193-867 Vestr [IC]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#31  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:55 pm

Walking down to the water to clean Dolfer turns toward the rest of the men going for a bathing saying. " Have laid their eyes on any girls? Inn til now women have mostly caused problems for this crew. But you know it always goes well the third time. " Dolfer grinns and looks toward Finni and Sulky. Then he says " Last man in the water buys the first round." Then he start getting his cloths and stuff off as fast as he can while running towards the water.
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Topic Posts: 16
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#32  Postby NMorgan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:05 pm

Sulki, who had already turned away to walk off, stops and shakes his head. "Go without me. I must go and speak with Elswyth, since she will not be going with us."

He walks home and finds his sister sewing. Sitting next to her, he is silent for a while and then makes small talk until she sets her needle aside and looks at him directly.

"I'm sorry Elswyth. I can't take you with us, much as I might wish to. While some of the crew I was able to persuade, I could not persuade everyone.... and with the crew as small as it is and with there being so few other men available, I cannot afford to lose him from the rowing benches or the shield wall. The shame is his and mine to bear, sister - not yours, though I know you will feel it otherwise. Forget the name Finni Hamallson. He is a good man, but in this, he is stubborn and a fool, and you deserve and will have better."
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1256
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#33  Postby Scipio » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:00 pm

"Let's see who is third then, and find out if you're right!" Not intending to lose the impromptu contest, Biarni too strips as fast as he can and runs into the water.
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Topic Posts: 13
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#34  Postby mark » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:35 pm

Time: Late morning, 204-867 [ ~16hrs of daylight]
Weather: Warm, partly cloudy, showers
Wind: Strong breeze from the north east at sea, moderate breeze in port, light breeze inland.

Elswyth nods reluctantly at Sulki, she seems very disappointed to not be travelling to Norþhymbraland this summer. She manages a weak smile for Sulki, knowing he will leave to travel to her old homeland without her when the sun next rises. The poor girl had suffered some bad luck in her time; to Sulki it seemed doubly harsh that Finni would not only deny her marriage, but also a place on the Sævar-Hestr. Yet there was little or nothing Sulki could do, Finni was his blood brother and Elswyth was his adopted sister…

The day was otherwise uneventful; most people were still in the fields scything the last of the hay and they would work right up until the full moon blót that evening. Hrolleifer and Eymundr had returned from a week of hunting with a live boar and a dead deer. Hrolleifr had managed to capture a large tusked boar in a pit trap that he and Eymundr had dug along a game trail, and they were contributing the animal to the people of Vágrvik to sacrifice as part of their Lithasblót. Several families were keen to demonstrate their wealth and generosity by contributing an animal for the occasion and Kolskegg had a bull which was going to be among the sacrificial animals. Hrolleifr, a stafkarl, was on this occasion granted permitted to join the blot due to his considerable contribution.

When the time came, all the people of Vágrvik made their way on the short walk outside of the palisade along a pathway to the mound which was known simply as Gamall Staðr. This was the place where the people gathered whenever there was a blót or a þing. Kolskegg, as goði, had got dressed in his womanly-looking robe just as the ancient tradition demanded when he presided over these affairs, and when everybody was there, with peace-knots on their weapons and spears left away from the mound, Kolskegg addressed his people.

He spoke for some time about the bounty of the goddess Jorð who is the daughter of Nott and Annar. He said that it is only through the benevolence of Jorð, goddess of the earth and the mother of Thor, that the people can live on this land. Vágrvik had harvested the hay Jorð had given them, and with the hay they could feed their animals through the winter. So it was only fitting that the blood of some of their animals be given back to the earth.

Kolskegg went on to talk about their blighted grain which had the evil fire and how it was slowly strangling their prosperity and in some cases threatening their very lives. The grain harvest would be in just a few weeks’ time, which was why it was more important than ever to thank Jorð with the blood of their beats for the hay bounty they had received and to plead with her that she might do something to remove this curse on their grain. The gods rarely helped mortals, but it couldn’t hurt to ask.

Kolskegg took the opportunity to move his speech on to the importance of raising the next generation in Vágrvik, and how that was the duty of the young men and women of the village. He explained how this was the natural order of things, how it was essential for their continued survival and how the vættir expected it, and that offending them might be a cause of the evil fire. There were murmurs of agreement from many of the people at this suggestion.

Kolskegg went on to comment on how there had been less marriages than usual this year. Looking away from the crew of the Sævar-Hestr as he spoke, he casually and very informally chastised the unmarried young women for not being respectable enough to attract a husband from among their drengir young men. At this there were some soft sniggers from among the gathered crowd.

Kolskegg concludes his speech and moves onto the next part of the ceremony, the slaughter of the beasts. Nine decent, large animals were slaughtered by Kolskegg with a great axe when he had finished speaking. He invoked all the gods, especially Jorð, thanking her for the hay bounty and beseeching her to give them all a good grain harvest, despite the blight from the evil fire. After all the proper words had been spoken and the blood rituals performed, the animals were butchered and roasted on a spit over a large fire while everybody drank cider or mead and danced.

The single, young girls of the village behaved properly and very respectably with the unmarried crew of the Sævar-Hestr. Gunnar who is the oldest of the group, not very charismatic and as yet unproven was the least popular of his crewmates that night. Finni had previously been somewhat popular with the girls after his reputation was boosted from his winning an einvigi in Ribe, but since he had talked alone on the beach with Elswyth the other girls had started to ignore him, and so he had no attention that night. Biarni and Tjodolfr were both proven warriors now with good reputation and a share of a ship, but neither of them are very charismatic and they struggled to compete with Lofi and silk-tongued Eymundr for the attention and dances with the young girls of Vágrvik. Of course, none of the girls spare a second glance at Hrolleifer, the beggar boy who lived outside of Vágrvik's walls, and although Erafar got a couple of dances, he was still young and unproven and so the girls simply smiled at him. Sulki wasn't as distracted by the young girls as much as the other men, but then perhaps he had the beautiful and mysterious half-Saxon seeress Dísa to keep his thoughts warm.

Both Lofi and Eymundr ended up walking alone with a pretty girl that night, and it seemed to be everybody’s opinion that they would consequently be getting betrothed very soon; of course that was subject to the formalities of parental permission and the negotiation of a proper bride price. Kolskegg seemed delighted that his earlier words hadn’t fallen on deaf ears, but any formal engagement would have to wait until the men returned from Norþhymbra Rīce.

The men were on orders to stay fairly sober that night as they planned an early start. In the morning they loaded the Sævar-Hestr with the last of their personal belongings and cast off for Ribe. Most of the village came to give them a farewell send-off, especially Kolskegg, the Gestir, friends and above all family. With the wind from the south east the below-average sized crew had no choice but to row, Styrimaðr Sulki called for a sustainable ‘slow’ pace which pushed the knórr along at only about two thirds of a knot. This allowed the men to row southwards along the coast towards Ribe for around ten hours without suffering too greatly from fatigue.

After beaching the ship for the night, the Menn af Vágrvik continued rowing the next day as the wind had not changed. On the third day, the wind changed, and there was a strong breeze from the north east. Putting up all her sail, the Sævar-Hestr ran with the wind making around four and a half knots and giving all the crew a welcome break from rowing. By midmorning Ribe was in sight and just a short while later Sulki guided the ship to an empty spot at one of the port’s great piers. The harbour master came to the ship, flanked by a few Gestir and hailed the men, he wanted to know who the crew were and what they were carrying. When he was satisfied, he agreed to allow them harbour for 1/4 oz. of silver per day, in advance of course…


Gamall Staðr = Old Place
stafkarl = beggar/outsider
vættir = spirits
einvigi = duel
knórr = merchant ship
Þing = Assembly/meeting
goði = chief (& priest)
styrimaðr = steersman (captain)
Drengir = courageous/badass (plural)
Norþhymbra Rīce = Kingdom of Northumbria
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4889
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Topic Posts: 11
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#35  Postby Scipio » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:57 am

After a quick exchange with the customary complaints of all merchants against fees, Biarni pays the man from the ship's silver -unless Sulki says otherwise, of course.
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Topic Posts: 13
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#36  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:14 pm

As the men are about to leave the ship Dolfer asks " Are we planing to do anything other than picking up the passengers? Do we have enough space and money to boy some cargo?" Dolfer does not look to eager to do any thing at the moment.
" If there is nothing we need to do ill go to the hall of the gestir and then the inn to see if there are any news and rumors. If there is some of you that need something to do you are free to come." Dolfer says nodding towards the guild hall.
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Topic Posts: 16
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#37  Postby NMorgan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:09 pm

Since leaving Vagrvik, Sulki has seemed in a rather contemplative mood, and somewhat distant towards Finni in particular. As much as was possible aboard ship anyway. It wouldn't take any great insight to those who know him to realize that he is not at all happy with the way things were left with his sister. Sulki doesn't say much on the journey, other than to give orders as needed to keep the ship in line and traveling steadily southward. His mood seems to pick up with the wind however

As the ship is moored at the docks in Ribe, Sulki makes all the near-obligatory mumblings and grumblings about exorbitant harbor fees. In the end though, he shrugs, grins, and gives Biarni the go ahead to pay the man. He waves and greets the gestir accompanying the harbor-master and asks after any news in the region.

To Dolf, Sulki replies "We will want to pick up some cargo, extra rations if nothing else, as it would be good to have surplus, and Biarni has learned that they are in demand in Northumbria, so we should be able to sell what we don't consume easily enough. Other than that, I think our main task here is to pick up our passengers, discuss our route, refill our water - I'd like enough for two weeks journey at least - and then make ready to leave. Why don't you take the men down to the inn to gather news like you suggested while Biarni and I discuss cargo and finances. We'll join you in a bit. Oh, and keep an eye and ear out for our passengers. Hopefully they will arrive soon."


"Biarni, what are your thoughts on cargo to haul? The rations are a good start, but should we try to vary our cargo, not put all our eggs in the ration basket?' I'd like to keep some of our silver in reserve also."
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1256
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#38  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:13 pm

Erafar voulenteers for the water-resupply-thingie. Afterwards, he follows the crew to the other water-hole, to hear the latest news.
User avatar
Bjorn Are Stolen

Member
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:45 pm
Location: Mandal, Agder, Norway
Topic Posts: 11
Vikingr: Tryggr

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#39  Postby jezreel » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:44 pm

Gunnar is glad to be leaving Vagrvik at last.He has felt restless these last few days, and uncomfortable around the villagers he knew well enough. He leans into his rowing, using his body - it distracts his mind from all the wondering, all the anxiety that has been building.
He was relieved also that the blot passed well -leaving him with a sense of peacefulness, as these rituals usually did.
He notices Erafar trying hard to be busy, to be useful, and smiles. He decides to keep an eye out for the young beanpole. He notices that Sulki seems a little off with Fiini, and thinks that maybe he will ask about why, when an opportunity presents itself - it's not great to have anything between crewmates, but there is always something, some little problem - as long as it doesn't grow, isn't allowed to fester.

Arriving in Ribe, Gunnar helps the rest of the crew with the hauling, lifting, carrying.

He asks Sulki
"how long are we here? Do I have enough time to explore the port a little? Shall a few of us wander and keep our ears to the ground and see what information we may glean from buying a few drinks for the locals?"
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#40  Postby Scipio » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:57 pm

"Trail rations are in demand, so whatever we don't need we can sell at a profit. Furs, too, should be profitable. I suggest we spend what silver we can on this. No point in travelling with an empty ship, when the journey alone will cost us a fair amount in fees and rations. But I agree, we should have some silver left for emergencies."

He turns to Gunnar.

"We spent some time here only days ago, but there is no reason for everyone to stay with the ship. I'm thinking we'll leave tomorrow or the day after...?"

Biarni looks to Sulki, adding:

"The passengers will pay us some. How much do silver you think we'll need left?"
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Topic Posts: 13
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#41  Postby jezreel » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:15 pm

After speaking to Sulki, Gunnar took advantage of a lull in activity in the early afternoon to explore a little- passing the Hvítr Hjǫrtr, he went indoors where he he buys a drink or two and starts to join in with the talk and then with a game
Gunnar rolls for courtesy
jezreel rolled 1d100 and got a total of 64:
64


Gunnar rolls for gambling
jezreel rolled 1d100 and got a total of 20:
20
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#42  Postby jezreel » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:01 pm

Gunnar learns nothing new, but spends some pleasant time mixing with other men who are "between work and home" and some travelling folk. He shows interest in a game of dice, is asked to join and plays well enough to come out a little ahead - Gunnar knows when to push his luck and when its time to walk away without offending. He takes his winnings and wanders down to the rougher end of the dockyards, stopping at an unmarked tavern, which seems to attract a few older sailors and dock-workers. He buys a few drinks for folk - not so many as to arouse suspicion, but enough to loosen tongues a little, if they are willing to be loosened ; he talks about the crops issue in Vagrvik -the evil fire ; he jokes a little but then become a little more serious ;

"Does anyone here remember a man, Gunnar, from Vagrvik? He "would have been coming through here a good time ago- maybe even 20 winters? He was a warrior, and was sailing to Northumbria, raiding maybe? I am his son, and I'm trying to find out more about him - anyone remember such a man, or anyone knows who may remember him? " I have a few drinks or coin for anyone who helps me put together some of the pieces in order to find out what happened to him, and they would have my gratitude, even if they didn't want my coin"
" It's hard for me, a son, to know so little about my father - we Norsemen know about travel and the sea, but we also love our kin, and I wish to find out what I can"
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#43  Postby NMorgan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:18 am

Scipio wrote:"Trail rations are in demand, so whatever we don't need we can sell at a profit. Furs, too, should be profitable. I suggest we spend what silver we can on this. No point in travelling with an empty ship, when the journey alone will cost us a fair amount in fees and rations. But I agree, we should have some silver left for emergencies."

He turns to Gunnar.

"We spent some time here only days ago, but there is no reason for everyone to stay with the ship. I'm thinking we'll leave tomorrow or the day after...?"

Biarni looks to Sulki, adding:

"The passengers will pay us some. How much do silver you think we'll need left?"


Sulki thinks for a moment then shrugs. "You've a much better head for numbers than I. I should think we'd want two or three hundred penny's worth at least for emergencies. What do you think?

And yes, tomorrow we leave I hope. As soon as the passengers are aboard we should be ready to depart."
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1256
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#44  Postby jezreel » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:53 pm

Gunnar is navigating the social niceties of the rougher end of town
rolls perception
jezreel rolled 1d100 and got a total of 33:
33
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#45  Postby Scipio » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:12 pm

"We have silver worth about 1105d all together. I'll leave about 160d here, and we'll get another 120d or so from the passengers. That should be enough. That leaves just about 800d after I've left what silver we owe Thorvaldr with his father. I'll add some of my own silver too, now that I can -my investment in our venture is shamefully low."

Biarni leaves with a pouch of 138d for Thorvaldr, and intends to spend about 800d of the crew's silver and 70d of his own on empty barrells, cheap trail rations and the best furs he can find. Always careful, he leaves this silver -except a few pennies of his own- on the ship rather than carry it about town.
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Topic Posts: 13
Vikingr: Biarni

PreviousNext

Return to Sǫgur

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest