157-867 Hvítakristr Munkar [IC]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

Re: 157-867 Hvítakristr Munkar [IC]

Post Number:#31  Postby Scipio » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:53 pm

"I'll get my arm looked at, then I'll go find Skuggi and whatever I can carry. It won't be too much, though. Eymundr knows the head wizard in Jevers better than me, I'm not sure which of us is best fit to travel. I'm sure I can get a decent price for what we don't want. But let's be sure we have what we need before selling.

The plan is good, but we need to know how soon Averil will be here if the man we let go went straight to the ship. With two men gone, we have even worse odds."

Biarni starts looking for someone who looks like a healer as soon as a decision on who to send is made.
Scipio

Vikingr: Biarni

Post Number:#32  Postby Lofi » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:56 pm

"We could let the Bishop arrange for the selling of things, or leave them with þorvaldr on the boat and let him sort it. I'll help bring our things from the forest as soon as we've sorted our armour. If anyone upgrades to these, I'd like to help myself to lighter but stronger than I'm wearing. Except for that lucky helm." With those words he heeds Dolfr's instructions and goes to seek out his new headwear from the pile.
Lofi

Vikingr: Lofi

Post Number:#33  Postby Lofi » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:47 am

As he reaches for the protective headgear to find the one he's looking for, Lofi's stopped by a couple of the Christians. Baffled by their tenacity the Scanian looks around the hall until he spots the fellow who translated for Cynric. As Lofi explains to the man that he's interested in one of the leather helmets and is willing to pay for it, the matter is soon resolved, although Vemundrson has to back go to the rest of the crew and ask for 2½ silver pieces. Sulki is kind enough to offer the money and the purchase is made. Lofi can't help but respect the munkars resolve to defend their property, although he's slightly annoyed at their stinginess.

Inspecting the arming caps carefully, Lofi finds one of them having a deep scratch on the left side which fits with where he thinks his javelin might have hit. Confident that that's the one, the sailor smiles brightly and nods at the brown-robed man counting his silver. As he returns to the group at the end of the hall Lofi holds up his recent acquisition like a trophy, as happy as a clam at high water. He takes off his old one and tosses it on a table, "If anyone needs that one you're welcome to it, else sell it with the rest of the loot in town."
Lofi

Post Number:#34  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:34 pm

" yes that is a great idea we can let þorvaldr sell the stuff fore us any way he like. He is much beter at these things than most of us." Dolfer replays to Lofti
Jon Reinhardt

Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Post Number:#35  Postby Scipio » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:39 pm

Biarni grins at Lofi's obvious joy. "The Christ-men have sold you a damaged one. Look, it's all scratched!" He then turns to Tjodolfr. "þorvaldr should have the time to get a good deal, the idea is good. I'll take one of the spears, if no one minds. Having an extra to throw would be useful, and they're not worth much silver."
Scipio

Post Number:#36  Postby Lofi » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:33 pm

”From aloft flew gaflak ... struck seafarer's skull". Lofi puts the arming cap tightly on his head, then knocks on it with his fist, and smiles back at Biarni. "The hide helm held.”

The Scanian laughs lightly, then nods as he states, "I believe this one has much luck."
Lofi

Post Number:#37  Postby NMorgan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:35 am

Sulki chuckles at his friend's good humor. "If it's good luck, best be careful, or I may 'borrow' it, leaving my set of armor with you instead! Better yet, maybe we should let Thorvaldr sell this set too. Both its wearers have ended up riddled with holes!"
NMorgan

Vikingr: Sulki

Post Number:#38  Postby Lofi » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:55 am

Lofi shakes his head. "No. We don't want to sell your armour. Not yet. Maybe we have to when we come back to Jever." He makes a gesture towards the center of the hall. "If you don't trust it, exchange it for another. But definitely keep it for now. Who knows what that gaflak had done to your arm if you hadn't been wearing the armor. I don't think it'd be pretty, and I believe you owe the gods fair thanks."

Vemund's son is serious for but a moment while mentioning the gods, but then grins widely again. "Now, my friend ... would you care to armwrestle?"
Lofi

Post Number:#39  Postby Scipio » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:33 pm

At the mentioning of armour, Biarni looks thoughtful. He stands, seeking out the abbot and the interpreter. "Our leader said you would lend us armour for the fight against Averil's men, on oath to return it. My name is Biarni Grimrsson, of Vágrvik in the land of Danes. My word is good. I will swear the oath, if the offer stands."

He casts a half-excusing glance over his shoulder at the crew, then shrugs.

"These wizards have spoken Roman to me before, and it has done me no harm. The Frisian's spear has."
Scipio

Post Number:#40  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:04 pm

When the grouppe is gathers Tjodolfer say " So we send Finni with them and then he gives the loot to þorvaldr so he can earn money from it best way he sees fit. That means that there is no need for Eymundr to go to town. Unless he rely wants to. The rest off us is to injured to go any where if not absolutely needed. Hopefully we will get men, be able to fight the pirates and get away with the ship." Then Tjodolfer pauses and look at the men.
" If we have a ship what do we then do?. I guess we can sell it and that is on board to get enough silver to buy the girl. But I would rather have the ship, even if that mean we cant pay. All of us want to save Vargevikr but to do so its not enough to have the girl. We need grain or other food for the winter. We have a whole summer to fix this. But it would be a loot easier with a ship. There is also the need to some how get the old boat back to Ribe. That boat is not ours so I think we should give it back if it comes to that. But if we manage to fix all of this where do we go then up north to Northumbria?"
Jon Reinhardt

Post Number:#41  Postby Scipio » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:54 pm

"Maybe the cargo would be enough, and what we can take from the dead. The armours are worth some silver. Then we could keep the ship to trade for food. Hard to trade without cargo, though, and we are too few for a raiding party." Biarni gives a fatalistic shrug and half-grin. "As for the choice between ship or girl, I am undecided. Both have merit. My goal is Northumbria and I'd vote for us to go there."
Scipio

Post Number:#42  Postby Lofi » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:09 pm

While Biarni speaks Lofi stands, takes off his cloak and shakes it, before hanging it up to dry. He turns Tjodolfr and replies, "Captain, my answer won't be a surprise to anyone and I will gladly speak of the matter. But would we not be best served if we have food and drink, our wounds tended and some sleep before making this decision.If we're doing it now, should I go and let Finni in? .... since we've struck a deal with the Abbot. I don't think he needs to be standing out in the rain." He lowers his voice considerably as he adds, "And we have no reason to announce our future plans to the Christians, do we?"
Lofi

Post Number:#43  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Tjodolfer follow Loftis example and take of some wet clothing for drying." Yes, do that. Food and rest is needed. But if not discussion now it is at least something we need to think about."
Jon Reinhardt

Post Number:#44  Postby Lofi » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:39 am

Lofi goes to the door and opens it, calling out to the man outside, "Finni! You can come in and get warm. Dolfr has made a deal with the munkar so I don't think they'll steal our gear. We'll get fed and seen to." As Finni comes closer, he adds with a grin, "If you swear an oath to the White Christ you might get a suit an armour." Stepping back from the door, leaving it open for Hamall's son, Lofi walks up the translator monk. "I am Lofi, son of Vemund the White, son of Gormr Haraldsson of Høj and I have no reason not to be proud of my name. Your priest-jarl Almundson said that when names were exchanged, we could have food and drink." Being at first quite matter-of-factly, he then smiles at the man in the brown robe, speaking his language. "And I feel as I could eat a horse, right now."

"It was also said you've made this armour," he indicates the cap on his head, "and I would like to know if you also make gambesons like what Eymundr is wearing." Lofi points over at the skald. "I will not swear an oath to your Gods for it, as it would mean little more to me than the breath I use to speak the words, but I would be willing to swear one to mine own depending on the wording you would ask. And ... since you've allowed me into your warm hall when the morning is cold and Freyr bestows us his blessing', I give my word not to cause grief in your house while I'm your guest ... if I can help it. I also offer my protection against those who seek to do you harm while I stay in these halls."

Lofi pauses to let the man take in his offer, and translate if for the Abbots and the other monks benefit, then adds with a straight face, “If a horse is not on offer, mule will do.”

*Meaning the rain.
Lofi

Post Number:#45  Postby mark » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:57 pm

TOTAL NON-COMBAT POSTS

Wed Feb 01 to Fri Feb 17, 2017

(16 days @ 4 posts per week = 9 posts expected)

Lofi 11
Biarni 10
Sulki 5
Tjodolfr 12
mark

Site Admin

Vikingr: Game Master

Previous

Return to Sǫgur