191-868 Konungr Friðr [OOC]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

Re: 191-868 Konungr Friðr [OOC]

Post Number:#76  Postby NMorgan » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:28 am

Ditto!
NMorgan

Donator

Topic Posts: 9
Vikingr: Sulki

Post Number:#77  Postby Kenton » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:38 am

How well would Torvaldr know Hross?
Kenton

Topic Posts: 32
Vikingr: Torvaldr

Post Number:#78  Postby mark » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:31 am

Torvaldr would have sometimes seen Hross around the city, most frequently in the current pub when Torvaldr was doing his skald gigs, but he would have had no reason to have any direct dealing and thus has had no (or very limited) conversation and no formal introductions with Hross. However, Torvaldr regularly got the best tips from Hross and the two men usually nod in casual greeting to each other, so Hross would recognise Torvaldr and know his profession.

Torvaldr would definitely know Hross' name, despite no formal introduction, as he is a wealthy & successful Danish horse trader and a powerful man who usually travels with an entourage. Torvaldr would also know Hross to be the leader of a significant cavalry scout force in the employ of the Ragnarsson brothers. Hross is possibly rich and powerful enough to be a jarl in his own right, yet he is just a karl, apparently. Hross would be very interesting for Torvaldr to chat with as he probably has a great many tales of great deeds, raids and epic cavalry skirmishes....yet Hross (clearly a nickname) has never shared a single story - with anybody - to the best of Torvaldr's knowledge.
mark

Site Admin

Topic Posts: 43
Vikingr: Game Master

Post Number:#79  Postby Kenton » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:48 am

Torvaldr gives Hross' comment a think...
Insight = 42
Kenton rolled 1d100 and got a total of 21:
Kenton

Post Number:#80  Postby mark » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:28 pm

Anybody got anything else to ask Hross? Are we ready to wrap this scene up? :smile:
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#81  Postby Kenton » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:40 pm

It seems Hross isn't volunteering much anything. He's being cagey about wanting his reputation thrown around. Has that come up before? My idea to ask about any Christian men in his employ might not get us very far, but if such a person existed and could provide and introduction to a monk or priest at the cathedral, maybe our golden gifts could get us the rest of the way there?
Kenton

Post Number:#82  Postby mark » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:13 pm

Not sure if it would have been explained by the other PCs to Torvaldr (I think maybe not?), in which case it is meta, but Hross is also a spy master for the Ragnarssons. That should explain why he is a bit private.

As far as Hross answering questions you can try, nobody else seems to be asking much, but he just might not be the man to ask, I'm just saying! I'm not really sure why Jon wanted to meet with him again, it might have been for a loan...?

As before, it may or may not have been explained to Torvaldr that Ubbi's Frisian (modern day Netherlanders) mercenaries guard the entire cathedral complex (the northwest corner of the city) and they are borderline hostile to everybody, with admission very strictly controlled on Ubbi's orders. The Frisians' (part of the invasion force) language is closest to the local Anglian language, they are not culturally Norse, they are Christians but they serve a pagan Danish master.

So the Frisian mercs respect the Cathedral and are marginally more pleasantly disposed towards the locals than they are towards the ordinary Danes. Making them a very interesting army of occupation and a thorn in the side of the PCs. In fact one pirate captain, "Styrimaðr" Averil, they fought on a beach near a monastery in Old Saxony (wiping out most of his crew) has been found again commanding a unit of men inside the cathedral...he offered to help only once he was paid a weregeld (man price) for some of his men they killed...as a compensation.

Ubbi's plan is simple, keep the city calm & everybody away from the cathedral, and thus to not offend the local population by allowing pillaging, sacrilege, thefts, assaults, arson, vandalism, fights or riots to happen in the city but most of all at their precious cathedral, so he and his brother (who would have burned the churches to the ground and enslaved the locals) can keep the local work force reasonably content/stable - and therefore paying taxes - which they need to pay their mercenaries & other men to maintain their grip on power.
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#83  Postby mark » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:06 pm

Your ship's capacity is 45m3...

Each man requires 1m3
Each horse requires 4m3
Each barrel requires 1m3

A horse will require 20l of water per day (15th of a barrel)
A horse will require 10kg of feed per day (110th of a barrel)

A human will require 2l of water per day (150th of a barrel)
A human will require 1kg of food per day (1100th of a barrel)

Be aware that there are other considerations besides technically having the capacity for horses on the ship, such as where the animals will be and how they will interact with the operation of the vessel. Horse cannot be 'below deck', heck you couldn't even physically get them in the 'hold'.

If the PCs ship 4 horses and have 3 barrels of feed/water for each (animals above deck, 2 fore, 2 aft), then they will have a little space left over and can potentially look after the animals for up to 10 days in case of delays or bad weather. I think a maximum of 2 more horses could be transported (a total of 6), but it would mean taking less feed & barrels of water and risk jeopardising the operation of the ship, so probably isn't worth it. :shifty:
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#84  Postby mark » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:36 pm

Any thing left to be done at the current scene? Where to next? Where will the men sleep tonight? If at the pub, who will pay for it?
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#85  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:06 am

If Tryggr still has money, he can pay.
Bjorn Are Stolen

Topic Posts: 2
Vikingr: Tryggr

Post Number:#86  Postby mark » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:21 pm

Thanks Bjorn, let's see what the others have to say.

Guys,

My son has the plague. He had a mild temperature for a couple of hours and now seems absolutely fine, bouncing around smashing stuff and generally causing trouble as usual, bloody vikings! No school for ten days of this torture. :roll: :lol:

Ironically he got his positive result right after I just got my third plague vaccine, I imagine that jab won't be in time to help me very much. So I'm fairly resigned to the fact that me and/or the missus may well suddenly get pretty sick in the next week to two, we'll just have to see. If you hear nothing from me, you will know what's up.
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#87  Postby Kenton » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:28 pm

Hey, what fun. My family managed to get sick before the booster became a thing. Me, my wife, and my son all piled into a cabin on Deep Creek Lake and tried to have ourselves a very covid mini-vacation. An isolationcation perhaps? I can recommend Deep Creek if anyone finds themselves on the East Coast of the US.
Kenton

Post Number:#88  Postby NMorgan » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:27 pm

Yikes! Well, hope everyone recovers quickly, or better yet somehow manages to evade it completely.

I don't think Sulki has much if any money, but if he does he'll chip in.
NMorgan

Donator

Topic Posts: 9
Vikingr: Sulki

Post Number:#89  Postby mark » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:55 pm

To my American cousins, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

I had to google 'Deep Creek', looks very nice. :thumbup:

Yup, I'm hoping to completely dodge the plague if possible!
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#90  Postby mark » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:09 pm

I'm still alive, so far! :lol:

Okay so Torvaldr & Tryggr will pay for the accommodation for the night, I will settle that in the next update.

Anything else the PCs need to do/ask at the current scene? Are they ready to move on, if so what/where next? Are the PCs ready to set sail to East Anglia as soon as possible? Anything they wish to buy for the journey? Barrels, food rtc?

Hross will give the PCs 400d upfront, in a day or so, for transporting 4 horses (plus 8,000d to buy them), and another 400d when they return if they are still in reasonable condition.
mark

Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Sǫgur