231-867 Jórvík [IC]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

Re: 231-867 Jórvík [IC]

Post Number:#106  Postby jezreel » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:37 am

Gunnar is getting restless. He tramps along with the others, kicking a stone along the street as he goes.
There seem to be a lot of dead-ends in this new land- he prefers to make a plan for a day and then see it through - in this town, nothing seems clear to him.
He likes straight talk, and here everything seems guarded, tense.

" I think we should seek out the Sons of Ragnar - I expect that they will have a clear view of what would be a good course of action"
"
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 231-867 Jórvík [IC]

Post Number:#107  Postby mark » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:31 pm

Finni nods in agreement with Gunnar and adds his own voice, "I'm with Gunnar, we've done all we can here. Seems like we'll need the support of the Ragnarssons to get access to the Konungr and the Kristr Seiðmaðr. We may as well find them and see if they'll speak to us, if not we can consider going raiding for Hross to speed things up."


"Anyway, at least we have a pretty good idea of where to start looking now. Perhaps we can rent some land to pull the ship out of the water onto for the winter, we'll also need to rent some sleeping accommodation and buy provisions before they're all bought up."


"The only tough decision is if we should bring the boy Bjǫrn with us, I'd say we should, next year or so he'll be a man and we need more spears in our shield wall. Also, do we want to buy horses for our own transport if we can find any? Without them we'll easily fall pray to Mercian scouts or angry farmers who've had their lands pillaged by Ívarr. Maybe we could barter the brynja that fits nobody with Hross for a few cheap riding animals just to get us started."

MAP
Borderlands.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 231-867 Jórvík [IC]

Post Number:#108  Postby NMorgan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:13 pm

After thanking the Danish patrol for the information and heading off, Sulki grunts softly as a feeling of dissatisfaction rises within. He is silent for a while, listening to the others voice their opinions. He has a sinking feeling that unless he could find some other source of income, surviving the winter here would likely leave them penniless yet again. Yet, returning home with tasks only partially done isn’t an option.

”Yes, I think that finding one of the Ragnarssons is our only choice right now, so let us hope they will actually speak with us. But even this leaves us with several problems.

First, what to do with the ship. I do not know that we should take it with us Biarni, though I would much prefer it if we could. From those men's directions it did not sound as if that there were major waterways to where the Ragnarssons were going, though I suppose we might still ask around the town. I am loathe to take it half way only to discover we must leave it behind in a river deep in what is likely enemy territory. Then we’d have to split our crew and leave both the ship crew and those going on foot at half strength and easier to pick off.

That said, leaving it here might not be much better. That Frisian knows we’re here now and I do not doubt that he will have us watched. We tried to take his ship once, I imagine he would love the opportunity to return the gesture. Hopefully the harbormaster and the Danish patrols will be honest and powerful enough to thwart any design to that end?

You are all right – if we stay we will need to find a sheltered spot to beach the Sea-Horse for the season. We’ll of course need to find some sort of shelter and food as well, and all that will take coin. Biarni, we may need to see about all that before long.

Bjorn is welcome to stay for as long as he desires. He has pulled his weight thus far. If he decides to stay on, perhaps you and I can work with him and the spear, Finni.

I had also had thoughts about getting horses if we had to go by land. Going on foot in such a small group is likely to lead to trouble as you say. We can ask Hross if he has any nags for sale. Since he is himself looking to acquire more, and since he seemed to want us working for him and not going directly to the brothers, he is likely to be rather expensive – but I don’t see as we have much choice. It will be a shame though, trading a fine piece of armor and a gift from a king for low quality animals – which we’ll also have to either feed through the winter or trade back, probably at a discount.

So it is decided. We go to find Ivar and Ubbi. The only question is whether on foot or by nag. Any other thoughts?”
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 231-867 Jórvík [IC]

Post Number:#109  Postby Scipio » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 pm

"We could start by raiding for horses. It would give us silver for wintering, or horses for the journey, or both. And it might ease our meeting with the Ragnarssons. It depends on how far we have to travel to find any, though, and I guess we would have to travel by ship to move fast enough. I have little experience wrangling the creatures, and I have my doubts they'll board the Sea-Horse willingly.

I guess the safer option is to go South at once, leaving the Sea-Horse here and travel by land. The mail should get us the horses we need, as Finni suggests."
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 231-867 Jórvík [IC]

Post Number:#110  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:40 pm

Listening to what the others has to say Dolfer replays " So overwinter here it is then. I think we should get the ship up on land to fix here up. And to make sure she dont get damaged from some winter storms. One option could be to live in here. If we get here tuned upside down and make some earth wall for walls. That would give us shelter if we dont fine another place. But we still need food and beer." Dolfer schratshes his beard and goes on " So we have to find the Sons of Ragnar then. I think that we should go raiding first. I dont think we should sell the mail. Better to modify it it will give one man the worth of two in a fight."
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 231-867 Jórvík [IC]

Post Number:#111  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:09 am

Having been silent for some time, Erafar speaks: "Two other options as I see: -simply sell the ship. That should give us some silver, and we don't have to worry about berthing-fees, then just take or buy another ship when we're done here, or enlist as crew on a boat going back. The other option is to live as local traiders along the coast, while we pursue our mission(s), that should make up for living-expenses. I don't care if we trade wheat, ferry thralls, or just work as a military transport for some local dude in need of a ship. The winters cannot be that bad over here, and I guess there is a need for local ferrying-activities through the winter, at least amongst the more important people in this strange country where the locals are frosty, and our own kind even worse..."
User avatar
Bjorn Are Stolen

Member
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:45 pm
Location: Mandal, Agder, Norway
Vikingr: Tryggr

Re: 231-867 Jórvík [IC]

Post Number:#112  Postby NMorgan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:29 am

"Hmm.... our going raiding first would potentially eat up a lot of our time, but might save us a lot of coin too if we can find enough horses. Where would you go to raid Dolfr? That is the main problem I see, we don't know what's around us, and I imagine Hross' men will have gobbled up everything within a week or two's journey. If we head South, we'll have to be careful of the already riled up Mercians, but there might be a chance we might find a waterway or something to take us inland."

"That is good thinking Erafar with the trading. If there are goods people need to have moved then we might help with that if the pay is good. Or if not, we should at the very least plan to work at our trades to help earn and save coin over the winter. Finni and I can do some shipwright work, Biarni can become an expert hatter. That sort of thing. However, I'm not so sure we want to sell our ship except maybe as a very, very last resort. There is no guarantee of another of her quality coming up for sale, or of us being able to afford it when one does. I see it as too vital to our plans, and quite literally the biggest thing that will allow us to keep operating semi-independently here.... or get us out should things turn sour. Besides, we've only just got her. She's barely broken in yet!"
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 231-867 Jórvík [IC]

Post Number:#113  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:25 pm

" No we are not selling the ship, that is our way home. I dont know the land. So we would have to get some help if we want to go raiding. I think it would be easyer raiding from the ship"
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 231-867 Jórvík [IC]

Post Number:#114  Postby Scipio » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:39 pm

"I agree with Tjodolfr. With a ship we can leave this place, go where we wish and return home when we please. We can trade or raid. Without, we are nothing but another band looking for a master. And we can not easily complete our tasks.

It seems we're staying here for the winter, then. Perhaps we could just as well beach the ship before travelling South. I would prefer to leave the Sea-Horse here, and not in enemy lands."
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 231-867 Jórvík [IC]

Post Number:#115  Postby mark » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:34 pm

Sulki is trying to finalise his plans, but first he wants to speak to Hross again. The Menn af Vágrvík make their way out of the administrative district of the stone-walled part of the city on the north-eastern bank of the river, crossing over the bridge into the merchant district where they were drinking the night before. Hross gave them directions to his stables, and they prove to be accurate.

Hross' stables are large but fairly quiet on arrival, just a handful of men working, tending animals and so on, they appear to be only lightly armed although there are some weapons and shields fairly close by. Hross is here and he seems less cocky than he was the night before, perhaps last night he was a little intoxicated and showing off in front of his men. He greets Sulki and Gunnar politely, but he says nothing to the other Menn af Vágrvík to whom he has not been introduced.

After the greetings are over, Sulki asks when Hross plans to travel south towards the Mikill Herr again and if they might accompany his men as guards. Hross replies that he expects he will next go sometime shortly after Haustblót, unless he receives a lot of horses before then, and while he would like to have more Danir guards for his caravan he explains that his men will all be mounted and will move quite fast unless they are droving other beasts as well.

Hross says, "You can come back in a week and I may know more about how fast the next caravan will travel. Of course, if you get some mounts yourselves then it'll be no problem to keep up whatever the pace."
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 231-867 Jórvík [IC]

Post Number:#116  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:39 pm

When we are done talking to the man Dolfe says " So it either trying to sail down or walk by our self if we dont want to wait, so what do you say friends. Maybe we could get the ship up on land in that time"
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 231-867 Jórvík [IC]

Post Number:#117  Postby NMorgan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:04 am

"Hmm... A week. Waiting a week should not be a problem. That might be just enough time to do some repairs and beach our boat. Unless a knorr would see enough transporting business in the months ahead to make paying the higher docking fee worthwhile, I was planning to get her ready for winter anyway."

Obtaining Horses might be trickier though. I expect most of the horses to the south will be long taken by now, but far north have your men been scrounging would you say? If we were to spend the week looking for horses, where do you think we're likely to have the best luck find them?"
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 231-867 Jórvík [IC]

Post Number:#118  Postby mark » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:26 pm

Hross wipes something from his hands as he listens to Sulki. He clarifies, "A week until I may have more information, no guarantees. I doubt I'll actually be leaving for a few weeks."

He goes on to say, "I don't know where you'd be trading along the coast in the winter, surely not with the Scots or the Mercians, East Anglia or Wessex maybe? I don't suppose either of those kingdoms is too friendly with Danes right now, but if you're lucky and very diplomatic they might trade with you."

Hross adds, "My men haven't been north as far as I know since last year. Now we're at peace with the Northumbrians, so to speak, Ívarr doesn't want us raiding his own new lands, and that land goes on for a great many miles to the north. Eventually, if you keep going north you'll be in the land of the Scots. Scotland is a cold, hard land, like Norðvegr. The people are dangerous, not especially rich, and very used to near constant border squabbles, does that sound like the sort of place you'd want to go raiding?"

He continues, "Northwest takes you to Cumbraland, a place much like Scotland, full of mountains and lakes. The people are hardy and poor too. Raiding there is a way of life, but the pickings are probably even slimmer. No, Cumbraland and Pettaland are both poor choices for raiding unless you're desperate."

Hross looks over Sulki's companions and says, "The best pickings are to the south, ahead of the army, but not on foot. Not unless you are eager to feast in the halls of Valhǫll. Most of my men ride that way, but there is enough to go around, the Mercians are quite wealthy and Wessex is the richest of them all."

Hross makes a casual offer, "If you have no money for horses and don't know what to do with your ship then I might consider a loan of a few cheap nags secured against your ship, but it might not be enough horses for you all because horses are in much greater demand than ships at the moment. Of course, I'd have to have appraise your ship before I could make you a firm offer. It would mean I'd look after your ship, keep it safe, just as you look after my horses until you returned them to me. Anyway, it's a possibility, maybe...."
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 231-867 Jórvík [IC]

Post Number:#119  Postby Scipio » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:36 pm

Not intending for Hross to overhear him, Biarni mutters to the men nearby. "It's a risk, but one it may be well worth taking. A situation where we might lose our horses is one where we might as well lose our lives. But do any of us know how to care for the animals?"
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 231-867 Jórvík [IC]

Post Number:#120  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:29 pm

" Aye, riding horses is not something that most people do in the north. We normaly travel by sea, foot or on skis. But we will do what we have to. Im sure we can be tied to a horse. Just not sure how much faster it is. But are we going to take the boat up on land before we travel? For sure we cant stay here for doing nothing"
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

PreviousNext

Return to Sǫgur

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron