193-867 Vestr [IC]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#46  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:01 pm

Before Bjarni leaves Dolfer turns towards him. " Hei Bjarni as you are the one in charge of the silver. I do think that you should collect some funds from the newest crew members they eat, drink and sleep from our small hoard. And i guess they expect to get paid just as the rest of us when there is plunder or a big success in trade. So then it only fair that they put some in to the pot as well." Dolfer tries to sound friendly about it as he yells for the new crew members to come over. " Gunnar and Erafar get over here." When they are there with the rest of the crew Dolfer says "In this ship we share our spoils and costs. But the rest of us but inn a bit of silver as we started. And even that Sulki is leading this new expedition im the one that made the deals in with the saxons so we would get the ship. And if you want to be a part of this not only as paid crew but owners of this expedition i suggest you but in a sum of silver like the rest of us. Now would be a good time, as we are going to buy new cargo to sell in Northumbria. If not now as soon as possible would be good." Dolfer tries not to presents and including. Not towering over them as he normaly does
Jon Reinhardt

Topic Posts: 16
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Post Number:#47  Postby Scipio » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:12 pm

Biarni stops, and looks to Tjodolfr.

"True. We have bought into this for different amounts, but those who live on our silver should add what they can. Especially since, as you say, we all expect a share of the profits."

He sits, wanting to talk this over properly now that someone else has brought it up, and drags Skuggi to him by the neck as the mutt tries to continue on to the pier.

"We should consider doing this right, and give shares to each man according to their stake. I'm surprised this was not done at once, but now we have a ship and are looking to profit from it. There's more at stake than before."

Biarni scratches first his scrawny beard and then the dog's ears.

"I'd suggest we give everyone a chance to buy in now, before we leave Ribe. And every man has a stake in the profits and plunder, after how much he paid. But this is not my call, if it's anyone's it's yours."

He indicates the original crew -Sulki, Tjodolfr, Eymundr and Finni.
Scipio

Topic Posts: 13
Vikingr: Biarni

Post Number:#48  Postby NMorgan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:41 am

"That sounds reasonable. Profits on our journeys can be paid out as percentages based on what each crew member has put into the venture, with the opportunity to buy in now, particularly for the newer members. One question is, at what point do we all expect payment? Upon return to Vagrvik? Or upon every sale of cargo? I would prefer the former for the obvious reason that the journey and related expenses ultimately is not completed until we return home. Yet I know not everyone will want to, or can wait that long. What do you men want?"
NMorgan

Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Sulki

Post Number:#49  Postby Scipio » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:01 am

"I'd suggest some payment when we turn a decent profit, the rest when a man decides to leave. We need silver in our coffers, so paying everything out makes little sense.

One question we should consider is the ship itself. It's most of our wealth, but we can't sell it, divide it or afford to pay shares of it's value. For now, at least."
Scipio

Topic Posts: 13
Vikingr: Biarni

Post Number:#50  Postby NMorgan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:38 pm

"Good. When a substantial profit is made, then Biarni, Dolfr, and myself will discuss how much of that profit to distribute to the crew at that time, and how much to keep in the ship's funds. Then each man will get a percentage of the distribution in accordance to his percentage of his investment. If that sounds acceptable to all present, then we'll proceed that way. Biarni, if you could let those not present know, and of course give the newer crew members opportunity to invest more at this time."
NMorgan

Post Number:#51  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:29 pm

Tjodolfer nods to Bjarnis proposal " We can divide the profits in shares, that is a good idea. I think we should try to divide some of it then we after selling the cargo i have been out of silver for weeks now. My earlier plan was to dive everything when we got back from Saxony to Vargervik." Dolfer Frown spits and look towards the ship. " But the ship should not be part of the deal. The deal is about the cargo. Hopefully we will get a bigger ship later. If it was not for those bastard Saxons we would have have a proper war ship." Dolfer listen to what the others has to say. Thinks a bit and goes on " In one way the ship is not our. It a gift with obligations, its our real treasure"
" So we use as much as we can and fill up the ship and sails to Northumbria. I hoped that er could take the sea not risking the vikings of the whale road. But if we have to take the long road we should probably try to trade in more different town and get different trade goods". Tjodolfer loks at the rest of the crew trying to figure out what they are thinking. " We should not visit Jevers before we have to. That means after being in Northumria. Nothing good will come out of going back there before we have to."

After the talk about money and where to go Dolfer find a place big stone at the edge at the water to sit on. And sits there for a long while throwing rock at the sea thinking.

*** I wounder what would have happened if we had joined the crew of Captain Averil. Members of a proper war ship, raiding and pillaging across the whaling road.*** Dolfer sits there complicating this inntil its time to sleep
Jon Reinhardt

Post Number:#52  Postby NMorgan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:21 pm

Sulki glances at Dolfr and shrugs. "We have nothing to report to the ship's..... benefactor? So there is not much point in going to Jevers for anything but supplies, and those we should hopefully not need, or can get most anywhere. But yes, I am with Dolfr on this regarding the ship. It cannot be split in shares, and we all still need it anyway, so what to do with it is a moot point for a long while at least. Profits will be based upon sold or captured cargo only."
NMorgan

Post Number:#53  Postby mark » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:58 pm

Time: Early Morning, 205-867 [ ~16hrs of daylight]
Weather: Warm, partly cloudy, showers
Wind: Calm

Biarni had been scratching his head all day over the number of food and water they would need for the journey to Northumbria. The matter was complicated by the fact that the passengers were not around and he wasn’t sure how much cargo space he’d have left. Biarni kept asking questions of the more experienced sailors about how long they thought the journey may take, they firmly indicated that a bigger crew would be desirable in case of the unlikely the event that they were becalmed for a many days.

Reaching a sound conclusion was surprisingly difficult; there were so many variables to consider on such a journey. Still, if they didn’t take the risk of navigating at night and assumed they would have random low winds, much as they had experienced a lot recently, then the journey will take a little over three weeks, perhaps less if they rowed as well. If they travelled during darkness and daylight, and their navigation was accurate, then they might arrive in a little over two weeks. Of course, if they get a strong breeze from the east and travel all day and night the journey will take a matter of a few days. Biarni felt he needed to sleep on the problem and keep his eyes out for the passengers, after all nobody literally sleeps on the piers all day waiting for a ship to arrive. If the passengers were around, then the chances are they'd make an appearance in the morning to see what ships had come in the day before. Biarni would just have to wait and see if he was correct.

That afternoon, Dolfr had been to speak again with the few Gestir that had remained in Ribe. So many had already sailed with the Jarl after Eostre and although those that remained were not oath-sworn to remain they had were committed to watch over their families and friends from Ribe’s ramparts until the other men returned. It came as no surprise that none of them were prepared to abandon their posts to sail on a merchant vessel this late in the summer. Perhaps the word would get around that the Menn af Vágrvik were looking for crew would spread, and there might be other men interested who seek them out at the docks.

Gunnar went to the Hvítr Hjǫrtr in the afternoon, ostensibly to drink and gamble, but he actually wanted to gather rumours about the Óðinnflokkr and his father who went missing so many years ago. He bought himself an afternoon’s ale and won several rounds of dice and other games, and walked away with a net total of an extra 27d, but despite effort to be courteous he learned nothing new.

In the evening, while slightly intoxicated from the afternoon, he wandered into the poorer part of the port and found a cheap beer hall. This time he decided not to gamble and not to bother being courteous to the clientèle. He drank beer all evening again, paying for it out of a large purse filled with hundreds of penningar. Gunnar even bought some other men ale and in total spent 3d on drinks. Several men suggested that the Sons of Ragnar in Northumbria are supposedly Óðinnflokkr , this was the same rumour he’d heard before, at least it seemed consistent. Only one man claimed to have heard of his father and he wanted 60d to tell him what he knew.

Gunnar knows there is no way he could be sure if the man would be telling the truth and so considers saving his money and leaving the beer hall as it is already dark out. He goes to grab his langøx only to find it is missing, he can’t find it anywhere and quickly suspects that it has been stolen while he was drinking, despite the keeping a keen eye on it or so he thought.

As Gunnar looks around he notices several of the locals are watching him, but without any backup, in his intoxicated state and missing his primary weapon, he would be almost defenceless against a close quarter surprise attack by multiple opponents. He was up 24d that day and lost his langøx, but Gunnar’s instincts tell him it is time to leave as quickly as possible and without making a scene, before he losses everything, perhaps including his life...

Gunnar winds his way along a few dark alleys back to the pier where the Sævar-Hestr is moored as cautiously as an angry and intoxicated man can do in the dark. The lesson had been a good one for the country boy, don't go drinking in the poor part of the city alone. Still, it could have ended far worse. Had he caught whoever had stolen his axe, he might have killed them and been killed in turn by his friends, or if not he'd might have been arrested and obliged to pay the weregeld for the man he slaughtered while he recovered his axe...and that would cost far more than the axe itself. He could afford another, and his winnings softened the blow a little.

In the morning, the crew shared a breakfast of dried meats and fish from the barrels of trail rations on the ship. Gunnar still felt a little rough from drinking all afternoon and evening, but if the crew were to sail today he'd have to hurry if he wanted to find another axe before he departed. But first, several of the crew were eager to sought out the group's finances, making sure everybody had paid in fairly. That seemed reasonable, after all everybody was eating the food and somebody had to pay for it. As the conversation started, Biarni was chewing a piece of cured beef when he spots a familiar face walking along the pier and staring at the ships, looks like his passengers were here after all! That would mean some much needed coin, a new beast head prow and two extra rowing hands in slack wind would be very useful on a long sea voyage.

About this time a boy, perhaps around fifteen or sixteen years old, approaches the Sævar-Hestr and addresses the crew, "I heard you were hiring rowers. How much do you pay?"
mark

Site Admin

Topic Posts: 11
Vikingr: Game Master

Post Number:#54  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:02 am

Erafar adresses the experienced heroes of Vagrvik: "I don't have that much to invest, but seeing how dangerous the towns can be, It's probably better to invest the little I have in the ship, than to carry it around on my person... Here is 100 PenningR, roughly 3/4 of my savings. As for shares in any spoils, I'll be content with wathever you decide. I'm not into this for the money, but for the oppertunity to learn from the best!"
Bjorn Are Stolen

Vikingr: Tryggr

Post Number:#55  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:20 pm

" Depends on what you can do." Dolfer relay to the boy. " Tell about your self, ho are you and that can you do? Hav you been inn a ship before?" Dolfer smils at the boy. Wating for him to replay.
Jon Reinhardt

Post Number:#56  Postby mark » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:02 am

The skinny boy has few positions, just some poor clothes and a bedroll. He has a knífr hanging on his belt, but no other visible weapons.

The proud but grubby young man holds his head high and replies, "I'm Bjǫrn fra Ribe. My father fought for silver in Norðvegr, he died fighting for some little king more than two years ago, and The Bloody Flux took my mother last year. So now I am alone and in need of a few penningar before I get thrown out of the city for being a stafkarl. I have worked on fishing boats before, I can rig a sail and work an oar, but I've never crossed the sea."
mark

Site Admin

Vikingr: Game Master

Post Number:#57  Postby NMorgan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:26 am

Sulki comes up and stands beside Dolfr. "How long did you work on these fishing boats?" He asks, as he glances down at the youth's hands to see if they appeared calloused like a seaman's should be. "Ever been out in a storm?" Sulki tosses a length of rope to the boy and has him tie several knots while he quizzes him on basic things any sailor should know...
NMorgan

Post Number:#58  Postby jezreel » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:17 am

Gunnar returns to his crewmates. He appears to have a new axe.
" how did you get on?" one of them asks.

Gunnar's face is tight, but there is a determined look in his eye

"Well not so good actually, but I learned a little about some people"

He turns, and spits quite deliberately and noisily onto the floor of the quay
Then he adds
"The sooner we leave this shithole, the better"

He walks over to the end of the quay and stares out to sea for a while

Later,he rejoins his crewmates and appears more at ease- he listens to the conversations amongst the crew about money , and trade - commerce and economics

"I don't understand your interest in buying and selling, and but I can see that we may as well use the space in the boat to make ourselves some money."
"I can make a contribution of 100 d to the ship's funds, if you think that's about right"
"Just don't ask me for any advice about how to invest it"
" And don't run off with it, or I will hunt you down"

he adds with an obvious wink and a rueful grin
jezreel

Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Post Number:#59  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:52 am

Erafar takes the heroes to the side, and talks in a low voice: "If he is as desperate as he sounds, we do a good deed by offering him a seat. Let him have this as a "svenneprøve", and if he makes a good impression, you pay him a salary from then on." We offer him food, water and I can train him for free. If I was on the verge of beeing thrown out of society because of poverty, I'd grab that chanse."
Bjorn Are Stolen

Vikingr: Tryggr

Post Number:#60  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:32 am

Nodding in approval to Erafars suggestion. "That is a very good idea. We will feed and train him inntil we get to Northumbria. And i f we are happy with him we give him a payed jobb and a weapon as a gift." Tjodolfer looks at Sulki " What do you think, it should be you how give him the offer"

When Gunnar says he want to leave as fast as possible Dolfer nods in agreement. " Yes we should. A new axe it is. Hard luck in gambling it is then. Hopefully your luck will change in Northumbria."
Jon Reinhardt

PreviousNext

Return to Sǫgur