245-867 Snotingaham [IC]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

245-867 Snotingaham [IC]

Post Number:#1  Postby mark » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:13 pm

Time: Around Midnight, 245-867 [ ~10hrs of darkness]
Weather: Chill, Overcast & Raining
Wind: Fresh breeze from the northwest

The Menn af Vágrvík ask for tents from the Gestir so they may stay out of the rain, but they are only given three two-men tents as only five of them are actually members of the Gestir. For the others, they must convince men to rent them their tent space for the rest of the day, which considering the poor weather they are quite reluctant to do, however, silfr always changes men’s minds. After parting with half an ounce of silfr, there is enough tent’s and rented space to keep everybody dry for now.

There was nothing remaining to do except to sharpen weapons and rest for the rest of the day, they would each need their strength tonight if they were to scale the cliffs the protected Snotingaham’s southern flank. With luck there wouldn’t be any serious defences at the top and only a handful of guards. Although it seemed inevitable there would be some guards keeping watch up there, but tonight Máni would be sleeping, and that just might give them an edge…

Eymundr was told of Sulki’s decision to leave him behind to guard Ēadgȳð and the group’s purse with the help of Skuggi, and it was plain to see from his reddening cheeks that he felt humiliated. He said nothing, but he flashed a glance at Hrolleifr who shrugged cluelessly at him. Perhaps both men thought it odd that the bowman would go with them this night, despite the considerable wind which made archery all but impossible. Eymundr had as many kills under his belt as any man on the crew, so his reduction in status to being the guard for the ambátt was probably going to be insufferable when there were as yet unproven men stealing his glory.

Cliffs.png
In preparation for their mission, the men tied all their spjót, gaflak and langøx together into a bundle and Gunnar bought a sack from the Gestir for one penningr to put his brynja into for the ascent. And finally, at about an hour before midnight, Hrolleifr and Bjorn led the group south out of the camp, and then west around the dry side of Snotingaham. Hrolleifr walked slightly ahead of the others to make sure of his path which he had marked the night before. The sky was overcast and it was a new moon, so visibility was only about 80-85 feet [25m], and so no arrows disturbed the men as they walked past the towers on the palisade they knew to be about 100 feet to their left.

When they arrived at the myrr, just north of the river they had to walk through the path east picked the night before by Hrolleifr and Bjorn, it wasn’t great, much of the time they were knee deep in stinky mud, but at least nobody went under the surface! The going was very slow, the exact path was hard to find again in such low light, but after nearly an hour had passed since they broke camp, they were finally able to make out the silhouette of the top of cliffs to their north.

The bjargarnir were huge, towering above them. It appeared they were about 50 feet from the bottom of the cliffs, so they would have to be especially stealthy and quiet now, even whispers might tip off any unseen guards patrolling the top of the cliff. Whoever is going up first will not have the benefit of any rope, and the darkness and rain will make the task more difficult. Climbing more slowly should make the climb less difficult, but it would mean spending more time on the exposed cliff.

bjargarnir = cliffs

Snotingham Map
Location of the Menn af Vágrvík marked by "X"
Snotingaham X.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 245-867 Snotingaham [IC]

Post Number:#2  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:35 am

Erafar takes the rope handed to him,ties it to the thinner cord (i hope we have), and goes over it one more time, ensuring it's not having any knots or bundles. Then, with a nod over to Gunnar, to check that he's ready too, he starts ascending the cliff.

Erafar decides to go slow. He is eager to prove himself, but he does not want the humiliation of sliding down the cliff, warning the guards, and making a fuss of the entire operation. He can live with the gloating of Gunnar if he wins, **He would need a win now anyway, after having lost the argument over the slave** -besides, whoever were first up will probably be irrelevant in an hour or two anyway, Erafar reminds himself.....

When he is sure that Gunnar is ready, he starts going up, the thin line following him, as he has tied the line to his belt on the back. The others watches Erafar's arse disappearing into the murk, only the ascending line telling of his advance....

GM's EDIT: No thinner cord
User avatar
Bjorn Are Stolen

Member
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:45 pm
Location: Mandal, Agder, Norway
Vikingr: Tryggr

Re: 245-867 Snotingaham [IC]

Post Number:#3  Postby Scipio » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:54 am

Not wanting to make any sound wishing the two men luck, and fighting temptation to mutter curses over his wet and muddy feet, Biarni gives them a solemn nod and starts readying the bundles. The poles go up first, he reckons, as Gunnar might need his axe more than his armour.
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 245-867 Snotingaham [IC]

Post Number:#4  Postby jezreel » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:23 am

Gunnar stands at the bottom of the cliff,looking upwards at the looming crags - the rain, incessant, is getting in his eyes as he tries to pick a good climbing route and it seems to Gunnar to sum up the mood of this hazardous and fractious mission .His armour is wrapped up in some cloth, with his ave- he carries only his dagger, and the shield over his back - but he reflects that it actually feels good to be out of the mail - to be free to move without its weight .It reminds him of his time before he left home.....

As he waits for the signal to start, many thoughts collide in his his head, like the waves he used to watch as a boy ; he used to like to sit on the cliff after a gale and the breakers would catch the reef off shore and throw spume angrily one way and then another as if engaged in some furious argument .Gunnar would imagine that it was the fallout from some spat of the Gods- nature expressing the Gods' emotions and actions for mortals to observe and learn from - except that people didn't seem to learn from the Gods, as his mother often pointed out- they just seemed to make the same mistakes and do the same stupid things- driven by jealousy and anger and greed...his mother....Gunnar brings his mother's face to his mind, and wonders what she is doing right now? Is she thinking of him ? He likes to think so - somehow he knows that she is , and this brings him a sense of calm that he hasn't felt really since he watched his home town slowly disappear as the boat set out to sea.

Gunnar felt close to his crewmates on the ship- they were all pulling in the same direction- literally when they were rowing - a common purpose brought them closer and was uniting - but since they made shore, Gunnar has felt
things have not been right at all - the mood of this country in conflict is anarchic- and this has been mirrored in the group - here has been no clear strategy- the group seems to be following random and unlinked paths, finding obstacles at every turn . What have they achieved so far? Nothing. Gunnar has been getting increasingly frustrated with the situation - Sulki seemed so assured on the boat, his leadership was clear and focused, but on land, he seems weak , unfocused, and this brings danger and breeds conflict within the group.

Nevertheless, Dolfer seems focused on the town attack and Gunnar feels a little better to have someone competent organizing and directing the sortie. He gains some confidence from Erafar's enthusiasm also. He wants to look out for him, and decides he will stay close if needs be. He doesn't understand Biarni - the ways of merchants , of buying and selling and deal making are tedious to him, although he sees the power of money when it comes to motivating people.He also likes to give Skuggi a cuddle from time to time which the dog appears to enjoy- GUnnar realises that he misses touching and being touched,not that he is going to let his warrior mates know it.

All these thoughts racing and colliding in his head, and then suddenly he is back,at the base of a cliff , and suddenly his thoughts become clear, and suddenly it seems easier - it's a cliff face-there are raindrops on his face - it is the first finger grip,the first toe-hold- it is getting the sense of his own weight against the power of his muscles - he has done this as a teenager many times, climbing, and he knows this .....he smiles to himself, and then Dolfer gives him and Erafar a quiet nod that they are ready, and he starts to climb
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 245-867 Snotingaham [IC]

Post Number:#5  Postby jezreel » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:24 am

The sandstone offers many ledges but has weathered into many soft and crumbly patches - many obvious footholds are treacherous -there is plenty of loose earth and each handhold needs careful testing before he can trust his weight to it, and Gunnar doesn't want to send a pile of small rocks down the cliff onto his mates below- and the noise would alert anyone standing at the top of the cliff- it's slow and tedious progress, but Gunnar feels the climb is within his grasp- he glances over in Erafar's direction but it's dark and windy and it's hard to see him- but Gunnar guesses he is climbing OK because there is no sound of a fall.....can a boy fall in total silence?.. back to the next move.

Gunnar is happy for the wet and the wind and the moonless night - he would feel so much more exposed on a clear night - the rain keeps prying eyes away, the wind muffles any noise they are making, the moonlessness prevents any shadows and has allowed their approach to the cliff base to be , hopefully, unobserved.

Gunnar starts to enjoy himself - up here his troubles are only where next to put the next foot- test, test again, push up - feel for a handhold, test it , test it again, pull up
He is suddenly startled by a sudden movement a few feet along the cliff on a ledge -his adrenaline surges - but peering into the darkness, he senses a roosting bird, startled by his approach. He mutters under his breath
" Quiet, my little raven, keep your voice muted -I a'm only passing through"

Wiping his fingers against his wet clothes ,trying to dry wet on wet he curses under his breath a little and continues climbing, - now he's finding a good rhythm, a good focus and then suddenly his hand feels over an edge and ...nothing to press against- it's the top.

Carefully, Gunnar pulls himself up so that only his eyes project over the cliff edge- glancing sideways he see no sign of Erafar yet so he looks and listens intently ahead for any clues as to what lies ahead- ......
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 245-867 Snotingaham [IC]

Post Number:#6  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:52 pm

As the men is climbing Dolfer is eager to get everyone ready. The silence is nearly unbearable as the two men is scaling the cliff. In a low voice Dolfer says " Im next on on rope and then tie some gear to the other rope so that Gunnar can get his axe. Then get up there as fast as possible"
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 245-867 Snotingaham [IC]

Post Number:#7  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:52 pm

Getting up, Erafar notices that Gunnar was faster. He shakes his disapointment off, then wastes no time, but imediately starts searching for a safe place to anchor the thick rope, as he pulls it up, then gives the rope 3 pulls, to signal that the rope is ready to climb, all the while Gunnar is pulling up the bundle with weapons and armor with his rope.

He then turns around, and finds some place to hide, ready to ambush any guard that might stumble upon their intrusion. His main goal if any sentry stumbles upon their intrusion, is to wait until he has his back towards Erafar, then give 2-3 fast stabs towards the side of his neck, hoping to shred arteries and the air-pipe, then push him off the cliff, for him to drown in the mud below...

GM EDIT: Nowhere to secure the rope & nowhere to hide.
User avatar
Bjorn Are Stolen

Member
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:45 pm
Location: Mandal, Agder, Norway
Vikingr: Tryggr

Re: 245-867 Snotingaham [IC]

Post Number:#8  Postby NMorgan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:06 pm

Sulki silently nods at Dolfr then crouches down to help Biarni secure the weapons. He double and triple checks each knot before giving the rope a tug to let the men at the top know the bundles are ready. As Dolfr turns to climb, Sulki looks at Finni and holds up a finger to indicate he's next. Then two fingers for Biarni... Three for himself, Four Lofi, Five Bjorn, and Six Hrolleifr.
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 245-867 Snotingaham [IC]

Post Number:#9  Postby jezreel » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:21 pm

there appears to be nothing moving in the dark, and no noise, and Gunnar notices Erafar appearing at the cliff edge-
Thank the Gods he has made it safe he thinks

Levering himself onto the flat of the cliff top- GUnnar searches for a nearby tree-trunk or similar to anchor the rope to- but no joy- there is no obvious anchor- candidate and Gunnar does not feel like wandering too far from the cliff top on his own, without armour or any support in the dark

Oh well, brawn it is then , he thinks- he finds a boulder to wedge against, tugs the rope three times, then feels the weight of Dolfer on the rope - Gunnar is a strong man, but by the time Dolfer 's head appears at the cliff top, Gunnar's arms are on fire with the strain and he is vastly relieved to let the rope down.

" I need a rest", he whispers so quietly to Dolfer between deep breaths -" give me a few seconds and we can do the next one together....unless you are feeling strong and heroic"

GM's EDIT: No boulders
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 245-867 Snotingaham [IC]

Post Number:#10  Postby mark » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:11 pm

The top of the cliffs are quiet and featureless, there is nobody in sight, although it's hard to see very far in the dark of night. An enemy could be approaching and yet be invisible to Gunnar and Erafar. There was a bit of trail running along the cliff top, suggesting game or men walk here, but it was too dark to determine exactly what creatures had passed recently.

There are a scant few pine trees on the cliff top, but none close enough to the cliff edge by Erafar or Gunnar to be effective as an anchor point for a climbing rope. The only way to get men up is to take the strain, a task that could quickly fatigue even the fittest and strongest of men, but hopefully as more men reach the top of the cliff they will be able to share the strain.

About twenty or thirty feet to the north from the edge of the cliff, running parallel to it, was a woven fence. It was about three or four feet high, ideal for keeping livestock and small children from wandering over the cliff edge and perhaps as a second line of defence should an unlikely attack ever come from the cliffs. It presented little to no obstacle for grown men who could readily clamber over it if unopposed, but a man behind it with a shield would have plenty of cover while his comrades mustered in the city to counter-attack and push the attackers back over the cliff edge. Today though, the fence appeared to be unguarded.

What lay beyond the fence was something of a mystery, but judging by the silhouettes it seemed as if it must be the structures, huts, halls and hoff of the city of Snotingaham. Somewhere to the north of the city, no doubt past the homes of many restless Englar, lay the northern gate, their prize...
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 245-867 Snotingaham [IC]

Post Number:#11  Postby mark » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:20 pm

Gunnar being first man up is naturally the first man to lower a rope, wrapping it over his shoulder and bracing himself as best he can to provide a taught rope that Tjodolfr can use to help his climb. With the aid of the rope, Dolfr is up the cliff in less than a minute while Finni waits at the bottom steadying the rope from below.

It's strenuous work, and by the time Dolfr has reached him, Gunnar is nearly winded, but Gunnar is very healthy brushes off the exertion for now. Now the question is who will hold the rope for the next climber, perhaps Dolfr and Gunnar together? It would certainly be a lot less effort.

Meanwhile, Erafar has lowered his rope over the side of the cliff, and at the bottom Biarni is able to tie the bundled long weapons onto the hanging rope. As soon as he has done so he signals Erafar with a couple of little tugs and he starts to heave the rope back up the cliff. In just a few seconds they would hopefully have the tools to help control their next unfriendly engagement, should there be one soon...
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 245-867 Snotingaham [IC]

Post Number:#12  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:22 am

Tjodolf can feel how hos hearth is pounding as he climbs as fast he can to the top of the cliff. What if he falls? What if there is a point of a spear waiting for him as he reaches the top. In what have felt like half a day of nervous climbing get his to the top he luckily only sees Gunnars sweating face trying to heave him up as fast as possible. Over the edge Dolfer whisper to Gunnar as he makes sure that there is no enemy racing to tip them over the edge again " Congratulation, first man tot he top." Dolfer try to smile between the panting. "Ill give you a hand, and when Finni is up here you get dressed for battle and make sure to tell us if there are anyone coming from the town." . Then Dolfer take hold of the rope and start helping Gunnar heaving Finni up the cliff.
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 245-867 Snotingaham [IC]

Post Number:#13  Postby NMorgan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:47 pm

Sulki stares upwards from below with arms crossed. Though it had only been a handful of minutes since they began, it was difficult to just sit there; the wait absent anything to keep busy with begins to grate.
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 245-867 Snotingaham [IC]

Post Number:#14  Postby jezreel » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:29 pm

GUnnar notices that Dolfer is puffing quite hard as he reaches the top -
this is going to be hard night's work, one way and another, he muses
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 245-867 Snotingaham [IC]

Post Number:#15  Postby Scipio » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:49 am

Watching the bundle of weapons ascend in silence, Biarni listens intently -not so much for any sound from the city, but for any sound loud enough to give away the crew. He rubs his hands and flexes his fingers as he waits for the rope to return, quietly regretting not having left his heavy leathers behind.
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Next

Return to Sǫgur

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron