193-867 Vestr [IC]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#61  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:41 am

"I think it is most appropriate that you do the negotiations with him"
User avatar
Bjorn Are Stolen

Member
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:45 pm
Location: Mandal, Agder, Norway
Vikingr: Tryggr

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#62  Postby mark » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:34 pm

Bjǫrn catches the rope and starts to tie a few basic knots without too much difficultly, he struggles a bit with the more complex knots although he seems to have the right idea and might just be out of practice. He replies to Sulki's question, "Two summers, and I've never been out in a storm, no. Are you planning to sail into a storm?"

He seems to grasp the very basics about seamanship, but a little more about coastal & river boating. He certainly seems slightly more competent a sailor than Tjodolfr, but then he knows almost nothing about true seamanship other than what he knows from its similarities to boating. The boy is only slightly younger than Hrolleifr and Erafar, but he should be able to pull an oar, especially if he is fed well...and he looks like he could eat a lot.
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#63  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:52 pm

Dolfer frowns at the boy " We dont plan to sail in to a storm. But you never know that fate the gods sets for us. As for you." Dolfer points at the boy and wait a few seconds. " You can join the crew now, we will train and feed you. And if you live up to our expectations you will be given a gift for the journey and after we reach Northumbria you are free to sail with us for half an ounce of silver per week and a share in plunder but not trade. If you are not happy you can find a new ship in Northumbria. For a young man like you this gives you the possibility to prove your self." Dolfer smiles to the boy and then looks towards the town. " And it does not look like you have any better opportunities here"
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#64  Postby mark » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:35 pm

The boy licks his upper lip as if thinking the offer over. Eventually he grins and asks, So what food do you have?"

It seems as if Tjodolfr has hired an intern.
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#65  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:58 pm

Dolfer gives the boy his hand to close the deal. " Bjarni is the man that buy food and goods, you should ask him. And before you get any you need to help load the cargo." Dolfer point towards Bjarni and says " Be will give you a task then you and eat"

Then Dolfer turns to Sulki " So the sea the Coast? Open sea or sea kings? Its your decision "
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#66  Postby NMorgan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:14 am

Sulki smiles and nods at the boy. "Welcome to the crew." He seemed to know about as much as could be expected for someone so young, and probably a deal more than some of their crew and passengers, but that largely remained to be seen. Sulki turns to the others and calls, "Hey you lot, this is Bjǫrn and he'll be joining us on the crossing. Make him welcome!"

Sulki grins and then turns to Dolfr, indicating the two of them should walk down the quay. When the others are out of earshot, he shrugs. "That's a decision I've been putting off. We don't exactly have a crew tested and ready for open sea, but the coastal route is longer, and probably more fraught with danger from raiders. I am inclined to head straight to sea, though I also feel it may be wiser to sail down along the coast for a day or two, see how the ship and crew handle, then head to open sea when the weather is favorable - assuming we seem ready and not completely out of sorts. At any rate, I'd like to consult with some of the other ships regarding the expected weather, as that has not been a skill I've been particularly good at. I'd like to leave tomorrow at the latest, and so our initial direction may well be determined by the wind. One thing we must not forget to do is first offer a sacrifice for the journey. What are your thoughts?"
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#67  Postby jezreel » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:25 am

Sitting in the boat with his eyes shut, Gunnar listens to the crew discussing the various merits of open sea or coastal voyaging,
At length, when there is silence, without opening his eyes, he offers the following pithy observation ;

" Following the coast means more chance of encountering pirates of some description - that would give me a chance to try out my new axe"
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#68  Postby mark » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:10 pm

Finni regards Gunnar stoically for a moment and then says, "With so few crew and a slow ship, engaging vikingar who likely have a warship with at least two and a half or three times our number will certainly see many of us join the einherjar and the rest ending their days chained to an oar. I'm ready to go to Valhǫll with you Gunnar, but perhaps it is unfair of us to expect some of these younger men to accompany us just yet?"

Finni turns to Sulki, "I'm all for a fight, but for the sake of the boys I'd prefer the odds to be more even. Our last 'even fight' was a very close run thing and nobody escaped without injury. Even if we don't meet any vikingar, any warships we encounter along the coast will likely be full of Saxons or Frisians, all followers of the Nailed God. If we were really, really lucky, they might just tax us all our cargo, silver and weapons."

"It is late in the year already, I say we take the shortest route and hope for the best. Starvation on the open sea is unlikely as there is usually some wind, but even if we have to row and tack all the way to Norþhymbraland I doubt it will take us more than two weeks. It's going to take twice as long if we follow the coast."

"Hunting vikingar is not our business, we're traders and ...diplomats, I suppose. And on top of that we can't gamble with the lives of our families and the other people of Vágrvik who are all counting on us. Kolskegg has asked us to help them, and I think we should avoid any distractions. So my vote is we make a blót to Rán and then sail directly for Norþhymbraland on the first good easterly wind."




Valhǫll = Vahalla
einherjar = those who have died in battle
vikingar = vikings/pirates/adventurers
Norþhymbraland = Land of Northumbria
Nailed God = God of the Christians
Rán = Goddess of the Sea
blót = sacrifice
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#69  Postby mark » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:14 pm

Eymundr meets Sulki's eyes and nods his approval of Finni's words. Hrolleifr says nothing, perhaps annoyed that he was referred to as a 'boy' and no doubt still aching from the last fight where an arrow impaled itself deep into his arm.
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#70  Postby NMorgan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:22 pm

Sulki nods at Finni and Eymundr. "Aye. Hunting and looking for fights is not our purpose, at least not just yet. If we were to follow the coast, it would not be in hopes of plunder or combat, but rather to not try Rán's good will upon open sea. But I think Finni makes good points. Biarni, have we funds left for a suitable sacrifice? I have some silver yet if it is needed."
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#71  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:55 pm

" So the sea and rans real it is then. We should sacrifice to Tor for Wind"
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#72  Postby jezreel » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:00 pm

Gunnar encourages everyone to contribute to the sacrifice

"It is the Gods that sustain us and it is the Gods that accept our gifts as worthy and just.
Let's give back to them who have given to us our very lives and existence - "
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#73  Postby NMorgan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:22 pm

"Any man who wishes to contribute to the sacrifice may of course do so. However, I know some here have gone a long time without recompense for their efforts. That is something I hope to start to rectify in Northumbria with the sale of our cargo. So, if you are unable to contribute, no man here will think ill of it, I am certain. The gods, if they are watching, know the sacrifices you've made, as do I."
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#74  Postby Scipio » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:42 pm

Biarni has spent a long time sitting by himself, making notches in pieces of wood and muttering about numbers. Finally, he gets to his feet.

"I've gone through our silver, and what cargo we have. We can easily carry enough food and water for the journey, sell some of it at a profit and still have enough for the return. It won't make us rich, but it's a start. And with the silver we've been promised on our return to Jevers, we'll do better next time. A lot of silver will be spent on barrels and kegs for water and cargo. With any luck we won't need to buy those again."

He produces a pouch and weighs it in his hand.

"We've discussed what kind of blót we'll need to make. This is the silver for it, 75d. If any man wishes to put more silver in, I'm sure the gods will appreciate it."

Biarni grins, puts 10d of his own silver in the pouch and hands it to Sulki.

"You and another should go and find the animals we need. I'll go buy cargo. I'll need two or three men with me, I'll be carrying a lot of silver and there'll be plenty of barrels to carry."
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#75  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:04 pm

"Ill take Finni and go with Bjarni. To guard all that silver" Dolfer says with a sly smile. " And we will take Bjørn to see if he is any good at carrying stuff. He has to deserve his food to day"

Tjodolfer is eager to get the rest of the preparations for the journey done so it can be started. " I never been at the deep sea before it will be an interesting experiences."

As they start to carry the silver in to the town to do the trading Dolfer spaeks out " Bjarni i hope we are going to buy some mead or ale for the journey as well. You know in case Finni start to get ready to see the all father again. Yes and it seems as Gunnar might be of the same mind as Finni. So it can be good for the Moral." Dolfer says smiling at Finni.
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

PreviousNext

Return to Sǫgur

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron