197-868 Sumr Penningar [OOC]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

Re: 197-868 Sumr Penningar [OOC]

Post Number:#376  Postby NMorgan » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:22 am

The area north and east of the city - is it actually empty, or is the map empty because we didn't really explore that way? Wondering how many hamlets we would run into if we tried North of the city.

Would setting up our temporary docks work at all along the northern shore of the estuary, or do we pretty much have to set them up along the river proper?
NMorgan

Donator

Topic Posts: 44
Vikingr: Sulki

Post Number:#377  Postby mark » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:30 pm

Facepalm.png

NMorgan wrote:The area north and east of the city - is it actually empty, or is the map empty because we didn't really explore that way? Wondering how many hamlets we would run into if we tried North of the city.
Yes! It could be for either reason; actually empty or due to not being explored.
NMorgan wrote:Would setting up our temporary docks work at all along the northern shore of the estuary, or do we pretty much have to set them up along the river proper?
The size/location/scale of the estuary on the latest map is very poor. It is more representative of the general direction of the estuary as I couldn't get it all in the map and it didn't seem necessary at the time of creating the map. If it is going to be very important to the players' plan I could possibly extend the down-river/estuary portion of the map...? Let me know. I discounted it being viable for reasons already alluded to in IC & specified clearly in OOC. :P

East or southeast of the city the river actually gently widens and eventually becomes a confluence of a few other tributaries and forms a wider estuary nearer the cost.

The 'temporary dock' should be designed & prefabricated for whatever the landing-terrain the PCs ultimately choose to land their ships. Whether sand/mud flats, shallows, steep river bank or whatever. In most cases I imagine this will be just a simple long, wide (2.5m+) wooden slipway for the horses to walk onto the ship. Keep in mind the whole river system is tidal, this could be a major factor in the timing of loading horses. Also, beaching a ship isn't any good for horses, they require a level ship, which means a floating ship.

Anyway, to answer your question Nathan: The PCs may build their dock/slipway more or less where they want, either north or south bank. There are no significant terrain obstructions/impediments to where it can be located, at least within a mile or so of the city. Construction won't be silent or be possible in darkness. Got to find a good location, offload materials, hammer wood etc, makes noise and all that requires a decent amount of light.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mark

Site Admin

Topic Posts: 144
Vikingr: Game Master

Post Number:#378  Postby mark » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:47 am

I think we (ie: the players) really have to develop the plan a fair bit more than just specifying landing and holding the bridge from the southern side of the city.

Stuff like...
What order do the ships sail & land in?
Do the ships land in a line formation or abreast of each other?
What is the response to be to Englar challenges?
What is being used to form a barricade/fortification on the bridge & which crew takes that with them?
Once the ships have landed, what happens next, who goes where and does what?
How long does each unit have for their task?
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#379  Postby mark » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:30 pm

I've feel I've been about as forthcoming as I can be so far without a roll of Lore(Strategy & Tactics), which might provide more info.

Sorry if anybody feels like I've shut their ideas down either IC or OOC - the PCs can of course ultimately make their own choices on how to run the mission. I'm merely trying to help them see what Ubbi & Hross would understand, but like I say, the choice is yours! :twisted:
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#380  Postby Kenton » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:44 pm

Responding in IC as I get the chance. Will try to add tonight.
Kenton

Topic Posts: 111
Vikingr: Torvaldr

Post Number:#381  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:04 pm

I would like to roll Lore(Strategy & Tactics) as thats one of Dolfers stronger skills
Dolfer rolls Lore(Strategy & Tactics) (67)
Jon Reinhardt rolled 1d100 and got a total of 98:
Jon Reinhardt

Donator

Topic Posts: 72
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Post Number:#382  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:04 pm

oki i think i will use a groupe reroll on that.

Jon Reinhardt rolled 1d100 and got a total of 100:
Jon Reinhardt

Donator

Post Number:#383  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:05 pm

oki can i get a price for that?
Jon Reinhardt

Donator

Post Number:#384  Postby Kenton » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:47 am

Oof, rough rolling!

Mark, I can't remember, what kind of fortification does the bridge have? Am I correct in remembering a gate of some sort?
Kenton

Topic Posts: 111
Vikingr: Torvaldr

Post Number:#385  Postby mark » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:52 am

Kenton wrote:Mark, I can't remember, what kind of fortification does the bridge have? Am I correct in remembering a gate of some sort?

Neither bridge into the city has any (permanent) fortifications, the much larger souther bridge (the 'Stock Bridge') has stone pylons under its wooden beams making it harder to destroy/clear for shipping. Bridges, are fairly easy to defend as they are a natural choke point where the frontage of a unit is extremely limited. Therefore, bridges could very rapidly receive ad hoc temporary fortifications with barrels, lumber, wagons, sandbags etc, making them even more formidable in defence.

The Stock bridge is usually defended by 4 East Anglian men on the northern bank only who are +80m from the southern bank where Hross is proposing to hold/defend. Therefore, 'taking' the bridge may not be necessary or desirable, as any section (ie: just the southern part) of the bridge could be defended by the PCs men, no need to clear all of it of (potential) enemy.

Jon Reinhardt wrote:oki i think i will use a groupe reroll on that.

Original post: Jon Reinhardt rolled 1d100 and got a total of 100:

:shock:

I think it is official, Jon has the worst & the best rolls. I have added +1 Lore(Strategy & Tactics) to my copy of Dolfr's sheet.

EDIT: I have added Dolfr's thoughts as a result of his amazing roll to IC. It's all 100% legit. Honest. :P
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#386  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:54 pm

mark wrote:I think it is official, Jon has the worst & the best rolls. I have added +1 Lore(Strategy & Tactics) to my copy of Dolfr's sheet.

EDIT: I have added Dolfr's thoughts as a result of his amazing roll to IC. It's all 100% legit. Honest. :P

With that fumble, perhaps he can come up with my OOC idea :grin:
Bjorn Are Stolen

Topic Posts: 22
Vikingr: Tryggr

Post Number:#387  Postby mark » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:11 pm

Getting a workable plan is like pulling teeth! :lol:

Is the southern bank, to the east/south-east of the city, the PCs final decision for approach? This is the approach that is farthest from the horse dealer.

Are there any other considerations at all?

Red Dragon.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#388  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:53 pm

from Dolfer rolls i think its ok. So we need material for the building project and maybe we should try to hire some archers?
Jon Reinhardt

Donator

Post Number:#389  Postby mark » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:02 pm

I'll let the other players answer that for you. :smile:
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#390  Postby mark » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:32 am

Hey Guys,

I am saddened to say that Kenton sent me a very nice message explaining he has to withdraw from the game. He is a good player and I will miss his roleplay. :(
mark

Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Sǫgur