78-868 Gjald [IC]

Sagas: The tales of the player characters' adventures. This is where the main game threads live.

Re: 78-868 Gjald [IC]

Post Number:#241  Postby jezreel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:10 pm

Gunnar twirls the magic standard artfully

" No army can prevail against the might of this baby!"

"Just stay close to me, and we're getting out of this hole"
jezreel

Vikingr: Gunnar 'Ǫxbrjótr'

Post Number:#242  Postby mark » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:33 pm

Fæder Eadward replies to Sulki, "Religious instruction, how to worship our Lord, prayers, Eucharistia and so on. A few hours, or perhaps a day, at the church before the baptisms tomorrow. Are you being baptised, Sulki?"

Eucharistia [Latin] = Eucharist/(Holy)Communion
mark

Site Admin

Vikingr: Game Master

Post Number:#243  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:42 am

" We should do this outside of the town as not every one here is to happy about this nailed god. So lets keep it outside the city" Dolfer says trying to understand as much as possible from what the man says.
Jon Reinhardt

Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Post Number:#244  Postby NMorgan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:29 pm

mark wrote:Fæder Eadward replies to Sulki, "Religious instruction, how to worship our Lord, prayers, Eucharistia and so on. A few hours, or perhaps a day, at the church before the baptisms tomorrow. Are you being baptised, Sulki?"

"I am, yes." Sulki answers, careful to keep his tone neutral. "Though I fear our instruction must take place outside of the city due to... well.. sensitivities. As I said, many mistrust and will take time to warm to Inn Nýi Siðr, so, for now, it is best for all if we conduct our activities apart."
NMorgan

Vikingr: Sulki

Post Number:#245  Postby mark » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:09 pm

Although a single, old & unarmoured man ought to be pretty easy for several well equipped warriors to overpower, the men notice the priest isn't completely unarmed, on his belt he wears a knife and a club.

Fæder Eadward looks at Dolfr and then at Sulki before replying confidently, "The Hālga Gāst is with me and Iēsūs Christus watches over me, I have no fear for my personal safety, or yours for that matter. I am here to spread the word of Ūre Dryhten, and so I am only too happy should I disrupt hǣþendōm. The church is the proper place for your instruction and it is where I intend to go. Now, do you intend to let me in or not?"

His words, "Iēsūs Christus" are unknown, but they sound a bit like it could be another name for Kristr. His tone is relaxed and friendly, but there is a certain insistence as he speaks, highlighting that devoted men are always hard to Influence...

Iēsūs Christus [unknown language] = meaning unknown
Hālga Gāst [Anglian] = Holy Ghost
word of Ūre Dryhten [Anglian] = word of Our Lord (God)
Kristr [East Norse] = Christ
hǣþendōm [Anglian] = heathendom, paganism, the belief and practices of heathen people.
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#246  Postby NMorgan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:04 am

After the stress and uncertainty of the past few weeks, Sulki wants very, very much to growl in frustration, and for just a brief moment, considers with relish the idea of reaching out and wringing the old man's scrawny neck like a chicken's... but, he stops himself. Instead, he explains pleasantly, "It is not yours nor my own safety that I am chiefly concerned with, Father, but rather that of the peace that both my lords and your king desire and hope to achieve. That peace, and also the blood of thousands of both your countrymen and mine that must surely spill needlessly, should it fail for any reason. No Englar is to set foot within the city until such time as the peace has been fully transacted and we are withdrawn. It is a matter of religious tension, yes, but also of military sense and practicality. Weighed against the many widows and fatherless children that must be the result of peace's failure, surely your... soon to be our... Christus cares less for the 'where' and more regarding the instruction itself and the results it brings?"
NMorgan

Post Number:#247  Postby mark » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:37 pm

Fæder Eadward counters (still in Anglian), "Sulki, you are sadly misguided but all will be well now you have chosen to seek salvation. In fact, I urged Burghred cyning not to strike this deal since one cannot defeat evil by making a compromise. Better to eradicate it entirely, cut it off like an arm with the grēne rotian and be done with it. After your instruction you will come to understand that good Christianus men who die fighting the scourge of hǣþendōm will become martirs and will rest in eternal bliss alongside Ūre Dryhten in heofonum. Besides, I should very much like to visit the ecclēsia cathedrālis again and speak with the biscop, is he well?"

grēne rotian [Anglian] = green rot (gangrene)
ecclēsia cathedrālis [unknown] = meaning unknown
Christianus [unknown] = meaning unknown
biscop [Anglian] = bishop
Ūre Dryhten in heofonum [Anglian] = Our Lord in heaven
martirs [Anglian] = martyrs
cyning [Anglian] = king
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#248  Postby Scipio » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:54 pm

Biarni, able to follow the gist of the conversation, runs off to find Arnis. He intends to ask the man to gather his crew and have them all wait, spread out, in the street leading from the gate to the Christ-hof.

*Let's look like there are some fighting-men in the city, at least.*
Scipio

Vikingr: Biarni

Post Number:#249  Postby jezreel » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:22 am

Gunnar calls after Biarni, confused

"Where you going?"
"What's going on?"
jezreel

Post Number:#250  Postby Scipio » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:21 pm

Biarni calls back, speaking as fast as he thinks Gunnar will understand to make it hard for the Christ-wizard to catch his meaning. "Ifwecan'tgetridofhim, stallhimatleast."
Scipio

Vikingr: Biarni

Post Number:#251  Postby jezreel » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:24 pm

Gunnar doesn't have much idea of what is going on, but smiles nonetheless at Biarni's retreating back, and waves his hand in a hopefully encouraging gesture
jezreel

Post Number:#252  Postby Jon Reinhardt » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:15 am

Dolfer stops to think for a while " I though you where going to teach us about the benefits of this new faith and what so great whit it. Not that we likely want to kill all our kinsfolk after you have blessed us. It not so that any of us dont like or old god or have gotten a new understanding of the world and has a need for this conversion. This is a result of a negotiation and it is demanded of us. So this does not happen whit a light heart." Dolfer pauses and looks at the man " You are not a Dane so you dont know the problems this might give us later. So just trust me when i say its better for everyone that this happening and you stay out of the castle and the other danes for now." Then Dolfer turns to the others and blink.
Jon Reinhardt

Vikingr: Tjodolfr

Post Number:#253  Postby NMorgan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:01 pm

***ecclēsia cathe... What? That doesn't sound Northumbrian. And we don't know anything about a bishop here. Probably dead or sent north. This one's going to love that.***

Sulki nods in agreement with Dolfr's words without having meant to do so, his friend having spoken much of what Sulki himself was feeling. He was starting to not like this hard-headed priest. It did not help that he did not particularly want to be washed in the first place. One thing said was interesting though... apparently, the nailed God kept a corpse-hall of warriors like Odin? Unfortunately, it sounded like you had to go around killing people like himself.

***hurry Biarni, this old fool just wants all of us dead and isn't going to listen to reason. I'll have to blindfold him and stuff his ears with cloth from somewhere.***
NMorgan

Post Number:#254  Postby mark » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:40 pm

Tjodolfr tries to say...
Jon Reinhardt wrote:" I though you where going to teach us about the benefits of this new faith and what so great whit it. Not that we likely want to kill all our kinsfolk after you have blessed us. It not so that any of us dont like or old god or have gotten a new understanding of the world and has a need for this conversion. This is a result of a negotiation and it is demanded of us. So this does not happen whit a light heart." Dolfer pauses and looks at the man " You are not a Dane so you dont know the problems this might give us later. So just trust me when i say its better for everyone that this happening and you stay out of the castle and the other danes for now." Then Dolfer turns to the others and blink.

...but his Anglian just isn't good enough, so what he actually says is is in fragmentary, broken sentences, "You teach us the New Way and what so great. We not kill kinsfolk after. We still like Old Way, no need change. We have do this for deal, we no want to. We not happy."

Dolfer pauses and looks at the man and then adds, "You not Dane, you not get problem. It better for all you stay out now."

Fæder Eadward considers Dolfr's broken words carefully as he considers his body language and any deeper meaning...

Insight Roll
mark rolled 1d100 and got a total of 9:
mark

Site Admin

Post Number:#255  Postby mark » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:10 pm

Fæder Eadward replies to Dolfr (still in Anglian), "You think I am concerned about what you, one of the faithless, believe is best for everybody? No, I am not. Iēsūs Christus has mercifully shown you the light, but you must want to walk into it otherwise you cannot be saved and when you die all of you will burn forever in Hel. I have the power to help save you from eternal damnātio, but ..."

Dolfr doesn't fully understand what the man says, but he knows something about Hel, is it the same place he knows?

Fæder Eadward begins to speak as if reciting something committed to memory, a spell perhaps, "...you must repent and be baptised, every one of you, in the name of Iēsūs Christus for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Hālga Gāst.

He adds in his normal tone, "If you wish to repent, you must choose to obey me and listen to my instructions so that I may guide you onto the path of salvātiō."

Fæder Eadward speaks more forceable now, although he is far from hostile, "Now, for the last time, let me in! Otherwise I shall go and report that I am not welcome here in Snotingaham, that none of you will follow my instructions and therefore have demonstrated no desire to be saved. What is it to be?"

damnātio [unknown] = meaning unknown
Iēsūs Christus [unknown] = meaning unknown
salvātiō [unknown] = meaning unknown
Hālga Gāst [Anglian] = Holy Ghost
Hel [Anglian & East Norse] = Hell
mark

Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Sǫgur