69-868 Hreopandune [IC]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

Re: 69-868 Hreopandune [IC]

Post Number:#121  Postby Scipio » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:00 am

Biarni nods in agreement. "The men you sent with us fought well. They broke two Englar shieldwalls when they surrounded us. Too bad we could not sack the hof."
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 69-868 Hreopandune [IC]

Post Number:#122  Postby NMorgan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:48 pm

Sulki nods in agreement. Of course, sacking the town had never been the objective. Likely that objective may have been more difficult to achieve if the Danes had succeeded so well. Leaving a comrade behind after having scattering the enemy would have been.... tricky to explain.

He doesn't say as much, however, instead he sits and eats and watches Ubbi, guessing that the Lord must have some matter or task on his mind beyond hearing a story he must have heard two or three times already.
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 69-868 Hreopandune [IC]

Post Number:#123  Postby mark » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:42 pm

Ubbi glances at Storri and smiles at him, Storri smiles back at Ubbi.

Ubbi says to the men, "Sacking of hóf is something I want to avoid, I had to convince Ívarr to repurpose this one rather than burn it down. Why go out of our way to anger the Neglð Guð? Surely he is already annoyed with us for invading his lands, if we destroy his halls he will never forgive us and it certainly will not sit well with my Frisians. Also, if we hope to settle this land then we must win over the hearts of the local folk. In time they will come to accept Forn Siðr again, but we won't speed up that process if we slaughter & enslave their munkar. I don't care if you take their silver, but if you wish to continue working for me you must learn the ways of politics."

Ubbi pauses long enough to let his words have meaning, "Well you have succeeded, you did as you were asked so I will reward you as promised, by matching the Englar offer. Ívarr gave you silver, I gave you the means to rescue your friends, we offered you a straight trade on your ship for a snjekka, and we promised you land. So Donneceaster belongs to you, for as long as you can hold it."

Ubbi picks up the sword, the garnets on the hilt glisten in the candlelight as he speaks, "You are free to go as soon as the siege has begun, but to maintain secrecy I want you to remain isolated here until that time. Actually, I can offer you more work commanding more men, a way to earn this sword."

He draws a small portion of the blade from the scabbard, just enough to see the intricate patterns in the iron, "This belonged to the Norþhymbra æþeling who we slaughtered at the second battle of Jórvík, and it is supposed to have some sort of enchantment. I don't know about that, but it is good iron, valuable and it looks pretty. Once it may have had a name, but I do not know what that is."

Storri comments, "Don't ask for all the details before accepting. It is a confidential mission and must remain so until the very last moment. If you do not need work then there are plenty of men who will want a chance to earn this sword. Although, it could be that finding what you seek in Norþhymbra will be a lot easier if you carry something that shows you are respected by Jarl Ubbi..."

Ubbi raises his eyebrows and smiles, "Well, are you interested?"

æþeling [Anglian] = crown prince
munkar = monks
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 69-868 Hreopandune [IC]

Post Number:#124  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:59 pm

Erafar sips the sour ale and his eyes shifts over to his leaders, awaiting their descition..
User avatar
Bjorn Are Stolen

Member
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:45 pm
Location: Mandal, Agder, Norway
Vikingr: Tryggr

Re: 69-868 Hreopandune [IC]

Post Number:#125  Postby Scipio » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:33 pm

Relieved that the great men seem pleased, and wanting to show eagerness to make up for the comment about hof-looting they disliked, Biarni finds his tongue more quickly: "May we know something about when this task is to be done, and how long it might take?"

"
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 69-868 Hreopandune [IC]

Post Number:#126  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:20 am

Looking at Sulki first and then towards Ubbi. " Yes we do not have any work to do at the moment. So leading some more men does sound like a interesting proposal. Im all for it."
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 69-868 Hreopandune [IC]

Post Number:#127  Postby NMorgan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:40 pm

Sulki nods at Dolfr's glance and follows with his own agreement. "I too am interested."
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 69-868 Hreopandune [IC]

Post Number:#128  Postby mark » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:47 pm

Storri points vaguely towards Biarni then turns to Ubbi and says, "He's the merchant."

Ubbi grunts in acknowledgement to Storri, then addressing Dolfr and Biarni he says, "Good, we'll move you quietly to another building, there you will stay out of sight until you are summoned again, food and water will be brought to you. I'll make sure there is a yard for you to get some fresh air and to exercise, but we'll keep you separated from the other men for now. I expect that will be for about a week, although it depends how quickly the Englar are moving, but I'm quite sure they will be here before the last quarter of the moon. Anyway, when it is time I will give you the details of your mission and assign you the men under your command. How long it takes you will depend on your own skill, but ironically the longer it takes the better, at least from my point of view."

The new moon is in about five days, so the Menn af Vágrvík quickly realise they have about eleven days until the last quarter of the moon, which is just over a week before Ostarablót on the full moon.

Storri giggles effeminately.
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 69-868 Hreopandune [IC]

Post Number:#129  Postby Scipio » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:41 am

Biarni's interest in their new task is overshadowed by his confusion and unease after Storri singles him out. Why is Biarni's profession significant now? What does the witch know? Does this have anything to do with the Gildi's interests? He dares not ask any of these questions yet.
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 69-868 Hreopandune [IC]

Post Number:#130  Postby NMorgan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:08 am

Sulki looks over at Biarni, smiles and shrugs, as surprised as Biarni appeared to be.
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 69-868 Hreopandune [IC]

Post Number:#131  Postby jezreel » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:00 pm

Gunnar remains confused as ever .
He looks at Storri, then at Ubbi, then back at Storri

Then he looks at his crewmates. There is no meaning anywhere, but he decides he is past caring.
They are still alive, thank the Norns and things appear to be getting better not worse, so there is that.

GUnnar finds himself reflecting on his home life more and more these days. He wonders what on earth made him feel like getting up and getting going. His life around his home, his village, was comfortable enough, and he misses his mum. He wonders what she is doing now?

Whatever, he's here now, and must make the best of it, but he thinks that if an opportunity to go home presents itself to him, then maybe....

His attention returns to the room, and the warriors, and his crewmates, and the confusion
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 69-868 Hreopandune [IC]

Post Number:#132  Postby mark » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:50 am

TOTAL ROLEPLAY POSTS
Fri Sep 07, 2018 to Sat Oct 20, 2018

(6 weeks & 1 days @ 4 posts per week = 24 posts expected)

Biarni 15 (62%)
Dolfr 27 (112%)
Erafar 11 (45%)
Gunnar 5 (20%)
Sulki 10 (41%)
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Previous

Return to Sǫgur

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron