrassed teenager

" maybe your idea wasn't so bad after all- why don't you scout around a little and see if you can find a decent place to stash some for the food?"


And looking at the boy with a newly enquiring eye, he adds, choosing to be diplomatic

"Come to think of it, scouting would suit you - you have the physique for it , you have shown your courage and determination"
"You could train up your sneaking - it will come in very handy at some point"
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#229  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:02 pm

"OK, I'll do it", Erafar says, thinking, **an order is an order**...

GM EDIT: Minor speech/thought format-style edit
User avatar
Bjorn Are Stolen

Member
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:45 pm
Location: Mandal, Agder, Norway
Vikingr: Tryggr

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#230  Postby mark » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:36 pm

Time:Dagmál, 97-868 [ ~13hr day]
Weather: Cool & overcast
Wind: Strong Breeze* from the south west
Rations: None
Feed: estimated to be enough for 2 weeks for 2 oxen
Strong Breeze* = 2/3 movement, ranged @herculean
Times of Day
miðnætti = midnight, 11pm-1am
ótta = last of night, 2-4am
miðr morgun = midmorning, 5-7am
dagmál= day time, 8-10am
hádegi= noon, 11am-1pm
undorn= afternoon, 2-4pm
miðaftann= mid-evening, 5-7pm
náttmál = nigh time, 8-10pm


The next seven days are spent shivering in the cold, windy and snowy weather behind the walls of Snotingaham, waiting for news from the Mercians about the gjald. Each man taking his turn to keep watch, although the enemy patrols seemed to be keeping a less aggressive distance, well out of all missile range in the strong winds. Whether this was due to the accord Biarni had negotiated with Mæġester Wulf or was just simply due to the unfavourable weather was hard to guess, but with so few men to keep a lookout, any respite was welcome if it meant the city wouldn’t (for now) be overrun by thousands of angry Englar bent on revenge when they learned how few defenders there really were.

Erafar was a little sneaky, he carefully & quietly removed eighteen rations from the two remaining barrels of food and shared them among the Menn af Vágrvík for their journey back to Jórvík, and so far nobody seemed any the wiser. However, that meant the food ran out a little earlier than expected, with nothing to eat in the morning and only a half ration for every man yesterday; all the food was now gone and the five barrels were empty. Tummies were growling...
Monk.png

There was no shortage of animal feed for the oxen, Erafar estimated the stocks he had should be good for another couple of weeks. Erafar was also able to report that the oxen were in fair condition and were ready to transport the wagon when needed. While mucking out the animals one day, Erafar considered that transportation of the animal feed for a long journey back to Jórvík might be an issue if the wagon was laden with barrels of silfr.

Boredom, cold and tedium was beginning to set into the Menn af Vágrvík. Where were the Mercians? Mæġester Wulf had said it would take a few days, but it had been a week now and still no word, no messenger. The new day had brought slightly less chill temperatures to a, dark, overcast sky. The winds had shifted to strong breeze blowing from the south west, enough to seriously hamper archery and to reduce movement a little.

After a couple of hours on watch since first light, Tjodolfr, who was at the west burg gæt, saw a man in a brown dress approaching from the east. He was obviously coming alone from the Mercian war camp, and he looked suspiciously like one of their Kristr seiðmaðr. The man waved up at the gate from where Dolfr looked down at him, was he casting some sort of spell? What did this partially bald, old man want? He speaks briefly, but with limited skill at the Anglian tongue and in the strong breeze, Dolfr isn’t sure of the incantation the man is evoking to bewitch them all. It might be safest to run outside and slay the man before he puts a curse on them all or summons evil spirits to attack them…

Kristr seiðmaðr = Christ wizard
silfr = silver
West Burg Gæt [Anglian] = west city gate
Jórvík = York
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#231  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:57 pm

Dolfer looks around to see it there is any others he knows close by. Then he waves back at the man it case it a greeting. Then he turn to his left and tries to spit over his shoulder to avert the evil this brown clad man. Dolfer then yell to the others " Hey there is a old fart waving at us. I guess it one of these priest or monks of the nailed god. Im letting him in." Then Dolfer goes down and opens the gate and yell to the man in Danish " Hey you stop throwing nailed man spells at us ist unpolite and leads to all kind of mischief. Come in there and dont stay out in the wind. Someone as old dressed in rags might get a cold or even the lung rot." Then Dolfer waves the old man towards him.
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#232  Postby jezreel » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:23 pm

Gunnar trots over to get a look at the Christ Wizard
He has heard a few rumours but is quite curious - the man appears to be dressed very simply

"He wouldn't be here up to mischief all alone unless he is a Master Magician"
" I guess this is part of the deal that Biarni brokered"
" Is that right BIarni?"
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#233  Postby Scipio » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:59 pm

"What? A magician?"

Biarni, not having seen the Christ-Wizard approach, is confused.
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#234  Postby NMorgan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:26 pm

Sulki looks at Biarni and shrugs. "Guess we'd better go see what is going on." Seeing Dolf moving to open the doors he winces, not at all sure they actually want to invite this 'wizard' in. The deal was, after all, far from complete and if the Englar were to discover the ruse now, all bets would be off. Sulki stands in the gateway and looks at the brown-robed figure before speaking in Northumbrian.

"Greetings and good morning. I am Sulki. You are one of the Christ priests, yes? How can we help you?"
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#235  Postby Scipio » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:49 pm

Seeing the gate open, Biarni nearly panics.

"Don't let him in!"
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#236  Postby mark » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:43 pm

The old man stands at the now open west gate and smiles at Sulki. Over the strong breeze he replies in the Anglian tongue, "Greetings Sulki. Yes, I am Fæder Eadward, a munuc and preost. You are Denisc? You speak our language well. I was asked to come here to help prepare six men to be baptised."

Scipio wrote:Seeing the gate open, Biarni nearly panics.

"Don't let him in!"

Fæder Eadward turns to the sound of Biarni's panicked voice and then turns back to Sulki to comment, "I don't speak as much of your language as you clearly do of mine, but I know enough to realise that I am not welcome here. Should I report back that my services as not required?"

Fæder Eadward half smiles and looks as if he is considering walking away back to the safety of his own people.



fæder [Anglian] = father
Denisc [Anglian] = Danish
munuc and preost [Anglian] = monk and priest
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#237  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:35 am

Erafar speaks in a low voice to anyone nearby: "Perhaps if we make up some superstition that he will put us under a spell or somthing, and that we therefore want to put some cloth over his eyes, he can't see how few we are?"
User avatar
Bjorn Are Stolen

Member
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:45 pm
Location: Mandal, Agder, Norway
Vikingr: Tryggr

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#238  Postby NMorgan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:47 am

"Such a report will not be necessary, Fæder. It is true, however, that there are very many within the walls who are superstitious and excitable. There were even mutterings that you were putting a spell on the town as you approached." Sulki shrugs and smiles apologetically. "Please, excuse their.... excitability."

"Yes, I am Dane. I had an excellent tutor in this tongue when I was younger. May I ask what is involved with these preparations?"
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#239  Postby jezreel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:55 am

Gunnar eyes the man

" He looks pretty harmless to me - I can't see any magic wands or such"
" I think he's either harmless or enormously powerful, in which case it doesn't matter what we do, so it's probably best that we just play along"


"Looking at Biarni

" I think it's OK, Biarni - don't worry - Gunnar will take care of you " and winks
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#240  Postby Scipio » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:15 pm

"Thank you, I'll just watch you hold the walls when a thousand Englar come to take the city" Biarni mutters, hopefully too low for the Christ-Wizard to hear.
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

PreviousNext

Return to Sǫgur

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron