157-867 Ǫrvar Frá Hrōf [IC]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

157-867 Ǫrvar Frá Hrōf [IC]

Post Number:#1  Postby mark » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:46 pm

Time: Dawn, 157-867 [night: 8hrs]
Weather: Chill, overcast, with rain.
Wind: Calm Day

Lofi doesn’t hear any commotion from inside the great hall as Biarni continues to try and question the prisoner, but his exceedingly limited ability to speak the man’s language is getting him nowhere fast. Fortunately, Sulki is better able to translate and puts Biarni’s questions and one of his own to the man. After some time he believes the prisoner has answered that altogether there are twenty five men, that “the silver” is on their ship, that he doesn’t know what Captain Averil wants, that his ship is beached about a good day’s walk to the north, and that they’ve been guarding the place for a few days.
View Inside the Hall.jpg

The man has been very forthcoming, but there is no real way to tell if he speaks the truth or not. It’s very tricky to use insight when one doesn’t speak the language very well, nor understands the culture or religion, and it’s hard to discern the man’s facial expressions when he’s in pain and it is dark. So he’s taken to the smaller hall to the south west, the door ‘unbarred’ and he is handed over to the men inside before being locked in again.

Before that happens, Sulki sets to work removing the injured prisoner’s thick leather armour. Despite the spear-hole in the chest area and the congealed blood on the inside, it’s in fairly good condition. Several layers of thinner leather have been sewn together, cross-ply, making it surprisingly resilient to blades as well as most weather. The only problem is that Sulki cannot carry his own armour as well as wearing the new set, so he puts his into his backpack which he puts on the cart.

Now it is time to rest before the planned assault in the morning in about three to four hour’s time. Biarni and Eymundr both keep watch first, but Biarni has been awake a long time and he’s really suffering the effects of lack of sleep, he is effectively ‘winded’ and will remain so until he has had a good night’s sleep. Eymundr doesn’t have a problem staying up late, and neither does Tjodolfr and Lofi who take the second shift. In fact, Dolfr recovers from his early exertion in combat and is no longer ‘winded’, although of course he still has a serious leg injury. Similarly, Sulki who was able to sleep the whole time is reasonably recovered from the earlier fight. However, everybody, even those who slept a little, now wish they could have more sleep. Perhaps after they have broken into the hall they will get that opportunity.

At first light, Lofi and Hrolleifr look up at the sky. It’s a chill, overcast day, much like the previous day and it’s still raining, and that’s not going to be much help when climbing. Fortunately though, the wind has dropped off, it is a calm day, and that is good for ranged fighting. so if Hrolleifr can get a good vantage point on the roof, perhaps young Hrolleifr’s bow will finally prove its worth. Meanwhile, the barn they lit last night still smoulders slowly, sending a great column of dark smoke high into the sky.

The two men leave the barn and head to the eastern end of the great hall, the east and west ends are where the roof pitch is the least steep. They start to slowly pull themselves up to the ridge of the roof with their weapons tied to their backs. Here is where the wooden cross is affixed to one of the roof beams, and there is a smoke-hole above the centre of the hall, between the wooden shingles. This is where the two men clamber quietly trying to see down inside the hall. They catch glimpses from inside the hall while they try to avoid being seen in turn. With luck they might be able to get into shooting positions.

As Lofi and Hrolleifr are climbing the roof, Eymundr and Biarni start to harness the mule, he’s a poor specimen, but that still makes him exceedingly valuable. The mule and large cart are no ready to roll, but the only loaded cargo so far is Sulki’s old armour. There are a couple of barrels of beer and five sacks of feed nearby, just inside the barn, but this poor old mule won’t be able to carry too much on his own before he gets exhausted. The planned cargo seems to be quite a bit too much.

Dolfr, Finni and Sulki move slightly towards the hall, mulling over the assault one final time, each man finding the courage for the fight ahead in his own way. If they killed these six men, would Captain Averil send another eight men to take their place? What if he decided to take his vengeance on the Menn af Vágrvik, being outsiders themselves here in Saxony, nobody would come to their rescue. But if there was a time for doubting the wisdom of their plan it was over now as the door of the great hall flew open and six armed and ready men burst out into the day light. It seems there would be no need to storm the hall after all.

Just as the Menn af Vágrvik are preparing for a fight right in front of them, they hear a bashing sound from the south. It seems the men in the smaller hall have decided it is time they were up and about on the dawn of this new day, they say the Christ God despises the lazy. Time would soon tell if they planned to intervene in the coming fight, perhaps they would just spectate, but a force of around twenty four devout men should not be totally ignored.


COMBAT
Combat has now commenced!
The men who have just burst out of the great hall are dressed for action, they all have thick leather armour. Most have javelins, spears and shields, save for the archer in the middle at the back. Their 'front rank' are standing under twelve metres from Sulki, Finni and Tjodolfr, but they are not yet in a shield wall.

This might be a tough fight, but on a positive note, the rain will soon wash away the blood...

BATTLE MAP
Monastery.jpg


INITIATIVE
All the Menn af Vágrvik should roll initiative now...


NPC INITIATIVE ROLLS
Hrolleifr
mark rolled 1d10+10 and got a total of 17:
7


Finni
mark rolled 1d10+12 and got a total of 18:
6


Eymundr
mark rolled 1d10+10 and got a total of 13:
3


Underling#3
mark rolled 1d10+8 and got a total of 17:
9


Underling#4
mark rolled 1d10+8 and got a total of 10:
2


Underling#5
mark rolled 1d10+8 and got a total of 17:
9


Underling#6
mark rolled 1d10+8 and got a total of 15:
7


Underling#7
mark rolled 1d10+8 and got a total of 13:
5


Underling#8
mark rolled 1d10+8 and got a total of 9:
1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 157-867 Ǫrvar Frá Hrōf [IC]

Post Number:#2  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:18 pm

Tjodolfer Rolls initiative
Jon Reinhardt rolled 1d10+11 and got a total of 20:
9
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 157-867 Ǫrvar Frá Hrōf [IC]

Post Number:#3  Postby Scipio » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:25 pm

Biarni rolls initative (d10 + Strike 11 - Armour Enc 4):
Scipio rolled 1d10+7 and got a total of 14:
7
User avatar
Scipio

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm
Location: Norway
Vikingr: Biarni

Re: 157-867 Ǫrvar Frá Hrōf [IC]

Post Number:#4  Postby NMorgan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:42 pm

[OOC: Not sure what Sulki's current SR would be with the new armor(or has it already been added to his sheet? At any rate I will just roll his base, unmodified and we can adjust to match the new encumbrance.]

NMorgan rolled 1d10+14 and got a total of 15:
1


GM's EDIT: New, adjusted Strike Rank with armour penalty = 8, therefore corrected Initiative = 9
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 157-867 Ǫrvar Frá Hrōf [IC]

Post Number:#5  Postby Lofi » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:44 pm

Initiative for Lofi (d10+11):

Lofi rolled 1d10+11 and got a total of 14:
3
User avatar
Lofi

Member
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:20 am
Location: Skåne, Sweden
Vikingr: Lofi

Re: 157-867 Ǫrvar Frá Hrōf [IC]

Post Number:#6  Postby mark » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:31 pm

ROUND#1

STRIKE RANK
20 Tjodolfr
18 Finni
17 Hrolleifr & Underling#5 & Underling#3
15 Underling#6
14 Lofi & Biarni
13 Eymundr & Underling#7
10 Underling#4
9 Sulki & Underling#8



Underling#4 yells in a foreign tongue, "SKILD WAL!" Sulki knows this to be Frisian for, "Shield Wall." [FREE ACTION: SPEAK]

Underling#3, Underling#4, Underling#5 all ward their arms and legs with their shields and their heads with their spears. [FREE ACTION: WARD]
Underling#6 & Underling#8 both ward their arms and legs with their shields nd their heads with their javelins. [FREE ACTION: WARD]


CYCLE#1

Tjodolfr may act now, he is about 12m from the nearest 'guard' (Underling#5).
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 157-867 Ǫrvar Frá Hrōf [IC]

Post Number:#7  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:43 pm

Tjodolfer guards his leggs and arms and and Throws his spear at the enemy. Tjodolf rolls karl (65)
Jon Reinhardt rolled 1d100 and got a total of 19:
19
User avatar
Jon Reinhardt

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Re: 157-867 Ǫrvar Frá Hrōf [IC]

Post Number:#8  Postby mark » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:08 pm

Underling#5 attempts to parry the spear with his shield...
mark rolled 1d100 and got a total of 9:
9
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 157-867 Ǫrvar Frá Hrōf [IC]

Post Number:#9  Postby mark » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:11 pm

Underling#5 successfully parries the spear that Tjodolfr threw.




Finni throws one of his spears at Underling#4...
mark rolled 1d100 and got a total of 36:
36
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 157-867 Ǫrvar Frá Hrōf [IC]

Post Number:#10  Postby mark » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:12 pm

Underling#4 attempts to parry the spear with his shield...
mark rolled 1d100 and got a total of 73:
73
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 157-867 Ǫrvar Frá Hrōf [IC]

Post Number:#11  Postby mark » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:16 pm

Underling#4 fails to parry the spear thrown by Finni....

Finni chooses Special Effect Impale.

Hit Location:
mark rolled 1d20 and got a total of 20:
20


Damage (highest of two rolls), less Armour Points:
mark rolled 1d8-3 and got a total of 0:
3

mark rolled 1d8-3 and got a total of -2:
1
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 157-867 Ǫrvar Frá Hrōf [IC]

Post Number:#12  Postby mark » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:19 pm

Unfortantely, the spear glances off the man's thick leather armour and causes no injury.




Hrolleifr & Underling#5 & Underling#3 all act together.

Hrolleifr readies his bow. [PROACTIVE ACTION: READY WEAPON(bow)]

Underling#5 & Underling#3 start to form their shield wall. [PROACTIVE ACTION: MOVE]




Underling#6 throws his gaflak at Sulki...
mark rolled 1d100 and got a total of 44:
44
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 157-867 Ǫrvar Frá Hrōf [IC]

Post Number:#13  Postby mark » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:20 pm

The gaflak is on target for Sulki. Sulki may elect to parry or rely on his wards to keep him safe.
User avatar
mark

Site Admin
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 am
Location: Bouremouth, United Kingdom
Vikingr: Game Master

Re: 157-867 Ǫrvar Frá Hrōf [IC]

Post Number:#14  Postby NMorgan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:37 am

[[ooc: For my knowledge, what is the damage reduction of the new armor, and what areas does it cover? Everything, or? Apologies if this was stated before. Especially if everything is covered by armor, then Sulki probably has a better shot with a passive defense.]]

Sulki sees the oncoming gaflak and quickly moves his shield to intercept!

Spear fighter v48
NMorgan rolled 1d100 and got a total of 78:
78
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Re: 157-867 Ǫrvar Frá Hrōf [IC]

Post Number:#15  Postby NMorgan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Luck Point reroll parry:

NMorgan rolled 1d100 and got a total of 59:
59
User avatar
NMorgan

Senior Member
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Vikingr: Sulki

Next

Return to Sǫgur

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron