171-867 Miðsumar [IC]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

Re: 171-867 Miðsumar [IC]

Post Number:#16  Postby NMorgan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:02 am

He had known this was coming. Had known from the look on her face when she looked at them after the Christ-wizard put his spell on her. Though in truth he had expected this moment to come ever since he had found out who the 'bandit' had actually been. That particular piece of deceit by withheld information was a very large cause of the antipathy Sulki felt for the Bishop.

Sitting a little ways apart from Disa and also looking into the flames of the fire, Sulki says just as simply, "Yes. We did not know that was who he was at the time, but yes." Then, looking at her, he says "I did." His tone is apologetic, but also frank and honest, not hiding anything. Even if he thought it could be hidden from her, Sulki would not have - not something like this.
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 171-867 Miðsumar [IC]

Post Number:#17  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:45 am

When the time is right. Tjodolfer gets up to speak. " Friends we are gathered on this holy day to celebrate our resent victory. And to celebrate the that the gods gives us the summer and the sun how feeds us. Frey give a good harvest to this land and the land of Denmark. Let the crops of Vargevik be plentiful again." Thjodolf raises his cup and makes says " skål" and take a big swallow. " God of thunder that cross the sky, give us strength as we give you one more goat to your wagon to chaise the jotun and the great serpent." Then Tjodolfer takes is sword and scarifies the goat.

As the meat roast. Tjodolfer makes everyone drink for all the gods. But let the men take turn to praise them and give a few word each. After the meat is roosted and every have had their fill. Tjodolfer goes over to Disa to talk with here.
" The gods gives and takes. You have lost your father but gained you own life. As you said earlier the norns have spun our fates together. Us killing him gave him a proper death and a way to Valhalla. A better death than being burned. If you are going to blame any one, blame the Christians. They made the situation. If we had not killed you father someone else would. And im sure he would rather that you lived. " Tjodolfer tries to be kind as he say the harsh words. " As far as your future we both you. And you know what that means? We are not going to hurt you. But we where send here from Denmark to find a way to rid our Village of a crop plague. Use your sight to help us cure the this plunge and then you can be free and do what ever you want." Tjodolfer still try to be friendly but is a bit more serious now. " And if nothing else we risked a loot to get you out of that pyre. Most of us have wounds to show for that. And you know the gods better than us. Unless you have any other thing to say about what to do we plan to go to Denmark as soon as possible." Tjodolfer put one hand on the girls shoulder before he gets up.
Last edited by Jon Reinhardt on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 171-867 Miðsumar [IC]

Post Number:#18  Postby Scipio » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:35 am

Biarni drinks with the rest, joining the Saxons in their celebration of the gods and the sun's journey. The next day, he's nursing a slight hangover and letting Skuggi clean his greasy hands as he catches the exchange between Sulki and Disa. Not having been present in the fight against the outlaws, this was unknown to Biarni and he quickly -as quickly as yesterday's drink allows- re-evaluates the other man's words and actions since he came to know him.

He expresses this with a slight jaw drop, before grabbing another piece of meat to cover his thoughts.

"Huh."

As Tjodolfr lays the story and her fate out for the girl, Biarni pays close attention. This is the most thorough explanation of the crew's mission and plans he has heard so far, having been content to throw his lot in to get out of Jevers.
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 171-867 Miðsumar [IC]

Post Number:#19  Postby Lofi » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:16 am

As the group arrives at the place of festivities, great joy fills the heart of Lofi. Back in Jevers, having returned to the boat he had resumed his tradition to take a swim as soon as he woke up. This morning he had taken a little extra care in his appearance; combing his hair, grooming his beard and wearing his sllghtly less worn set of clothes. The meeting with the bishop was part of the reason, but there was another. Unfortunately, there had been little time to find any girls in town, as he had hoped. But as they walked closer to the burning fire Lofi had good hopes he would be able to honor Freyr and Freya in the best possible way on this night of celebrating fertility. The Scanian drank more than he usually does, although not excessively. The long hours and the dancing made him keep his senses.

Very early in the morning, well in time before the sacrifices, Lofi removes his cloak and the pin holding it in place. With his handaxe he cleaves it in two pieces. As people start making their sacrifices at the pyre, Vemund's son stands as close to the burning pile as he is physically able to. **Gods ... for keeping me whole, for giving me new brothers, for aiding us to success in our mission to free the girl, for your protection against the white christ.** Lofi throws the larger of the two silver pieces as deep into the fire as he can. He stands there silent, looking into the fire until the burning sensation on his face is too much to bear, then returns to where the rest of the crew is gathered. Filling another horn of beer Lofi walks among them wishing them all good fortune for the summer ahead. As the turn comes to Sulki, he gives him a big hug and thanks him again for lending him what he needed to aquire the, in his own opinion, charmed object on his head. The young sailor puts the smaller piece of the cloak pin in Sulki's hand and looks him in the eyes, "This is more than I owe, my friend, but still worth less than your generosity in my time of need. I will not start this summer in debt and you will do me no favor by refusing it."

As the meat roasts and it becomes his turn to speak, Lofi from Vargrvik stands. He clears his throat and speaks his words, "I am grateful to be alive on this day, among friends, among brothers. The all-father gave us a great victories at Kristr Heimisgarðar and at the beach and in return we sent some christians to their afterlife. The gods allowed me to fulfill my oath to the munkar. I've spent the night doing my best to try and honor the brother and sister in who's names the fires burn and I urge you all to do the same this day." He grins broadly at his companions. "If they like our efforts they' might look kindly on our fields back home and bless them. Some of my thoughts this day goes to Njord, master of the seas, that he brings us good winds and smooth sailing as our journey together continues.Here's to the ones who are not longer with us ...". Lofi pours some from his horn on the ground, " ... the little people ...", he spills a little more before rasing his horn to his friends, " ... and to us, brave young men of Vargrvik!" At this point he drains what's left in his horn, wipes his mouth and sits back down.

Later, as they're eating the ram Tjodolfr has sacrificed and Disa mentions her father, Lofi stays silent and chooses to take no part in the exchange as he had no part in the deed. He looks to Sulki and Tjodolfr as they respond and it's his opinion they both speak well and honor themself. He feeds Skuggi another piece of meat and scratches the four-legged crew-member behind the ear as the dog walk by.
User avatar
Lofi

Member
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:20 am
Location: Skåne, Sweden
Vikingr: Lofi

Re: 171-867 Miðsumar [IC]

Post Number:#20  Postby mark » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:30 pm

Dísa rolls her eyes, apparently not impressed, "So my Father was not unconscious on the ground when Sulki finished him with his spear on your orders Tjodolfr Gyrðison?" Her words do seem to fit with events as they actually happened, and that would mean Eiríkr The_Bandit_Leader is now suffering beneath one of the three roots of the world tree Yggdrasil in Hel...

Dísa continues, "And you say I will be free if I help you, so does that mean I am your þræll? I thought you paid my weregild, but perhaps I misunderstood the arrangement. Please be clear, am I your equal and you wish to hire my services ...or am I your þræll for you to command as you wish?"

weregild = man price
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 171-867 Miðsumar [IC]

Post Number:#21  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:19 pm

Dolfer looks intensely at Disa and says "I haven't decided, for now we are glad to celebrate the gods, be alive and finally get you out of the pyre" Dolfer get up as to leave. Before he goes he say "God touched or not how are to stop us having our way with you other than the gods? They to what they will anyhow! You do owe us something no mater what the conditions will be. But you are not to be harmed. And I hope we can find a way to help each other. The conditions depends a lot on what you choose to do. And an there will be an answer for you after we have had some sleep and got the ship. Believe it or not, I am not the only one how have a say it that" Then Tjodolfer turns away from the girl and go over to Sulki and say " I need to sleep, we will have to decide all this later, and all of us will have their say. Just make sure she do not run away" Then Dolfer turn towards the rest of the men and says "Get some rest,tomorrow we need to load a new ship, trade what we need and have a meting about what is next" Then Dolfer tries to find a place to sleep. It has been a long journy so far and some time to rest and think is in order both for the men of Vargevik and the young seer. Hopefully the ship will be loaded and the girl less bitter in the afternoon.
*** Its understandable that she is bitter for her fathers dead. But if it was not for his dead she would be burning. And there are many other lives at stake.***
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 171-867 Miðsumar [IC]

Post Number:#22  Postby mark » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:55 pm

There is a long uncomfortable silence, the only sound is the growing murmur of voices from across the fire and the crackling logs. The crowd of Saxons walk around the fire towards Tjodolfr and the others, presumably to say farewell after the feasting and sacrificing together all night, although they look a little serious.

Dísa finally breaks the silence, "How would I stop you? Well if you could live with the shame on your reputation then I hope my friends will stop you."

She adds, "I think I've suffered enough Tjodolfr Gyrðison, so I'll be staying here. Only when you've made amends for your misdeeds would I even consider allowing you to hire my services."

The number of Saxons gathering around the Menn af Vágrvik has grown, although their are women among them they outnumber them considerably, and now they are closer it is clear what they were murmuring, "Dísa Eiríkrdottir....Dísa Eiríkrdottir...."

Like all freemen and women, the Saxons are armed, while they are not ready for war their numbers make them a formidable force. It is clear they're gathering to protect the girl, some of the women taking her by the hand and others standing between Dísa and Tjodolfr. The male Saxons cautiously mark the Menn af Vágrvik.
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 171-867 Miðsumar [IC]

Post Number:#23  Postby NMorgan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:41 pm

Sulki carefully watches the conversation that was quickly bordering on confrontation between Dísa and Dolfr, a frown growing on his face. With all that had happened on both sides, there had been little chance that this meeting would go well. The frown turns into a wince when Dolfr turns his direction and tries to leave him in charge of the girl. He was likely the very last of them she would want set over her!

Yet when the Saxons begin gathering around them, Sulki actually chuckles aloud. "Honestly Dolfr, did you really think that she would not be known to the other forn sidr here? Did you think veiled threats would get you anywhere?" Turning somber once more, he slowly gets to his feet, and very slowly and very obviously removes his weapons one by one and tosses them at his feet, his eyes on Dísa's the entire while.

"There is none better to have at your side in battle, but elsewhere my brother is often about as subtle and crass as a wild aurochs stampeding through a hall, and he spoke in frustration. None of us mean you harm, nor have ever meant you harm."

"You were wronged Dísa Eirikrdottir. But that grievance lies most between you and I. Some of the men here were not there and had no part, and the starving people in my homeland surely are guiltless. Do not let thoughtless words turn this day that should be of celebration to pointless and needless bloodshed. I cannot undo what was done Dísa, but there are amends to be made, and I will make them. So come, let us go and speak of it, you and I. Or, if not now, then when you are ready."
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 171-867 Miðsumar [IC]

Post Number:#24  Postby Scipio » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:12 pm

As tension mounts, Biarni stands with hands in his belt, counting men. As Sulki speaks, he smiles at the seeress and the gathering Saxons and follows his comrade's example, pulling his weapons from his belt and drops them by his feet.

"This is not a fight we need to have. As my friend says, we mean you no harm. You have been wronged, but it was not us who threatened you with the fire or drove your father out. They... we... killed him without knowing who he was. I'll say the greater injury was done by the Chief Wizard of Jevers, and that the blood we've shed and..." He gestures at Sulki: "...the blood we've lost fighting for you should not count for nothing. We ask your aid against the crop-plague in our home. If the price for your aid is not yet met, name it."

Biarni half-turns to Tjodolfr, then back to Dísa. "If you would not come with us, you should at least leave these Christian lands or our blood and silver will soon be wasted."

Turning to Tjodolfr, he takes two steps towards the other man and spreads his hands, speaking softly. "I'm sorry my friend, but Sulki is right. She is a seeress and threats will get us nothing. Her skill can not be forced like a thrall's, and the Fates would surely turn on us if we tried."

Turning back to the exchange between Sulki and Dísa, he takes a step forward to keep his weapons within easy reach. The gesture is important, but he'll not be easy prey if the Saxons' mood turns ugly.
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 171-867 Miðsumar [IC]

Post Number:#25  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:52 pm

Dolfer screams out in anger " 5000 pices of silver was not a gift. If that not enough nothing will be. You are trossing away you weapon like stupid Sheep. " Tjodolfer looks angry at Bjarni, his drukne eys red with anger. As the saxsons get close Dolfer draw his sword to Keep them away.
Last edited by Jon Reinhardt on Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 171-867 Miðsumar [IC]

Post Number:#26  Postby mark » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:00 pm

There are at least twenty five Saxon men, and nearly as many women gathered by the fire around the Menn af Vágrivk, but with some many people moving around at close quarters it is impossible to count them accurately. They seem alert, but don't seem hostile until Tjodolfr's draws his sword, which provokes shouts of anger from the men and hatchets, seaxes, knives and clubs all start appearing, some men even have spears. There are clearly too many to fight...

Dísa now stands behinds a wall of Saxon womenfolk, her eyes down she can just be seen to be weaving straws of grass together in her hands. She says, "Sulki Barðisson, you have a good heart and I believe you acted without malice when you slayed my father, but still I have lost a family member. Only when I have a new one can my heart be made whole again."
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 171-867 Miðsumar [IC]

Post Number:#27  Postby Scipio » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:33 am

Gritting his teeth at Tjodolfr's outburst, Biarni does his best to appear calm but ready despite the increasing tension. He does not believe they can survive a fight against such numbers, but he's determined that the first Saxon to attack shall join him in Valhalla.

As Dísa speaks again, he looks at her with surprise and then to Sulki. Surely she does not mean what it sounds like...?
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 171-867 Miðsumar [IC]

Post Number:#28  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:55 pm

Tjodolfer looks suprised " you want to marry Suki? Why did you not say so at once! There is another day i need to rest. Suki looks like its you woman. Ill see u sll later by the boat." Tjodolfr puts away his sword and gater his thing and goes back to the boat to sleep.
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 171-867 Miðsumar [IC]

Post Number:#29  Postby NMorgan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:53 pm

Dísa wrote: Dísa now stands behinds a wall of Saxon womenfolk, her eyes down she can just be seen to be weaving straws of grass together in her hands. She says, "Sulki Barðisson, you have a good heart and I believe you acted without malice when you slayed my father, but still I have lost a family member. Only when I have a new one can my heart be made whole again."



”errr… “




Completely nonplussed, Sulki stands there frowning with jaw slightly agape and obviously unsure as to how to take the woman’s statement. He watches Dísa’s hands work, or at least watches them as best he is able with the crowd of Saxon women standing between them. She had been weaving when they first met. Weaving, always weaving, and for a split second Sulki wonders with a superstitious shiver if blades of grass were the only things being woven just then. It was hard to think and to hear, what with Dolfr shouting and the angry press of people as weapons are drawn.

”A new family member?”

It was half repeated statement, half a question. Her words did not make a lot of sense to him given the circumstances, and he was fairly certain he must have misheard her. Sure, they had flirted a little when they met, but that was before... Sulki did not trust himself to read her words correctly, at all. ***How can another make one whole from the loss of a father? Why does she say this to me? I cannot give her anyone save myself, and I am the one who… Maybe she does not have other family to look after her? I know she has no husband, and now no father. She spoke once of tied destiny. Even so, she cannot possibly mean that how it sounded. What is she really saying?***

Jon Reinhardt wrote:Tjodolfer looks suprised " you want to marry Suki? Why did you not say so at once! There is another day i need to rest. Suki looks like its you woman. Ill see u sll later by the boat."


Dolf’s words suddenly cut through his thoughts like a knife. He glances over and sees the surprise also written across Biarni’s face. Had they both heard the same?

Realizing he needed to say something, even if it would doubtless be the wrong thing, he speaks at last in a carefully neutral, yet sincere tone, ”I owe you amends for something that I do not think that I can ever truly make right, Dísa Eirikrdottir, but I will try as I have said. He half turns his head in the direction Dolfr had gone. "Yet I am not sure that I understand your full meaning.”
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 171-867 Miðsumar [IC]

Post Number:#30  Postby Lofi » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:22 am

Lofi laughs as he gets to his feet. "I don't think you need to pay with your life, my friend", he says to Sulki. "Give her a child. A son or a daughter to be payment for the father." Lofi looks at Sulki and then at Disa, smiling and looking like he's about to say something, but he never does. Instead his gaze falls upon a young saxon woman and he nods to her, still with a warm smile on his face.
User avatar
Lofi

Member
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:20 am
Location: Skåne, Sweden
Vikingr: Lofi

PreviousNext

Return to Sǫgur

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron