67-868, Norþworþig [IC]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

Re: Norþworþig, 67-868AD [IC]

Post Number:#136  Postby mark » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:34 am

Time: Miðnætti, 68-868 [ ~13hr day]
Weather: Chill (cold night), partly cloudy
Wind: Light Breeze* from the southwest
*ranged @ hard

Times of Day
miðnætti = midnight, 11pm-1am
ótta = last of night, 2-4am
miðr morgun = midmorning, 5-7am
dagmál = day time, 8-10am
hádegi = noon, 11am-1pm
undorn = afternoon, 2-4pm
miðaftann = mid-evening, 5-7pm
náttmál = night time, 8-10pm


Mæġester Wulf indicates to one of his men who brings over the medallions. The silver disks with ribbons on so that they can be work around the neck, but what is striking is the similarity of these disks and the gold medallion given to them by Dísa, the seeress, both having a very similar image on both sides which is barely visible in the dim light from the rushlights. Unfortunately, Mæġester Wulf refuses to answer any questions about the disks, other than to say they will confer the status of ambassador and should allow safe passage.

The Menn af Vágrvík leave the church, back out in the high wind and driving rain, back to the pier where they get in the stolen boat or onto the raft they made. It takes at least an hour to row steadily back across the river to the northeast bank, into the land that is supposedly unpatrolled. Abandoning the vessels the men set off on foot, roughly retracing the way they had come.

It is a very cold, wet, slow and utterly depressing journey back to the spot where the men hid the first raft they built. Travelling in the high wind and partly at night made the march back take longer than it did to get to Norþworþig. They had each gained a large silver medallion, but they had lost two comrades, at least for now. But the big issue was they had no idea what news they were going to present to Hross and Ubbi. And having had no food for nearly four days certainly didn’t make things seem any rosier, but at least they could daydream about eating smelly, dried herring on their return to Snotingaham.

It was a little after midnight when the men found the spot where they had hidden their first raft, right on the river bank the divided the lands controlled by Danir ok Englar. Almost as mysteriously as the high wind and hail had arrived a day earlier, the wind switched direction and dropped off to just a light breeze and the driving rain finally stopped.

Water had gotten into almost all the mens’ clothing and much of their gear, until now there had been almost no way to light a fire or to keep dry. If they could find some dry tinder perhaps Dolfr could test his Survival skills by trying to light a camp fire and the men could change into their spare dry clothes. Also, all things considered, it might be a good time to discuss their plans before they cross the river and set foot back inside the Danir lǫg


Danir lǫg = Dane Law
Danir ok Englar = Danes & Angles
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: Norþworþig, 67-868AD [IC]

Post Number:#137  Postby jezreel » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:52 am

Gunnar loses patience

Without wanting to appear presumptuous, he waits for a pause in the conversation to ask Sulki

" My friend and comrade, I can see from your posture and your concentration that there are difficult decisions to be made"
"Why don't you summarise for us non-linguists that we may offer any insights we may have"
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: Norþworþig, 67-868AD [IC]

Post Number:#138  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 am

" yes I agree whit Gunnar. Maybe we should get out of this place and try to find another way to serve our Village and lord. Here we are getting stuck in quick sand." Dolfer takes a pause and looks like he is thinking. " I though Saxony was bad but this thing is Way worse."
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: Norþworþig, 67-868AD [IC]

Post Number:#139  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:58 pm

Utterly defeated, Erafar keeps to himself. This is not what was spoken of in the halls durin jul, no heroic deeds, no brave men who preservere and win glory and honor. After hearing Gunnar starting a conversation, he cannot hold it in anymore: With a sulking and defeated voice, Erafar mumbles his oppinion, hoping someone will agree with him: "I say we return to our boat. With the boat, we can return home and face misery and music. The odds were against us from the start on this trek, and personally I don't see why drifting around on the whims of the fate on this cursed land should help our village in any way. We could try and move along the coast, and earn som money for trading goods for people until we hava a cargo worth bringing back, then return and tell the tale of mistrusting, backstabbing kings, earls and whatnots. Personally, I'm ready for getting back home, perhaps the curse have been lifted by someone else? Perhaps the whole curse-thing was just a hoax? Perhaps everything has turned for the better? We are mistrusted by everyone, and seemingly rightly so, as we are too incompetent to achieve anything, we cannot even manage to get us food without asking for alms from the backstabbing bastards that inhabit this cursed place."
User avatar
Bjorn Are Stolen

Member
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:45 pm
Location: Mandal, Agder, Norway
Vikingr: Tryggr

Re: Norþworþig, 67-868AD [IC]

Post Number:#140  Postby NMorgan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:22 pm

Sulki frowns a bit at the defeat in Erafar's tone before responding to Gunnar.

”The Englar’s offer was for us to spin a tale of their choosing to Ubbi and his brothers, with the aim being to get them to leave Snotingham and send their army into a trap. The Christians are convinced that their victory is foretold by one of their seers and is, presumably, their god’s will. In exchange for our switching sides and successfully convincing Ubbi to march, he promises us a snekkja warship, land and the hamlet Donnecaster, and the safe return of Lofi and Hrollf. And, he gave us these medals which he said will give us safe passage through Christian’s lands. Also, the medals appear very similar to the one Disa gave me. They may be connected in some manner. This Mæġester Wulf also promised that we might seek an audience with their seer, though whether to meet or not is in her hands not his.”

“He spoke and carried himself with authority, but whether that authority actually extends to handing over all he promises, who can say?”
“The story he wants us to sell is that the Mercians want to attack Snotingaham now, but the West Saxons would rather go home to sow their fields. They promised two weeks service, and have already fulfilled that bargain. The commanders argue back and forth, and there are desertions daily. A Danish attack on them now would catch them in disarray, but delaying a strike will allow the West Saxons time to plant their crops and return in greater numbers.”

“To help sell the story and lend evidence of the partial success of our raid, they will make the scout camp look weakened with horses run off, men killed, and burnt homes.”
“However……”

“Doing this means turning sides. Now personally, I wouldn’t give a second thought for Ubbi or his brothers after all this, but turning on them also means either sending Jarl Haraldson along with them into the trap, or else coming clean to him either before or after we tell the Ragnarrson’s tale. I am against staying silent with him. The Jarl spoke up for us, perhaps even stuck his neck out for us, so the thought of deceiving him and possibly sending him and his men blindly into a Mercian trap does not sit right with me at all.”

“So, there is the question as to whether to try to tell him before speaking with Ragnarrsons and perhaps getting his advice, or speaking to him after it is done so he can do what he thinks best. The danger there is that if we wait to speak to him, there is the possibility that he may decide that he is better off with the Danish army intact and so tell Ubbi – and that can only be bad for us. However, if we tell him beforehand, we may lose any say in what is done. He may decide for us.”

“Something else you should know. The Mercian leader knew a lot about us. And I mean a lot. More, I hope, than either Lofi or Hrollf would be inclined to divulge in so short a time as they could have been under his ‘care.’ They knew we were coming, that is why our companions were captured so easily. Why this “wolf” was out and about during a storm. The Mercians have a spy in Snotingaham, and whoever it is, he or she knows who we are, likely watches us, and has some means of communication with the scout camp.”

“So, our options as I currently see them are:
“One: Try to convince Ubbi and his ilk that victory is in their grasp if they march on the English now. If we go this route, I do not wish to lie to our Jarl about what we are doing.”

“This option has several dangers: If we tell the Jarl, we don’t know how he will react or what he will do. We are also throwing all our hopes into an English victory. Without one, we have no chance of reward, and possibly little hope of seeing our two comrades again. Further, we must somehow convince Ubbi and Storri that we tell the truth – and I don’t think any of us are particularly good story tellers, while Storri is said to be able to sniff out a lie from miles away. If they think we are betraying them, I think our tale ends there. That, or we find ourselves in ever worse situations while they continue to try to rid themselves of us without being obvious about it.”

“The rewards are the lives of our companions, plus the treasures offered. Though receiving them may be doubtful. It is far easier to promise than to deliver. If we give the Mercians their victory, there is no further need for us. They will have many of their own to reward for service. I doubt we will be very high on the priority list. I see no reason why they would want a tiny crew of Danes tilling fields that were once theirs. Even if Master Wolf is honorable, that doesn’t mean that our potential new neighbors would be. Although, I would dearly like to get my hands on a proper snekkja, but there too we have to wonder where it came from or what kind of shape it is in, or if it even exists.”

“Option two:

“We are upfront with Ubbi from the start, telling him everything that was said to us. He can use this to form a trap of his own for the enemy, using their expectations against them.”

“This option is likely the safest for us, but potentially deadly for Lofi and Hrollf. We will have to try to rescue or perhaps ransom them. However, we obviously have nothing to ransom with, so that course would have to depend on the goodwill of others, which as we’ve all noted, is something in short supply. Perhaps the Jarl would help us again if it comes to it? Hrollf and Lofi are his men after all, if indirectly.”

“This option also might raise us in the estimation of the Ragnarrsons – if they can be turned that direction. However, it will likely lose us what may be the best – or any - lead we have on our true purpose here: the chance to speak with the Christian seeress.”

“The third option is to try and run off on our own, siding only with ourselves. We will be outlaws to both Danes and Englar, though maybe we can pretend among those that don’t know us. We will be on foot, moving through lands patrolled by horsemen. We are in a strange land, surrounded by hostiles. I don’t see much hope in that option. I don’t think going back through Danish lines all the way back to our ship is likely to go unchallenged. Nor will reclaiming our boat with no funds to supply her or us. Perhaps it can be done, but I don't think it is as easy or simple as it might sound."

"The land has been picked clean and we have no supplies for the trek back. Also, going this route is likely to be the same as sentencing our companions to death, unless perhaps we stake all our lives on returning to the scout camp and trying to rescue them now. The Englar will be half-expecting such an action now.”

“So, I’m sure there are things I’ve overlooked, so please, speak your thoughts. I am more than willing to consider any option we can come up with a viable plan for.”
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: Norþworþig, 67-868AD [IC]

Post Number:#141  Postby jezreel » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:44 pm

Gunnar listens attentively, frowns a couple of times, thinks, and looks as if he is about to speak....
Instead, he frowns again

Finally he looks like his thoughts have become clearer to him

"Thanks for the summary....and your analysis, Sulki...."

"I agree that trying to make our own way back to the ship is a non-starter - We will gain nothing and one or other of our enemies will have us, if hunger or disease doesn't get us first"
"I don't like the idea of letting our Jarl walk into a hazardous situation"
"But I feel a closer bond to our captured crewmates than anyone else- and their lives are hanging on this decision"


Gunnar shifts uncomfortably

" How can we talk openly to Ubbi or our Jarl of any 'deal' we have come to with the Englar -even if the Jarl doesn't tell Ubbi, word will get across to him- there are spies everwhere - and if Ubbi and his psycho-cronies even think we are thinking for ourselves and not just obeying orders in rote-style, we will lose our heads in an instant, and our captured friends will be spit-roast "
" I don't like our situation one bit, but that's nothing new"

GUnnar strokes his beard, looking for inspiration . His eyes close, and he appears deep in thought
- suddenly his eyes open and light up - he is gripped by intent and clarity of thought - he speaks urgently

"We should trust the fates with this decision ! - they have led us into this crazy situation for a purpose"
"I trust their leading- "

Gunnar scowls
"certainly more than I trust any of the men I have met on this Island "
"- only a fool could have predicted what has befallen us, but I sense that the fates are leading us- "


" We came to lift a curse, and we can' let our loyalties deflect us from this purpose"
" The way to this seeress lies through the Englar - we stand the best chance of freeing our crewmates the very same way"

"Ubbi and his cronies are nutcases,- let them find the Halls of Valhalla that they seek"
" We should tell them as instructed, believing it to be true"


THen pensively,
"And we should offer a sacrifice of worth to the Gods, asking them to protect our Jarl from harm somehow, so we might discharge our duty to him also"



Gunnar rolls Oratory (50)
jezreel rolled 1d100 and got a total of 54:
54
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: Norþworþig, 67-868AD [IC]

Post Number:#142  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:24 pm

Looking though full to Gunnars Arguments Dolfer replay "As far as i see it the only blood family i have left is the people at Vargevik and my uncle. And bout are bound to the Jarl. So i dont care to much for Ubba at the moment but betraying my Jarl is not something that should be done whit a light hard. I can also mean that we will never be able to go back to Denmark. And some of the point of saving the Village is then gone."
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: Norþworþig, 67-868AD [IC]

Post Number:#143  Postby Scipio » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:39 pm

"I think I agree with everyone so far. That does not mean we have an easy choice, however. Of all the loyalties I have on the line here, I rank Lofi and Hrolleifr the highest. It's hard to know how best to help them, though.

We all agree that returning home in defeat, tempting as it might be right now, is not as easy as it seems.

I have no love for the Ragnarssons, and we might well have more luck with the Englar. However, telling the Jarl that we intend to betray them is not an option. He has loyalties as well, and will be forced to tell them. Even if he wanted it otherwise, both Storri and the Wolf would likely learn of it -and of our involvement. That will end badly for all of us.

If we won't betray the Jarl, we have no choice but to tell the Ragnarssons everything. We have something to tell them, after all. The Englar spies are well-informed and well-placed. The Englar wish for a battle, and are planning a trap. These are things they can use, and knowledge they will want to keep secret. Maybe secret enough that the Englar won't learn of our betrayal, and Lofi and Hrolleifr will be safe for a while at least.

There are no good choices, but I think this is the only one.

And I agree that we need to make a proper blót before reporting to the Ragnarssons. Maybe the Fates will show us how they weave."
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: Norþworþig, 67-868AD [IC]

Post Number:#144  Postby Scipio » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:11 pm

"One more thing. We should make it look as if we've been in a fight, even if an easy and victorious one. That deceit would make the story we are supposed to tell the Ragnarssons ring far more true... and even if we don't intend to deceive them, we have to make the spies we know are there believe we are. Our usefulness to Ubbi and the lives of our friends depend on it. A few new scratches to us and to shields and helmets at least."
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: Norþworþig, 67-868AD [IC]

Post Number:#145  Postby NMorgan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:02 pm

"That is probably wise. We'll do it."
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 67-868, Norþworþig [IC]

Post Number:#146  Postby mark » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:24 pm

TOTAL NON COMBAT POSTS
Sat Jun 09, 2018 to Wed Aug 15, 2018

(9weeks & 4days @ 4 posts per week = 38 posts expected)

Biarni 15 (39%)
Dolfr 22 (57%)
Erafar 20 (52%)
Gunnar 19 (50%)
Sulki 29 (76%)
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Previous

Return to Sǫgur

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron