147-868 Holr Sigr [OOC]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

Re: 147-868 Holr Sigr [OOC]

Post Number:#151  Postby mark » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:27 pm

So rent a house first then go to the church? If nothing interesting, then look for work? Is that correct?
mark

Site Admin

Topic Posts: 76
Vikingr: Game Master

Post Number:#152  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:59 am

yes as i think thats the plan as far as i can see.
Jon Reinhardt

Donator

Topic Posts: 29
Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Post Number:#153  Postby mark » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:13 am

Update incoming as soon as I get free time. Sadly, my son got sent home from school for coughing and has to wait for a COVID test result - so my free time is currently limited. Don't worry, we're very confident he doesn't have it, just the school s being over cautious - I'm sure that is good for the Nation, but it sucks for me. :lol:

So you know the drill, post now to add or question anything before the update is posted please. The PC's will be renting accomodation for one week, visiting a church and perhaps if necessary working for a week. Thanks.
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#154  Postby Bjorn Are Stolen » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:07 pm

mark wrote:Tryggr is from the karl social class. That isn't to say he could not be a sheep herder and be a different social class, but right now he is a karl and ought to live like one when he can.

This is actually a bit interesting for me; yes, I see your point; some people envy the people in higher social status than they're born into, and jumps at the chanse to live like the social class above their standing as soon as they get the chanse.

As for Tryggr, I've always played him a timid, humble person, a fatalistic character who is quick to resign to his fate, and who never fights for his rights. I also always envisioned him as the son of a poor unsuccessful father, and I thought that he had spent his last year or so as a poor sheep-herder, hardly above Thralls in social standing. That's why I asked about that willpower-roll. If you tell me that Tryggr actually is from a Karl social class, I've played him completely wrong all the time, and I also wonder why he'd settle for herding sheep in stead of rustling sheep the past year.
Bjorn Are Stolen

Topic Posts: 12
Vikingr: Tryggr

Post Number:#155  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:28 am

So we are getting fleeced again. Does someone whit better people skills want to step inn?
Jon Reinhardt

Donator

Post Number:#156  Postby NMorgan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:16 am

Sulki at this point is having difficulty coming up with anything polite or diplomatic to say to priests. :P I think we need to concentrate on building up funds to work with again. I know we just got some, but technically we're in debt and it was spent before we started. When people expect us to pay them for a 10 minute conversation while we're also stretching pennies for food and lodging for a week, we need to get a real income source. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that without looking for a few months' employment, which also means no freedom for adventuring.
NMorgan

Donator

Topic Posts: 25
Vikingr: Sulki

Post Number:#157  Postby mark » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:22 pm

From my point of view there seems to be a lack of consensus on what to do next, and therefore plans are a bit shaky. Also, I'm not really sure what the PCs expect to discover from speaking with a priest. I know I had indicated the church might have some information, but most likely that is the central church administration.

Limited cash flow could be a problem over time. Perhaps sell an asset or get a loan? Maybe the new sword that's being made would sell well?

Rustling ought to be highly profitable but I'm not sure if the PCs have enough of the right skills (maybe), but rustling will require research/local-knowledge, loan & investment to actually get horses and tack to steal other horses effectively. Where would they raid? Northumbria & Mercia might not be great places to raid currently.

Pirating could also be very profitable, but highly dangerous and a longer potential wait to find a lucrative target - assuming the PCs don't want to attack Northumbrian, Norse, Old Saxon or Mercian vessels.
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#158  Postby Scipio » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:37 pm

Yeah, priority one has to be to get some funds. Getting our ship and do some raiding seems the best bet if no one has proper mercenary work. Hiring out as whatever we can (mercenaries, guards, craftsmen, labourers depending) won't do much more than pay for food and lodging.

We need to go a-mission-ing, but we need money to do so. My suggestion is to live very carefully and look for the best paid work we can get until we get our ship, then see if there's a monastery somewhere someone isn't guarding too well...

For now, Biarni intends to pay the priest just enough that he won't be insulted and hopefully answer some questions about the town and the Church. What do I roll to estimate his price without having to ask?
Scipio

Topic Posts: 51
Vikingr: Biarni

Post Number:#159  Postby mark » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:03 am

Reply below with Biarni's Insight roll.
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#160  Postby Scipio » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:59 pm

mark wrote:Reply below with Biarni's Insight roll.

Scipio rolled 1d100 and got a total of 73:

Biarni doesn't have a clue, so he gets one silver for each of us present.
Scipio

Post Number:#161  Postby jezreel » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:45 pm

sorry for lack of postingings recently

having a tough time (as are so many) keeping my business afloat, son and father and friend in hospital etc
Will check in when I can, but am still keen to be involved
I'm happy for others to make decisions for Gunnar if I'm out of the loop when needed
You have all got a fair taste of the strapping young Viking with a special ability to put his foot in it, but a good mate to have alongside in a bar fight
jezreel

Topic Posts: 3
Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Post Number:#162  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:33 pm

jezreel wrote:sorry for lack of postingings recently

having a tough time (as are so many) keeping my business afloat, son and father and friend in hospital etc
Will check in when I can, but am still keen to be involved
I'm happy for others to make decisions for Gunnar if I'm out of the loop when needed
You have all got a fair taste of the strapping young Viking with a special ability to put his foot in it, but a good mate to have alongside in a bar fight

Hope things are getting better for you. Especially now when we are nearing christmas. 2020 is a bad year for a lot of people. But because of that it will just get better as soon av this covid thing is done. and it cant last forever :D
Jon Reinhardt

Donator

Post Number:#163  Postby mark » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:20 pm

Sorry to hear things are bad Steve. Hope they improve quickly, especially for your loved ones.

Gents,

It isn't clear to me if you are awaiting some new interaction from the priest. The gold medallion is with Biarni, but not been shown to the priest or questioned about it. The priest has had no further questions at all that I can see.

Do the players want to move the scene on, are they finished here? If we are ready to move on then we need to consider the search for casual work for a week. Thanks.
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#164  Postby NMorgan » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:53 pm

Ditto. Prayers and well wishes to you and yours Steve.

I think other than the medallion (hopefully Biarni will pipe in soon) and the questions Sulki just posed, I think that's probably it for the scene. Then I guess a search for casual work and presumably a visit to the cathedral's witch hunter office.
NMorgan

Donator

Topic Posts: 25
Vikingr: Sulki

Post Number:#165  Postby Scipio » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:20 pm

Apologies.

Find out about the Jarl, find the witch hunter, look for work. In that order, I guess.
Scipio

PreviousNext

Return to Sǫgur