193-867 Vestr [IC]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#16  Postby jezreel » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:52 pm

Gunnar grins, flexes his arm muscles under Dolfer's hand, and then takes the man's other forearm in his own hand as he replies;
" Well met. Tjodolfer Gyrdison. It would please me greatly to spar with you all this evening and flex our weapon-skills. I also enjoy testing my strength in the wrestle - and afterwards, drinking! THere is much to learn of you and the rest of the crew and drink will loosen our tongues and bind us closer . "
Then, more thoughtfully ;
"I can see how your shield brings you safety from missiles but for me a man must close with his enemy and resolve the issue as directly as possible"
Gunnar adds, with a knowing look
"I would be pleased to run behind you as we close with our opponents - you can absorb their arrows and I can then split their skulls!
Maybe I could hold a shield in line with you if you can find one for me, but once we are in range, you will hear how my axe sings"


Gunnar holds the man's gaze steadily

"I exchanged a vow with Sulki Bardisson, and I would do the same with you - let us vow to be as brothers ; and never abandon the other until we have completed our quest, or died in the attempt and reached the Halls of Valhalla as men of whom songs are sung "

"I have sacrificed to Odin , and I felt his approval - our journey may be hard, but we are Viking men, and our valour will never falter!"
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#17  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:15 am

After the poor performance in the sparring and wrestling, Erafar drinks too much and too fast, and leave early to recover. **Typical of me to ruin others impression by fighting like a fleeing thrall, then drinking like a girl** , he scolds himself while attending a puking bucket lent him by his frowning and lecturing father...

After that embarassing afternoon, Erafar is again found on the ship, helping in running it up for the voyage ahead **they probably see me as a noob in combat, I hope they still value me as a sailor**
User avatar
Bjorn Are Stolen

Member
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:45 pm
Location: Mandal, Agder, Norway
Topic Posts: 11
Vikingr: Tryggr

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#18  Postby jezreel » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:14 pm

Gunnar enjoys his evening with the lads - he's happy to contribute to the practice of martial prowess on display, laughs long when he falls on his arse in the wrestling, and shares some good drinking songs later -and more than a few laughs at his expense over his display in the said wrestling - he feels more included, and feels more confident .
He seeks out Dolfer later in the evening
" I'm glad to be out-sparred and out-wrestled by a worthy opponent - although that was my worst wrestling performance since I was only 11 winters old!"
" I'm grateful to you for introducing me into the group so effectively - it felt good and I'm proud to be a part of the company that Odin has ordained for me"
"Perhaps you are not so dim-witted as the others think? "
Gunnar teases.
" I've thought about what you said about shields- I intend to take one from the first opponent I fell who uses one, and I can then stand in a shield wall with you - but I will drop it as soon as we close with the enemy!"
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#19  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:31 pm

Dolfer smiles at Gunnars comments " Good you feel at home here in the crew. For the shield you should have one for moving towards the enemy. You can probably drop it or leave it hanging from a strap as fighting starts. Your axe is deadly enough but that helps little when spears and arrows are flying."
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Topic Posts: 16
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#20  Postby mark » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Time: Early morning, 201-867 [ ~16hrs of daylight]
Weather: Hot (cool night), clear sky
Wind: Moderate breeze from the south east at sea, light breeze inside Vágrvik, calm inland.

It is decided that the crew of the Sævar-Hestr would have three contests that evening, one of sparring with arms, one of wrestling and one of drinking, and Kolskegg agrees to referee the contests and to provide the beer. After a little preparation, an area was marked off for the fighting on the beach. The contestants drew straws to see who would fight each other.

The matched pairs fought until one or the other was eliminated by first to three ‘touches’ or first blood. Dolfr is the winner of the sparring, Sulki, Gunnar and Finni take second third and fourth place respectively. There is nothing between the others, who all failed to conclusively win a single bout, but luckily this time nobody was injured beyond a few cuts and bruises.

Finni excels as champion of the wrestling, not losing a single bout and in most cases winning quickly with submission holds. Sulki takes second place and Eymundr takes third. Nobody else conclusively won a bout, some because both competitors repeatedly fell out of the marked wrestling area at the same time as they grappled together. Gunnar not only lost all his bouts, but is choked to sleep on one occasion, much to the ghoulish amusement of the spectators.

After the fighting came the final contest, the drinking. Kolskegg had a barrel of ale brought from his hall for the purpose. Somehow, to everybody’s surprise, Finni not only drank everybody else under the table but he downed every drink the fastest. Dolfr came second, Biarni third and young Hrolleifr came fourth. The others were too drunk to be able to continue and were removed from the contest, but fortunately nobody puked!

All in all the contests were a great success, although many of the excited young women of Vágrvik repeatedly called for the young men of the Sævar-Hestr to hold a dancing competition, but by the time they had concluded the drinking contest there was nobody left in a fit state to dance! Seemingly unimpressed, the single girls departed. Ironically, although the contests had initially appeared entertaining to the locals, the majority of the crowd of spectators went to their homes shortly after the young women left, leaving the drunk men of the Sævar-Hestr to wonder how this had made them unpopular enough that nobody was left at the beach to help them celebrate.

Arising very late the next morning, with quite the hangover, Sulki first finds the blacksmith and commissions him to alter the two helmets they had, one to fit himself and one to be sized to fit Finni. After that, Sulki announced that the cost of a week of training for every man on the crew would be paid for out of the ship’s funds, this news caused a grumble to come from Finni about how not everybody had actually paid in…

Only about half the men planned to use their week working on their skills. With the help of one of the more senior Gestir, Dolfr and Gunnar trained Athletics together and Sulki trained his Endurance. Biarni spent his week learning about Commerce from Thorvaldr’s father, Vestarr Thoroddrsson. The total cost was just 51d.

Erafar, Lofi and Finni, take responsibility for the Sævar-Hestr being ready to sail, re-caulking and tarring her seams, checking and scrubbing her timbers, adjusting the stones in her ballast, testing her rigging and patching her sails. Finally, they empty and refill her barrels with clean, fresh water. They will need more water barrels for the sea crossing, but Biarni has agreed to buy those in Ribe as there is no cooper in Vágrvik.
red deer.jpg

Hrolleifr, who has no home inside Vágrvik, has chosen to spend much of the week hunting, and Eymundr who is a fair shot with his gaflak has decided to accompany him. They hope to find a red deer or two, and to avoid any bears…

After a week of hard training, hunting or work on the ship, the men were ready for something new. Sulki collected the helmets from the blacksmith and paid 150d for the work, which seemed very reasonable for the time and materials involved. Sulki wondered what they should do next as he tried on his new helm, it was a perfect fit now, as was Finni’s helm. He knew they were meant to be in Ribe very soon to pick up their paying passengers, but had anybody been counting the days? Whether they had or hadn’t, the wind was low this morning, just a moderate breeze from the south east, which was far from ideal if they were to sail southwards to Ribe, and rowing would be slow going without more men at the oars.

Anyway, this evening was Lithasblót, and it seemed like a bad idea to be away from Vágrvik at the time of such an important blót if one could help it. Perhaps Sulki could use the occasion to gauge what was going on with the town’s folk who seemed a bit bored with them at the contests last week.

Lithasblót = Hay Harvest Sacrifice/Festival (major sacrifice)
blót = sacrifice
gaflak = javelin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4889
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Topic Posts: 11
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#21  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:48 am

After learning that not only did he leave very early in the drinking-contest, but that he also missed an oppertunety to dance with the young women of Vagrvik, Erafar is in a dark mood. Non the less, he wants to attend the communal ritual "I agree not to sail under present conditions, we can wait for better. I also think we should attend the ritual this evening, there seems to be somthing between you and the village?"

Erafar tries to use his relatively low status in the community to "fish for" news amongst VagRvik's villagers regarding the band. His strategy is to somewhat naively hailing the deeds of his new fellows, and observe/listen carefully to how others reply. In addition, he will also ask his father if somthing is amiss, playing on his fathers love for schooling Erafar.
User avatar
Bjorn Are Stolen

Member
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:45 pm
Location: Mandal, Agder, Norway
Topic Posts: 11
Vikingr: Tryggr

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#22  Postby jezreel » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:28 am

Gunnar is also very keen to attend the ceremony, so much a part of the communal life of the village, especially in these diificult times - he wonders what sacrifice the elders of the village are going to offer to try and appease the Gods and break the curse on the region's agriculture?
He decides to try seeing if using his courtesy may tempt some information about the sacrifice from those in the know.

COurtesy 35
jezreel rolled 1d100 and got a total of 37:
37
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#23  Postby mark » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Erafar's 'fishing' doesn't turn up much, the people he speak to in Vágrvik all agree that his crew-mates have performed good deeds, at least outside of Vágrvik.

When Erafar later tries speaking to his father, Orm, laughs at the young man and replies with an anecdote about goats, "When the billy goat gets to a certain age then he usually looks to the nanny goats, and they look back at him. Sometimes he may need to find new pastures first, but if he comes back and is still not interested in the nanny goats then there will be no kids that summer, and the nanny goats are unhappy. When the nanny goats are unhappy there will be no milk and then all the people are unhappy, and so they sacrifice and eat the useless older billy goats." Orm says no more on the matter and returns to his work.




Gunnar tries being courteous to the locals of Vágrvik to find out more about the preparations for Lithasblót, but his honeyed words fall on deaf ears today, some people tell him to save his sweet talk for ears of his ship mates as they go about their daily business.
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4889
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Topic Posts: 11
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#24  Postby Scipio » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:27 pm

"I agree that we wait until the blót is done. It does not do to offend the Gods as we begin an important journey. But I think we should take care not to drink overmuch, and set sail early next day. We have business in Ribe, and agreements to uphold."

Biarni goes back to cursing himself for not holding a dancing competition the night of the contest, and trying to forget his display of incompetence at the spear-dance.
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Topic Posts: 13
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#25  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:49 pm

Somewhat read around the cheeks, Erafar approaches the merry band of many men...

"I believe my father perhaps told me a plausible explanation on the reserved attitude from certain Vagervikings, it has something to do with the old Norwegian song about the King Harald, whoose sword was the stiffest thing he owned...." Not wanting to elaborate to the older and experienced warriors, he hopes his reference hits home. **I'm only 17 my self, I do not dare approach those women until I have somthing to boast about, and have grown a beard** -he thinks to himself.
User avatar
Bjorn Are Stolen

Member
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:45 pm
Location: Mandal, Agder, Norway
Topic Posts: 11
Vikingr: Tryggr

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#26  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:02 pm

Tjodolfer intends to go to the bloot and the feast. As he himself is not a sailer taking it very easy is not that important im might even upset the gods. Hearing Erafar words and seeing his shyness Dolfer grins his big grin again and goes over to tower over the young man.
" So Erafar you want to find a girl to fill your dreams with before we sett out to the dangers of the great sea?" Grinning even more by the young mans red face Dolfer says in a laughing voice " It is a good idea, ill join you in this chaise. Should we make a wager? First of all we need to take a bath and comb our hair. So lets go swimming" Then Dolfer goes towards the sea to take a bath.
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Topic Posts: 16
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#27  Postby NMorgan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:57 am

"What?!? That is what has had everyone colder than winter?" Sulki growls with clear and obvious annoyance. ***"It was meant to be a welcome for Gunnar to the crew and to test his mettle and that of the newer members, not a general holiday for making matches!***" He sighs and runs one hand through his hair and over his scalp. Lithasblót is tonight. If there's 'dancing', I trust you will all dance. But don't any of you get drunk. We're sailing with the tide tomorrow, wind or no. It may be hard work rowing, but we need the practice, and we've appointments to keep, wind or no. So be sure to say your farewells and enjoy the day, for soon we'll be off to Northumbria!"

Sulki smiles at the men, but then gives Finni a slightly sour look as he says "It is still not too late to change your mind... brother." He waits for a response then (assuming it's the one he's expecting) grunts, shakes his head, and heads off towards home to make his own goodbyes.
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1256
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#28  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:00 am

Seeing that this conversation is not at all going in the direction he wanted, Erafar complies, and heads for the beach to wash, and prepare for a night that most certainly will become embarrasing..

"Yes, I will take that wager, but I will heed Sulki's advise and stay sober"
User avatar
Bjorn Are Stolen

Member
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:45 pm
Location: Mandal, Agder, Norway
Topic Posts: 11
Vikingr: Tryggr

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#29  Postby jezreel » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:29 am

Guunar is amused by the antics, but is not interested in chasing the girls today- he is feeling serious - serious as it is a feast day, and he feels that the Gods may look unkindly on any frivolity.
He himself takes some time to see the extended members of his family,and some friends , and bid them farewell.

He then spends time with his mother, preparing for the feast ; she busies herself but he detects an anxious, worried look in her eye when he catches her looking at him.
Gunnar wants to comfort her, and show her his love and gratitude; he feels a little guilty at leaving her , but he is also excited to be leaving, and excited at the prospect of adventure.
He has been ready to see more of the world for a few years now; to see beyond their little village, their little world . And yet he felt he should stay longer to help her, a widow.
Now he feels ready, and the opportunity has presented itself.

He tries to take her in his arms to hug her, but she protests about the work she has to do and tries to wriggle free , avoiding his gaze - but he holds on and he is too strong for her and suddenly she stops her protests, and allows him to hold her - he feels her sobbing, and her tears on his shoulder.
He holds her until she starts to relax in his arms
" Don't worry, mum. My brothers and sisters are old enough now to help you around the home, and to help take care of you. "
" I promise you that I will take care of myself and I promise to see you again after this journey - I will have many more stories for you and you will have a son to be proud of "
" I will bring you something precious back with me. and try to find out what happened to dad"
"I will think of you every day and I will sacrifice regularly so that the gods will take care of you all here at home"
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#30  Postby Scipio » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:02 am

Noting Gunnar's slight frown as they depart, Biarni nods at the newest member of the crew. "The gods themselves don't waste an opportunity for dance... or 'dance'" He grins, slightly ruefully, then heads off to wash and prepare for the night's blót.

***If only there was much chance of any kind of dance, with us leaving tomorrow and having to mind our drinking.***
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Topic Posts: 13
Vikingr: Biarni

PreviousNext

Return to Sǫgur

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest