193-867 Vestr [IC]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#1  Postby mark » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:21 pm

Time: Evening, 193-867 [ ~16hrs of daylight]
Weather: Warm (cool night), partly cloudy.
Wind: Strong breeze from the south at sea, moderate breeze inside Vágrvik, light breeze inland.


Sulki manages to track down the golden disc which was being handled by one of the Konungr’s courtiers, who reluctantly passed it back to him, much to the amusement of those gathered. Such an item is worth a lot of money and easy to conceal. The armour and silver is heavy, and it isn’t clear who it will fit, but that can be determined outside of the kings hall, so the men grab everything and make their farewells. Outside the hall, it is clear the armour isn’t quite the right size for anybody, although it is closest to fitting Erafar. Biarni wastes no time in finding a handcart for sale for 30d, which they can all take turns at hauling all their excess gear.
Gale.jpg

Before they depart Jelling, Sulki orders everybody to fill their waterskin and then looks for a street vendor to buy some reasonable trail rations for the journey back to Vágrvik, he buys three each and pays 31d for all of them.As soon as they are ready, the Menn af Vágrvik set off west, out through the gate along the road to Vorbasse. They camp along the roadside, which isn’t much fun as the next day brings an overcast sky and rain showers driven by a strong breeze north westerly breeze, by noon they reach Vorbasse where they refill their waterskins and continue west on the road to Ribe throughout the afternoon.

The next day brings a gale, slowing their movement considerably, but fortunately the day after the winds change again, blowing a strong breeze from the south west. By evening the men arrive at the familiar fork in the road, with Vágrvik being about another day’s march along the northern fork.

The men arrive in Vágrvik on the evening of next day, having had no food or water for a day as the journey took longer than expected due to the gale. They eagerly sate their thirst and find sustenance at their family homes and get a well-deserved, comfortable night’s rest after several day’s walking in poor weather.

In the morning after breakfast at home with family, Kolskegg finds Sulki to let him know that a young man has just come of age and has asked to join the Gestir, meaning he can now spare another older man for Sulki’s rowing benches. He names a man called Gunnar Gunnarsson, a keen but as yet unproven warrior who favours the long axe and with a yearning to travel to Norþhymbraland. Sulki is free to find and approach the man and ask him if the crew could count his axe along with their shield wall and sail westward with them to the conquered but not tamed lands of the Ango-Saxons far across the sea...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4889
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Topic Posts: 11
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#2  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:57 pm

Erafar has tried to make a good impression on the trip, by pulling the cart as much as possible, taking care to hide his blisters and not to complain too much. He also have started trying to grow a beard. **I hate beeing this young**, he thinks to himself, massaging sore muscles and acing feet discreetly under his bed-covers.
User avatar
Bjorn Are Stolen

Member
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:45 pm
Location: Mandal, Agder, Norway
Topic Posts: 11
Vikingr: Tryggr

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#3  Postby NMorgan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:23 am

Sulki thanks Kolskegg warmly and then sets off in search of Gunnar Gunnarson. Figuring it was early enough yet that he might still find the man at home, he sets off towards the hut where he remembers the young man living with his mother Aslaug.

When he manages to track Gunnar down, Sulki tries to make small talk for a bit as he sizes the other man up, but then quickly gets to the point. "I spoke with the Goði this morning. He seemed to think that you have a desire to sail west to Norþhymbraland. Is this so?"
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1256
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#4  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:06 pm

As Sulki is out looking for Gunnar Dolfer says " Make sure to say your godbyes, it will be a long time i til we are back again. And some of us might not get back at all. The waling road is a dangerous place. " After that Dolfer goes to see his uncle and the rest of his family.
Then checking that his tools and weapons are sharp and in good order.
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Topic Posts: 16
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#5  Postby jezreel » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:54 pm

Gunnar greets Sulki warmly, and cordially. He is a heavily built man; he looks a little intimidating, but when he speaks, he is as polite as a courtier
" I have been waiting to meet you since I heard about your boat heading West"
" I can offer my strength, my loyalty and the service of my axe"
" I travel to seek my destiny, to learn about my father's fate, and to use the skills I have learnt in the service of my King, my clansmen and in the service of Odin"
"I trust you will find me good company, and we shall share many glorious moments together"
"My mother is sad that I am leaving, but understands my calling "


GM's EDIT: Speech colour added
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#6  Postby Scipio » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:43 pm

After greeting his family, Biarni spends some time going through the Sea-horse's cargo and estimating what they'll need and how much cargo space they'll have with the crew and the passengers. His instincts are to buy furs in Ribe.

He then looks to sell the hand cart he left at his brother's house in Vágrvik, thinking that the new one can be brought on the ship and will suffice for the foreseeable future.
Biarni rolls Commerce (60):
Scipio rolled 1d100 and got a total of 27:
27
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Topic Posts: 13
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#7  Postby NMorgan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:20 am

jezreel wrote:Gunnar greets Sulki warmly, and cordially. He is a heavily built man; he looks a little intimidating, but when he speaks, he is as polite as a courtier
" I have been waiting to meet you since I heard about your boat heading West"
" I can offer my strength, my loyalty and the service of my axe"
" I travel to seek my destiny, to learn about my father's fate, and to use the skills I have learnt in the service of my King, my clansmen and in the service of Odin"
"I trust you will find me good company, and we shall share many glorious moments together"
"My mother is sad that I am leaving, but understands my calling "


GM's EDIT: Speech colour added


Sulki nods as he listens to Gunnar then grins. "It seems our 'fame' precedes us then. How is your mother these days? My new sister is not happy that we are to leave so soon. She will be even less happy when I have to tell her she probably will not be going with us. Speaking of, you should know that we will be joined by eight or so passengers, some of them women. That is not a problem I trust?

So what skills do you bring to our little crew? Have you yet swung that axe of yours in anger or stood in shield wall? Do you know your way around a boat? Trim the sails, manning oars? I'm sure you've heard some of our mission from the talk around town, but if not I or the crew can fill you in. You probably know most everyone, by sight at least. I can take you to meet them if you like, though I rather suspect they are scattered all over Vagrvik spending time with their families."
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1256
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#8  Postby jezreel » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:50 pm

Gunnar crosses the room and picks up his great axe - he handles it smoothly and skilfully, giving the the impression he has spent much time turning the axe over and over in his hands, whilst he thinks and makes plans
He turns to Sulki

"my mother is well, thank you - although she will find it harder to maintain our dwelling without my help"
"I am trained to fight, but have little experience of battle- however, I am keen to prove myself, and my axe is sharp and longing to avenge my father"
" I can handle myself well enough around a ship, and will prove fearless enough should you need courage and strength"
I know little of your task - please share some food here with us and tell me of your plans and hopes"
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#9  Postby NMorgan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:46 pm

Sulki grins, watching Gunnar handle the axe. "Well given how our last voyage went, I'm sure if you come with us you'll get battle experience soon enough.... And if you can find your way around a ship, even better! I can always use another experienced seaman, especially for the next leg of our journey. Thank you, a little food would be welcome." Sulki smiles and finds a place to sit as he considers how to begin.

"You are of course well familiar with the crop blight that plagues the lands here and the dangerous position it puts Vagrvik in. Some weeks and months ago, the Godi sent Dolfr, Finni, myself, and some of the other lads to seek out a seeress rumored to be somewhere in Saxony... Some have joined us since then, others have left on other missions, but our task is yet before us...

Sulki goes on, telling a shortened version of events, the meeting with the Bishop Lubbicko Hroðwardson, how the crew had found the seeress Dísa Eiríkrdottir set to burned by the Christians and had purchased her freedom at considerable cost, including wounds taken in battle with the Frisian raiders - wounds received while defending Christian wizards of all things. How Dísa had revealed that the crop failures were a curse set upon Vagrvik by a powerful Seiðr whom she said was in Northumbria. He speaks of her gift and how they had learned that the image on the reverse (Sulki seems quite certain that it must be the reverse / back side of the medallion, with Odin's side being the front) is that of the infant nailed god with his 'wizards' paying tribute to him. He then tells of the meeting with the king, and their newly added mission of meeting the sons of Ragnar and hoping to secure 'understanding' between the King of Denmark and the powers across the sea, while also trying to discover who and where this mysterious Seidr enemy might be..." "And so you see, there is much that lies before myself and my crew; much that depends on what we do. I will help you in your quest to avenge your father if I can, Gunnar Gunnarson, but I must also be frank: Vagrvik and its people, the ending of this curse must always take priority. If that is acceptable to you, if all that I have said here does not dissuade you, then I would welcome you to our crew." Sulki stands and holds out his hand.
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1256
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#10  Postby jezreel » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Gunnar is thoughtful, He takes Sulki's hand firmly and looks him squarely in the eye -
"I have found already in my short life, that the road is never straight ; that oftentimes the way forward unfolds in surprising twists and turns.
I know my destiny lies across the sea, and I expect that to find what I seek, I must allow Odin to guide me, trusting in the gifts He has given me and in the comrades that He chooses for me.
I believe that Odin has ordained that I voyage with you, Sulki Bardisson, and I am glad to join in your quest to rid our lands of this blight to our crops.
If we succeed, the we find favour with Odin, and that is what my heart desires

Let us swear an oath together - to be as brothers ; and never abandon the other until we have completed our quest, or died in the attempt and reached the Halls of Valhalla as men of whom songs are sung"
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#11  Postby NMorgan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:26 am

Sulki looks at Gunnar seriously for a moment and then nods. "To see this thing through together, neither abandoning the other, 'till either the breaking of the curse or we find our way to Valhöll in the attempt. That I will swear, and may we both find what we seek in Northumbria! But you should speak also with my blood-brothers Finni and Tjodolfr, and with the rest of the crew as well."
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1256
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#12  Postby Scipio » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:14 am

While working to equip the Sea-Horse for the journey, Biarni spends what time he can afford with his mother and brothers -his resentment towards Asrödr for throwing him out is lingering, but without strength. After all, has it not led to good things? Partner in a ship, an important mission and reporting to great and wealthy men -Biarni feels he can hold his head high in his brother's home. Skuggi is surely happy to have his old pack together, too, even if the new one spoils him as well.

Hoping that this might be a trading venture as well as a mission for the Jarl, the King, the Bishop and the Gildi (so many obligations), Biarni makes sure to spend time talking with Vestarr Thoroddrsson and the other members of the Gildi in Vágrvik to gain their advice on the trade between Northumbria and Denmark.
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Topic Posts: 13
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#13  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:08 am

Erafar is proud to tell his father that he is going to sail with the famous band of brothers on an important mission. When not sound asleep in his home, he works long hours on the ship, beeing very keen to show his prowess and to get to know every inch of the vessel that will separate himself from the mercyless waves of the sea.
User avatar
Bjorn Are Stolen

Member
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:45 pm
Location: Mandal, Agder, Norway
Topic Posts: 11
Vikingr: Tryggr

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#14  Postby jezreel » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:46 pm

Gunnar walks down to the seashore and sits on a favourite boulder -it's a place he had spent many hours as a boy and as a young man. He stares out to sea, watching the clouds, the tide,the horizon , the seabirds passing on the wind, casting him stiff-winged glances.
He has with him a cockerel , in a bag. Its scuffling distracts him somewhat, and in time, he picks up the bag and walks a little distance to a grove of old trees, bent over by the onshore wind.He is alone.
Here, he lights a small fire, and stares into the flames for a while;
At length he removes the bird from its bag and in a quick motion, cuts off its head with his knife ; he allows some of the blood to drip into the fire where it spits and smokes ; the movements of the slain bird slowly cease and
then, looking heavenward, he says the words

"Hail All father Odin
Wise warrior
One-eyed wanderer
Come sit at my fire
Tell me your wisdom stories
The scenes your missing eye sees
You who chooses the slain
Look on my deeds, and when the time comes
to join the sky with you
Let my end be worthy of song "


Gunnar hangs the bird from one of the trees, and sits for a couple of hours, as the fire dies

The wind plays in his hair, he smells the woodsmoke and the salt breeze, and he is content.
User avatar
jezreel

Member
 
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Topic Posts: 15
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Re: 193-867 Vestr [IC]

Post Number:#15  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:46 pm

When there is time between the training and fixing the ship Tjodolfer tries to talk with the new warrior. And decides to bring Finni along doing so. Seeing the big axe Dolfer thinks *** Another one with out a shield in our already small shield wall. By Thors beard are half of the warriors from Vargeviker half mad with a death wish like Finni. Hmm either he is another unexperienced man like Lofi how dont know how a battle is fought or he is already a skilled warrior that have chosen this weapon . I hope ist the last. If nothing else it does look scary.***

Tjodolfer goes over to the new man and take down his hood so he can see his face and reach out his arm to great him " Hi im Tjodolfer Gyrdison, use to lead thees men, but for some reason they found me to dim witted." Dolfer makes a dim smile after that comment and press the mans hand and arm to get a nothing if he is as strong as he looks. " Im still the man how makes the decisions when we are inn a fight. Dont know how you are, but glad to have you on board. This big axe of yours looks impressive. Hope your good with it. You should bring a shield as well people often throw things with pointy edges on us before we get close. Even before you get close with that long thing." Dolfer is pointing at the long axe smiling.

"Before we go we should get the hole crew together an do some sparring to see how things are. Hope you can join us this evening"
Before the say is over Dolfer goes around to all the members of the crew to gather them in the evening to do some training and see if there is any chance that they can cooperate as a unit or at least in small groups.
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Topic Posts: 16
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Next

Return to Sǫgur

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron